Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Trailer choice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 01:03 PM
johninar
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to be a Draw-Tite distributor years ago. It shouldn't be too tough for a good hitch place that does fabrication to modify a hitch for the C6 Z06. We used a local shop that sold trailers/hitches/brakes etc, when we had a new model car that did not have a hitch available. Those guys were very good at modding a hitch for a new vehicle. You might give that a try.
Good luck.
With all I've read about the new Z06, I sure wish I had that problem, what a sweet ride.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I went a little larger as I carry two full sets of wheels and a tool box. It's a 5x8 trailer from Northern with 12" wheels which makes all the difference in trailering. Backing up is also much easier when it's longer.

Oh the missle launcher is to carry my jack handle.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:51 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Got the hitch on, going to be buying a trailer soon.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Ragtop, how was the install of the hitch? pics?
Old 02-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by Dolfan
Ragtop, how was the install of the hitch? pics?
Went pretty well. Getting the little retainer things up in the frame rails was a bit frustrating, but it just takes a little patience. I'm still surprised I was able to get the Loudmouths back in place afterward. I'd always heard you couldn't use the Drawtite with them, but I guess I heard wrong. You can't even see the hitch if you don't know it's there.

Old 02-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Can you list the trailer weights empty. Someone mentioned a max of 500 tow weight? That sound about right??

Looking to pull four wheels/tires for DE and the usual compliment of tools/ jacks/etc.

Pulling with 02 C5
Old 03-06-2006, 11:16 AM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Well, I picked up the 40X48 trailer with the 12" wheels this week for a crazy price of $169 from Northern Tool. Couldn't pass that up. I like the one from TSC, but went with the low cost solution.

I've got it together and now I'm working ona plan for the tire craddle and equipment box. Too bad diamond plate is so expensive or I'd put that down for the floor. Anyone know how much expanded metal would be?
Old 03-06-2006, 12:55 PM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got it together and now I'm working ona plan for the tire craddle and equipment box. Too bad diamond plate is so expensive or I'd put that down for the floor. Anyone know how much expanded metal would be?
Used diamond plate isn't very expensive, bought it at our local yard store (Wichita, KS). I think I paid $40-$60 for the 2 pieces on my 40x48 trailer.

Dave G.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Looks like my plan now is to go witha 1/2 ply base and I'll build my tire craddle into that with two 2X6's in a "V" configuration to store the tires and I've checked into covering the whole top using truck bed liner material (line-x type stuff) to give it a good durable coating.

I'll post a photo or two once I get this done.

I think I'll replace the bulbs with LED's as well to reduce power drain of the lighting circuit, Anyone do this?
Old 03-06-2006, 07:46 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Here's my rig on her maiden voyage:
Old 03-07-2006, 09:39 AM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

03Ragtop, that trailer looks longer than the 4' model oterhs have maybe 5-6'. Looks like you've got a plywood top and wheel chalks with tiedowns. How's that all working?
Old 03-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

03Ragtop, that trailer looks longer than the 4' model oterhs have maybe 5-6'. Looks like you've got a plywood top and wheel chalks with tiedowns. How's that all working?
It's the 4x8 foldable HF trailer. The wheel chocks are only there to position the tires and are only bolted through the wood. The tie downs are bolted through the frame of the trailer. The front of the box is bolted through frame, and since there wasn't any frame at the back of the box, I had to add a steel "strap" underneath the plywood to bolt the box too. Works great.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:32 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Another TSC/NT 4x6 trailer

I bought the 4x6 assembled/welded trailer that you see at Tractor Supply. They actually have them at Northern Tool now. They are made by Carry-On Trailers. The extra 2ft is perfect over the 40"x48" trailers.

I did mine a little different from the ones you see pictured here. Instead of standing all 4 wheel/tires in the front (which is the easiest way). To avoid excessive tongue weight. I installed my Contico bin in the front. Then I stack the wheel/tires flat 2 high behind the bin. They just fit the length of the trailer and the weight balance on the tongue and trailer is very even. It also allows me to slide my 10x10 pop-up canopy along the side. Still have room for cooler and other junk if need be.

