Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$$$...COSTS to run entire T1 season???...$$$

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 08:12 AM
Scotty B
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
I'll just be happy and proud to be there. Joe
Very impresive attutude Joe, I can promise you with that kind of attitude you will do much better than you imagined at the big show in October!

sbw
Old 06-24-2006, 11:23 AM
NJCRUISER
Racer

Originally Posted by Scotty B
Very impresive attutude Joe, I can promise you with that kind of attitude you will do much better than you imagined at the big show in October!

sbw
Joe, make sure you dyno your motor after pocono. The double there is tough on the motor. I did something to mine their and I was down 15 hp or so at Mid O which did cost me 5 more places - IMHO
Having said that, I was proud to make the runoffs too first year of Nationals.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:22 PM
racetex
Advanced

Chris you really amaze me!! Here is a video that Ingle posted bragging about how to pester a viper http://peachstateposse.com/ipw-web/g...er_a_Viper.wmv Please take note how Ingle is over driving the car in the corners and then has the nerve to say how the viper is such an overdog. I have driven both cars in National races across the country. I think they both have pros and cons depending on the track. Please don’t sell the Z06 short it’s one hell car. Chris I hate 2 say it but SBW is right, quit your whining and self pity and concentrate on improving your driving. A lot of us in T1 are getting tired of it.

T1 is pretty expensive period. It has some great drivers that work hard and spend a lot of money to be competitive. I have 2 T1 vettes for sale and ready to race. One is a 2003 Phoenix built car and one is a 2001 NayKid racing built car. They are for sale for $30,000 each.

Jeff Robbins
Old 06-25-2006, 08:35 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Jeff, I'm very honored that you chose to get a login and password just to come to this thread and bash me. Have at it spanky...the thread is yours.

And by the way Joe, after running with you at Memphis, you will not be a backmarker and it's obvious why you made your maiden season to the runoffs. You have talent! C U there!
Old 06-25-2006, 09:15 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Here's the basics though per weekend. Again, this is for National competition...and I run the least expensive stuff out there:
Tires: $1000 (Kumhos with shipping)
Brakes: $300 (Carbotechs)
Rotors: $100
Entry fees: $250 average
Test day (if you choose to do so): $150 average
Racing Gas: $200
Towing fuel: $300 average - round trip
Hotel: $200 average for 3 days

That's about $2500. If you use Kumhos or some other tire with a contingency program, you can get some of that back. GM Performance also has contingency as does Summit Racing. You can sell your old tires to the DE guys for about $300 a set and maybe a set of old brakes or two to help as well.

Now you have to add in the cost of repairs, parts, etc and that can really get painful unless you are very lucky.

Catching this thread way too late, but I agree with Chris. Both he and I are running T1 on government salaries, he more successfully than I, though I've had my share of success and if I had it to do over again, I'd still do it. Over the last three years I've had experience I'll never forget (including my recent painful one) and made lifelong friends.

As an average, I think $3,000 per race is about right including everything for a shoestring budget kind of guy racing at the National level. This includes the repair and crash damage you really can't dismiss. My first two seasons I lost two motors ($5400 each or so not including labor to remove/install), one due to seized bearing, another had a timing chain failure then lost a harmonic balancer and grenaded.

Financially I was doing well until two weeks ago when I turned right on a straight and hit a wall at somewhere around 100 mph. That will set me back about $15-20k. Ouch.

The treaty I signed with my wife about a decade ago was that my annual nuclear officer bonus was mine to use on autosports. At the time it was only about $6k. Now that it has risen to $25k she has raised her eyebrows once or twice.

Since the 2003 season I've received four bonus checks and spent every penny on SCCA T1. I went into debt the first two season due to start up costs and full race seasons, then caught up last year and this with partial seasons due to my professional schedule. I am actually out of debt now, but will likely borrow once again to repair my car for next season.

So for me, I've done two full seasons and two partial seasons on about $100k out of pocket. I have extended my racing dollar with contingencies such as Chris mentioned above (Kumho's is particularly good), some local sponsorship (such as free tire changes), and some income off AMSOIL sales, so I've actually spent more than that on my racing.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 06-26-2006, 01:39 AM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by racetex
I have 2 T1 vettes for sale and ready to race. One is a 2003 Phoenix built car and one is a 2001 NayKid racing built car. They are for sale for $30,000 each.

Jeff Robbins
Jeff,

How's the Viper running? It looks pretty good from the results at the Sprints.

Ed
Old 06-26-2006, 07:36 AM
racetex
Advanced

Wrong again Ingle Iv'e been a member on this forum since 2004. Now do you understand when people tell you to think before opening your mouth.

Vipers running well. We were running 4th until the last lap when L Knupp ( vette ) pulled of with a problem. Another T1 driver lost his enging so I rented him my 2001 T1 vette. He started 4th and I started 5th. I was able to pass him on the start and keep him behind me.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:09 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by racetex
Wrong again Ingle Iv'e been a member on this forum since 2004. Now do you understand when people tell you to think before opening your mouth.
Oh that's right...you have 3 total posts now...including your last bash. I humbly apologize for my grievous error Oh Great and All Knowing Jeff.

PostsTotal Posts: 3 (0.01 posts per day)
Find all posts by racetex
Find all threads started by racetex
Old 06-26-2006, 11:27 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

: : :

and how many months until the run offs ???
Old 06-26-2006, 01:56 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just gotta say..........

I LOVE this T1 stuff!!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 04:09 PM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Are you guys as competitive on the track as you are as keyboard commandos???
Old 06-26-2006, 11:58 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by EnglandGreen
Are you guys as competitive on the track as you are as keyboard commandos???
Uh... I'd say that yes they are.

I didn't read the whole thread when I posted above. Looks like I stepped into another heated T1 debate. Always a good read.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:27 AM
undertaker
Race Director

Location: ECS : WTF did you break now and HTF did you break it this time
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

teach me how to drive fast cornhole worker??

Last edited by ERND IT; 06-27-2006 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:18 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

started out to be a good topic -- great opinions and some really good information...but enough with the bashing now...

Get it back on track or this thread is
Old 06-27-2006, 02:43 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

OK, OK, back on subject...

The cost of a "season" also depends on what you consider a season.

4 regional races at a local track to keep your license? Not much. Entry fees, 2 sets of used tires, 3-4 set of front brakes, 1 set of rear, 1-2 sets of rotors.

A 6-8 National race season to qualify for the Run-Offs? $2,500 to $3,500 per race. Just don't try to push too hard so you ensure no DNFs.

A full "go for it all and try to win/place/show at the Run Offs?" Much more per race, as development costs escalate as you try to find hidden speed, support before/at/after races becomes more involved and expensive, you support equipment gets more involved (a 1/2 ton pick-up and an open trailer hinders you).

I figure on spending $50K for the year, and I have NOT made this level of commitment, yet.

You really have to hand it to those people who have stepped up and "went after" this T1 stuff hard. Guys like SBW & Cindi, Lance Knupp, Jeff Robbins, the Aquilante gang, PJC, Chris, etc, they really set the bar high for us to reach.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:52 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
You really have to hand it to those people who have stepped up and "went after" this T1 stuff hard. Guys like SBW & Cindi, Lance Knupp, Jeff Robbins, the Aquilante gang, PJC, Chris, etc, they really set the bar high for us to reach.
I'm just semi-hard Dave. Hey, wait a minute...don't take that the wrong way. he he
Old 06-27-2006, 08:38 PM
racetex
Advanced

We have a couple of top notch teams that run a 2 to 5 car effort. NayKid, Phoenix and Lady Luck to name a few. These teams put a lot of time in all year long and very tough 2 beat at the big show. We run a two car team a Viper and a Vette. So I guess it depends on your goals as to how much money it cost. Good luck we would love to have you come out and run with us.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:04 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
I think it's simply amazing and awesome that someone is willing and ABLE to campaign a prancing horse and do well, as long as they are within the rules! I may drive the car that's on it's way out, but it's what I can afford and it's more fun than I can put into words. Do they give backmarkers airtime at the runoffs, I'm gonna need that!! I'll just be happy and proud to be there. To be in the NEdiv as a rookie and go my first year, I feel that is a personal accomplishment.

Joe
You are the man and most of us "wannabes" are living vicariously thru you and others like you!

You will get plenty of airtime from us....

jeff

Quick Reply: $$$...COSTS to run entire T1 season???...$$$