Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any good shops in Charlotte, NC that work on our cars??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any good shops in Charlotte, NC that work on our cars??

I used to get More Perf. to do my basic work but they closed shop recently.

Anyone know of a good shop for basic maintance and even advanced stuff??
Old 03-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Cisitalia
Racer

What happened to More Performance? I thought they were doing well.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:21 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I don't know of any Vette specific shops. I know a few good mechanics in the area. One is between Indian Trail and Monroe, and the other works in Mint Hill. Depending on what you have in mind, they are both trustworthy, and know Vettes pretty well.

OR if the price is right, bring it to me in Albemarle!

Last edited by davidfarmer; 03-25-2006 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:45 AM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

I don't know what happened but more closed shop.

We need to live in TX and be surrounded by LGM, MTI, etc..
Old 03-25-2006, 10:59 AM
MazdaratiRob
Advanced

There is a great shop located up I77 called Big Pine Key Motorsports. However, you have to go through an interview process and pass muster before they will work on your car. Wait a minute. I forgot. Last time I was there I had to do all the work on my car while the chief mechanic stood around drinking cheap beer. Maybe it was because it was a Mazda. He did help me bleed my brakes since that is a two man job, but I had the hard part which was pump the brake pedal.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:31 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MazdaratiRob
There is a great shop located up I77 called Big Pine Key Motorsports. However, you have to go through an interview process and pass muster before they will work on your car. Wait a minute. I forgot. Last time I was there I had to do all the work on my car while the chief mechanic stood around drinking cheap beer. Maybe it was because it was a Mazda. He did help me bleed my brakes since that is a two man job, but I had the hard part which was pump the brake pedal.
You still in Birmingham?

Yea, that's right. We had that Mazda up on jack stands in the BPKMS garage complex and you sat in the driver's seat drinking beer, listening to Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty playing from my IPOD, pumping the brake pedal when I asked you to "pump", while I was out there doing all the manual labor at each wheel, and you were bitching about how hard it was.

What the hell is wrong with this picture?
Old 03-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06 Silver Bullet
I don't know what happened but more closed shop.

We need to live in TX and be surrounded by LGM, MTI, etc..
It amazes me that we live in one of racing's hottest areas, and there's not a dedicated 'Vette performance shop in the area. I can find numerous BMW and Porche dedicated performance shops throughout the area, but GM performance places are more scarce than a virgin in a **** flick.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by Falcon
more scarce than a virgin in a **** flick.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:06 AM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

So what is the closest decent vette shop then??

Any in Raleigh or Greensboro??
Old 03-26-2006, 10:23 AM
Nitro-C5

Received 3,060 Likes on 904 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'12, '14-'15

Go see Nick Williams in Moorsville. He is about to open his shop and has been working on F-Bodies and Vettes through his families shop in Ulla, NC for the past (3) years. Family owns Mid State Machine Shop and Tiger Rear Ends.

I swear by him as he has done work on my new GTO (Supercharged 550hp) and the work on my Vette (Supercharged 850hp) and will do engine work on my new TrailBlazer SS...since More has started having problems about a year ago. More did (3) motors for me on my Vette all of which I was happy with but now that they are not around I will only bring my vehicles to Nick.

Not only is Nick a hell of a good guy he is innovative as well as he was the first person in the United States to design and build a 90mm Throttle Body for the F.A.S.T intakes (this was about a year before FAST even designed their own) He did this himself on his 5 Axis C&C Machine. Several hundred people on this forum using his product.

He is quite busy right now but give him a call and tell him I referred you to him and I promise you will be happy with the quality of the service.

Nick Williams: 704-433-1428

Rick Belden
Charlotte, NC
Old 03-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Cisitalia
Racer

Rick,

What happeded to More Performance? Why are they out of business? My friend and I have used them in the past and I thought they were pretty good.

Thanks, Brad
Old 03-26-2006, 12:40 PM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

Great I will try Nick out.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:11 PM
Nitro-C5

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Cisitalia
Rick,

What happeded to More Performance? Why are they out of business? My friend and I have used them in the past and I thought they were pretty good.

Thanks, Brad

Brad,
I used More for 4 1/2 years and overall was very happy with them. Owner Mike Osh I always thought was a good engine builder. He built me a few strong ones over the years. I did have a little problem with my last motor (although I cannot say if it was faulty parts which I had actaully purchased or faulty installation which More did)...Mike did the rebuild and gave me a pretty decent discount so again no real compalints here. Still to this day am not 100% sure what happened to them

I got along very well with all the employees and have referred numerous people to them over the years. Most everyone I have talked to did have a good experience with them with the exception of (2) individuals whom I know quite well that did in fact have some pretty major complaints. One was a transmission/rear end issue (which More did make right) the other had to do with a motor that failed while racing which I still don't think was every resolved.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Nitro-C5

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Z06 Silver Bullet
Great I will try Nick out.

I called Nick earlier so he will be expecting your call. He has done about everything to (2) of my cars that you can do without total dissassembly of the motor and I can say I'm very happy with him. Best thing about him is that he is VERY honest!! If he is not sure of something he will tell you upfront Also found him to be an exceptional tuner on LSx motors.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Cisitalia
Racer

Thanks for the info Rick. I too liked Mike Osucha. One of the mechanics named Bob was real good. Very detailed and meticulus.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Nitro-C5

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Cisitalia
Thanks for the info Rick. I too liked Mike Osucha. One of the mechanics named Bob was real good. Very detailed and meticulus.

Actually not sure if this is true or not but Bob may actaully be doing something with Nick....I too like Bob alot a very good guy as well
Old 03-27-2006, 12:03 PM
c6rpowered
Intermediate

Default my turn

i used nick after MORE tried to fix the second engine they built for me,it ran quite well for couple hundred miles ...but most every one has heard my horror story about my MORE experience ,so we won't dwell on that now..nick knows his stuff ...and bob? nice fellow...doesn't think much of me ,but i understand that ..he lost his job there through no fault of his own..i consider it some misplaced anger towards me ..as far as a good vette shop...rippie built me a great engine,no problems so far and several of you can attest to the power it has......now to learn to turn and stop.!!

Get notified of new replies

To Any good shops in Charlotte, NC that work on our cars??

Old 03-27-2006, 12:07 PM
c6rpowered
Intermediate

Default to rick

you get your C-5 fixed??? hope to see you at some of the events this year,,you gotta come out and play with us at a nasa event..wow what a rush!!
johnny haskell
Old 03-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Falcon
It amazes me that we live in one of racing's hottest areas, and there's not a dedicated 'Vette performance shop in the area. I can find numerous BMW and Porche dedicated performance shops throughout the area, but GM performance places are more scarce than a virgin in a **** flick.
Time to open one up!
Old 03-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nitro-C5
Go see Nick Williams in Moorsville. He is about to open his shop and has been working on F-Bodies and Vettes through his families shop in Ulla, NC for the past (3) years. Family owns Mid State Machine Shop and Tiger Rear Ends.
Rick, where is his shop going to be in Mooresville?

Quick Reply: Any good shops in Charlotte, NC that work on our cars??