I weighed everything on a bathroom scale. The "stuff" weighs in at roughly 300lbs. The trailer weighs about 250lbs. So I'm closer to 600lbs of towed weight including trailer. Don't even notice it back there.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:06 AM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

I agree for those of you that can handle the bigger size of the 4X6 trailer it's probably better. With 2 vettes and two other vehicles and extra wheels packages in my garage **** eis a premium and the small trailer will fit in a corner without too much disruption.

I'll post photos of mine about this weekend as I hope to finish up, SCCA season opens next weekend here.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Gearheadotaku
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Trailer tire speeds

been doing some trailer shopping myself, thanks for posting all the photos, they are a big help. Have a harbor freight store in town and saw one of the trailers picured here. the wheel/tire had a warning label "do not exceed 55 mph" is it the little made in china tires that fail, or the bearings? swapping to regular car tires on the 12" rims may fix that, and lower bearing speed. Does anyone have their trailer bounce around excessively? With carrying only 1/2 the load it's rated at, I thought about removing a leaf from the spring pack.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:35 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 253 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Gearheadotaku
been doing some trailer shopping myself, thanks for posting all the photos, they are a big help. Have a harbor freight store in town and saw one of the trailers picured here. the wheel/tire had a warning label "do not exceed 55 mph" is it the little made in china tires that fail, or the bearings? swapping to regular car tires on the 12" rims may fix that, and lower bearing speed. Does anyone have their trailer bounce around excessively? With carrying only 1/2 the load it's rated at, I thought about removing a leaf from the spring pack.
About 5 of my buddies and I have the HF trailer, we all like them very much. I can tell you, many guys (not me of course) have had the tires significantly higher that 55 with no ill effects (I guess so far, YRMV). You can buy a trailer with 12" rims for slightly more $ if you're concerned, but I think they have the 55 mph warning on them also. There's only one leaf, so can't go that route, but they trailer very nicely, no need to mess with that. Worst part about them is the assembly - make sure you have an impact - battery well charged or air. There is a million nylock nuts and bolts, and by hand it would take two days.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

I posted this to the Z06 forum as well.

I've just finished my small tire trailer and mounted the draw-tite hitch this weekend. Last night I wanted to do a test run to see how things worked out an had something odd.

While parked in the driveway with the trailer attached and lights hooked up I noticed in the display on the dash the following:

Service Traction System
Service Active Handling

I thought great something has now just gone wrong even though it was fine 5 minutes before when I backed it up to the trailer. I drove the car about 2 miles on a test then took off the trailer and the messages now don't appear

I thought maybe there is something that sensed the weight on the hitch to the rear of the car so I stood on the hitch without the trailer and got no messages.

Anyone have an idea what's up here?

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Trailer choice?

Old 03-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

While parked in the driveway with the trailer attached and lights hooked
up I noticed in the display on the dash
So this was before towing the trailer, correct?

How did you connect the running, brake and signal lights? With a
module powered by a conductor from the battery or just by splicing
into the OEM harness?

Old 03-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

spliced into the wiring harness just in front of the exhaust on the passenger side of the car. Did this within about 2" of the plug connector.

Did my tests with a light to make sure I had the right yellow/green/brown wires and the lights are working OK.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:29 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Just a note of caution to those who buy the HF trailer or from any source where the trailer is made in China: Pull the hubs and carefully check the bearings for any grit or dirt. You really don't get a lot of bearing grease in any of these trailers, so it's a good idea to completely clean the bearings, inspect the races and re-grease with a good quality wheel bearing grease.

The 12" wheel/tire combo is rated for more weight than the 8" tire and although there is a sticker that says not to exceed 55mph, the 12' tires will easily handle freeway speeds.

Quick Reply: Tire Trailer choice?