Notices
Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Takes Massive Dump On C4 Owners

Old 01-19-2000, 07:00 PM
jbread
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After I returned from my third trip to the Corvette factory, Labor Day 99, as I was driving to work the following week, a rock fell from a bridge and crushed the glass hatch on my 94 Coupe. This was very disappointing, since I was very eager to sell my 94 and buy a 2000 Millenium Yellow convertible.

I thought it would be no big deal to get parts, especially a piece of glass, since accidents and vandals probably break them all the time. Boy, was I wrong.

A short 4 months later, the word filtering out of the GM parts bureaucracy is that they are going to DISCONTINUE MAKING THE HATCH!!

None are available new anywhere in the USA; if you're lucky you can find one off a totalled vette in a junkyard.

Thanks, GM. I buy into the hype, join Corvette clubs, subscribe to the magazines, buy the jackets and T-shirts, travel to the Museum (Labor Day 94, 97 and 99), the whole package. And now I am the proud owner of a beautiful Admiral Blue (I've won 11 trophies in car shows) Corvette that is an expensive piece of junk without a hatch.

This is the reality of owning one of GM's "premier" cars. If the numbers in some bean counters spreadsheet don't add up, you are tossed to the wolves.

Makes you want to buy another Corvette, doesn't it?

"Heated Liftgate Hinged Glass, PN 12523677"

Jay Drybread
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Old 01-21-2000, 11:49 AM
GreyGhost
CF Senior Member

I feel your pain in this matter. Something like the hatch you would think they would keep making or be able to get pretty easy. As the cars get older the harder it is to fing factory parts. I have spent many hours searching at Carlisle and other vette shows for parts for my vette. I have an older vette and new parts are not around but I still love the car. Its something you put up with if you love the Corvette as much as I do. I have been through a lot with mine and I still love it..would never trade it. Something about getting behind the wheel and driving it down the road... you can not beat it.

All I can say it stick in there, if you love vettes and have the "passion" for them..its all part of the fun of owning one.

I would love to see some of the late model corvette owners drive the older vettes. I see of their posts about the turn signal is to loud or worred the car would be to harsh if the got the Z51? Heck, my car rattles your kidneys when you go over a shadow. Its all part of the love of corvettes, some poeple are just "owners" of corvettes and just drive them but I have the passion..doesnt matter what year vette, they are all great.

There is corvette junkyard neary Philly Pa, they should have the glass you need. I foret the name but someone on here knows it.

Just stick in there.

Bryan
Old 01-22-2000, 12:21 AM
sorka
CF Senior Member

Pardon my ignorance, but aren't auto manfacturers who sell cars in the US required by law to maintain a supply of replacement cars for something like 10 or 20 years?

-Alan
Old 01-23-2000, 02:59 AM
VegasLT4CE

Same story with the LTPWS Sensors..Discontinued by GM (Although they did not make the originals and I heard that the company that did went under). But some other company is selling sensors through Ecklers, TLD-Corvette and others. Thank goodness someone did on that one since I just lost one. There is a parts law, but it like everything else is governed by supply and demand, which I would imagine is pretty low on a piece of hatch glass. That is why convertibles rule.

Rock off a bridge? Ouch!

Old 01-23-2000, 04:12 PM
Canzr1
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In I Veteran

They don't even make the "necessary" LT-5 red plug wires for the ZR-1 anymore, what a crock.

Old 01-24-2000, 12:16 PM
jbread
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by sorka
Pardon my ignorance, but aren't auto manfacturers who sell cars in the US required by law to maintain a supply of replacement cars for something like 10 or 20 years?

-Alan
I searched the DOT web page and didn't find any reference to any law requiring anyone to make parts. I emailed the general counsels office of the DOT asking if they could cite a law in this area. Odds are there isn't, otherwise GM wouldn't do this. What a low class organization.

Old 01-24-2000, 12:22 PM
jbread
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by VegasLT4CE
Same story with the LTPWS Sensors..Discontinued by GM (Although they did not make the originals and I heard that the company that did went under). But some other company is selling sensors through Ecklers, TLD-Corvette and others. Thank goodness someone did on that one since I just lost one. There is a parts law, but it like everything else is governed by supply and demand, which I would imagine is pretty low on a piece of hatch glass. That is why convertibles rule.

Rock off a bridge? Ouch!

GM tried to peddle a similar lie when I called their Parts HQ in Grand Blake MI. They tried to claim the hatch maker had gone under and they were waiting for sample approval from the new manufacturer. Of course, the hatch maker is PPG, and they aren't close to going out of business. Just another example of GM "sweating the details". Maybe in GM speak the word "details" means "lies".

Old 01-27-2000, 01:06 AM
CGR99
CF Senior Member

Cruise-In I Veteran

Old 01-28-2000, 04:16 PM
Ryan Adams

This is a post to update the server times for this topic.
Old 01-29-2000, 03:04 AM
jbread
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by CGR99
Thanks for the link. I emailed PPG and got an honest answer in one day. Check this out.

The part you are looking for is a DB8698 GTY. We have been trying unsuccessfully for the past two years to get GM to resume production of this part. You seem to be running in to the same problem. PPG had just made the glass for this vehicle and it was then sent to a company for fabrication.
That company went out of business and no one has taken over the process. PPG is only the glass manufacturer. We currently do not make the glass for this vehicle since there is no one to fabricate it. You could try going to a company such as Viracon that makes small runs of parts to see if they
could help you or at least direct you to a source. Their number is 507-451-9555.

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM Takes Massive Dump On C4 Owners

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: