Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The right stuff

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 01:59 PM
Performance nut
Safety Car

Received 247 Likes on 113 Posts

Default The right stuff

I am going to be dedicating my C4 to autocrossing and road courses. For now, HPDE and autocrossing is where I plan to be. I am about to start the C4-C5 brake conversion and wanted to know what components to use. From what I have found is:

1) Hawk Blue's are good but the dust sticks to everything and is a real PITA to clean off (sometimes ruining paint).
2) Wilwood H pads are great and last a long time. Too bad they only make if for the C5's, which means I can run it up front but not in the back.
3) Hawk HP+ is a good pad to run for autocross. This seems to be popular with those who dont want to change pads when going autocrossing in their daily driver.
4) I didnt find much along the lines of brand of rotors though I read quite a few posts about cracking rotors on the track.
5) A shop recommended that I use Motul 600 brake fluid. He said it was an overkill for what I am using if for right now but if I decided to "kick it up a notch", I wouldnt have to change fluid out.

Any recommendations would be great. Thanks.

Last edited by Performance nut; 05-19-2006 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're going to C5 rotors, the NAPA ones are nice and cheap. They crack, but at $25 each, they're a throw-away item.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:01 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Carbotech XP brakes. The 12 series is full race, but 10s or so would be very good for what you are doing.

2. Motul 600 fluid is excellent!!

3. Rockauto.com for rotors. You can get a complete set delivered to your door for under $100!!!!!!!!

4. Repeat as often as necessary and get tons of seat time!!!!! Enjoy!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Performance nut
Safety Car

Received 247 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
1. Carbotech XP brakes. The 12 series is full race, but 10s or so would be very good for what you are doing.
The Carbotech, uh, tech disagrees. He thinks the pad will cool too much between runs to be effective during an autocross (at least at the start of run). For HPDE, he said it would be great once it warmed. Guy did not seem very convincing or helpful.

I did do more digging on the forum and called Performance Friction. Even though they highest they currently make for C4 brakes is the 97 compound, he said the 01 compound up front (C5 calipers) and 97 compound in the rear (C4 calipers) would be really good. I think I might give this a shot.

BTW, the guy I talked with at Performance Friction did say that they respond to customer demand. If enough C4 guys chimed in, they would consider making more stuff. FYI.

3. Rockauto.com for rotors. You can get a complete set delivered to your door for under $100!!!!!!!!
So, just order the Durastops, not the Durastop Performance? I dont like the Durastop Performance since they are crossdrilled but I guess that is why they crack so much. I dont mind changing out rotors so long as 1) they pretty much perform like the rest and 2)cost effective wise, it is cheaper to replace a $25 "X" times a year versus changing a more expensive rotor less frequent.

4. Repeat as often as necessary and get tons of seat time!!!!! Enjoy!!!

Get notified of new replies

To The right stuff

Quick Reply: The right stuff