Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Data Loggers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
Data logged by a Racepak G2X.
Disclosure:

In order to display different left and right 'Y'-axis values on the chart
above, the data was exported from the data logger software (Datalink
II) into MSExcel.

With Datalink II, you overlay the traces in the same fashion but only
the left 'Y'-axis displays values. Otherwise, you see the same view
and much more if desired.

I can not speak to whether DL-1 and other logger software have the
one side of the 'Y' axis limitation, but I suspect so.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:18 PM
jlucas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Keefhardt
(and off the armco) at Watkins Glen.
No, that was the HART guys in the black Si's who were off track so much and went home with the blue stripe on the front bumper. Walsh was my instructor. I think I was there in an EX; got signed off even through it was my first school.

On Topic: These units we have been discussing have accelerometers in the base unit, plus GPS. AFAIK, they all combine the 2 together by default. I know for the DL1 it's an option that can be turned off if so desired. Also for the DL1, it has 7 inputs besides 4 individual wheel speed sensor inputs at your disposal, plus high & low level tach inputs, so adding inputs is just the cost of the sensor or tapping into stock wiring.

Slalom. Here's a standard XY graph plot from the DL1 analysis software. 3 variables graphed, all 3 with scales, and when you indicate on the graph the value of each is displayed. In example below, you can see all values at the 4.37sec point on the graph. This is also an example of heavy braking at the end of the back straight at MidOhio. (with or without gridlines)

Jon, I think you have to go to a little more expensive of system to get an ODB2 tap. (I know the DL1 guys are working on it as an add on, release date is unknown at this time though).

Last edited by jlucas; 06-22-2006 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:54 PM
JiminFL
Racer

I just ran a 2-day last month at WGI with my new TraqMate and I'm very pleased with it. Althought the G2X was just about shipping and TrackVision had committed to integrating it's data, I went with the TraqMate basic and I'm very pleased.

I'm writing this from the Chateau Elan and tomorrow it'll get it's 2nd event (3rd day) of logging here at Sebring.

I expect to do some very quick looking at the morning data over lunch, just to see if there are obvious areas to experiment with in the PM sessions, but seeing as I have no speed or lap time goals, it's primarily to geek out and analyze afterward, and it's WAY to have the friction circle on the video. For WGI it was about being able to produce the vid clips with virtual dash, and this setup did that very well at under $1k total (TraqMate basic).

Jim
Old 06-23-2006, 08:06 PM
NewC6Toy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I personally have a DL1 and like it very much. However, if $1000 bucks seems a little much just for trackdays, I stumbled across these guys.

www.maxqdata.com

It looks like you buy "a la carte". Seems to start at $199 for GPS only. A system about the same as the DL1 is $399. I would be interested in reading your impressions if any body picks one up.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:56 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JiminFL
Although the G2X was just about shipping...
I'm puzzled by your remark.

The G2X has been available for over 15-16 mos that I'm aware of.
I've had one since Aug '05.

If you are referring being able to export G2X data for use with
TrackVision, I was late to the party and I've been doing this
since February. The delay in my case was in receiving some
Firewire hardware necessary to transfer video from tape to my
notebook. Nothing to do with the G2X.

Last edited by Slalom4me; 06-23-2006 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:48 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NewC6Toy
It looks like you buy "a la carte". Seems to start at $199 for GPS only. A system about the same as the DL1 is $399. I would be interested in reading your impressions if any body picks one up.
Are they offering a stand-alone package like Racepak,
Race Technology, and Traqmate?
"Use your Pocket PC PDA or laptop to collect data in real time."
Or do you just get a module that requires additional
computing/recording power?

Their Fine Print:
"What do I need to buy in addition to the basic MQ unit?

You need either a Pocket PC or a laptop PC. The PC
"goes along for the ride" and collects the data from
the MQ module. It also provides the driver display.
Aside from the expense, there is also the matter of powering and
securing the additional computing hardware.

Runtime will be a consideration with either PC type. Think you'll
be getting on track with a notebook? Maybe for testing, but my
vote is 'probably not' for competition.

I have a JottoDesk (LEO-grade pedestal mount for a notebook),
a 3 lb Fujitsu tablet PC and a Lind DC voltage converter to power
the PC from the cigarette adapter. I use this for logging with
DataMaster but I wouldn't even try to take it out on track for fear
of having it flail me in the event of an incident.

DavidFarmer created a thread about another brand of what I call
a GPS module: FUEL GPS data systems - he comments further down
'the FUEL unit DOES require an external storage device,'

No provision for adding sensors to it, either. IIRC.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:04 AM
jlucas
Racer

I've been talking to the guys at Fuel, trying to help them with suggestions for their software. It is painfully basic at this point, so much so that I couldn't recommend it to anyone at this point. They are working on flash card storage and software enhancements, once that is done I will re-evaluate.

Again, I strongly urge anyone considering a purchase to really get to know the software analysis packages. The software is where you realize the value/power of the data you have collected. If you can't get what you need out of the software quickly and easily; you'll use it less or you'll have to spend more time to get the same value out. Also features like "time slip" help you see more specifically where time is being lost or gained. Once you have data you won't want to be without it.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:06 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any thoughts on the VBOX Mini or DriftBox?

http://www.vboxusa.com/driftbox/index.php
http://www.vboxusa.com/products.php

I'd been considering a HotLap (I sold my old one when I sold my Pro7 car), but then I was flipping through SportsCar and saw all the data acquisition stuff... some in the $399 range, some higher. Given a HotLap is $230 ... it seems worth some extra cash to be able to get a lot more information.

What's the low end of this market that does lap timing as a minimum?
Old 06-25-2006, 08:49 AM
jlucas
Racer

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Any thoughts on the VBOX Mini or DriftBox?
Found this on a UK site:
"The VBOX Mini is priced at £795" -> so that's $1445 US.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:19 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jlucas
Found this on a UK site:
"The VBOX Mini is priced at £795" -> so that's $1445 US.
The VBOX USA site shows the DriftBox at $750, though, which is in line with the TraqMate, etc.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

Originally Posted by jlucas
No, that was the HART guys in the black Si's who were off track so much and went home with the blue stripe on the front bumper. Walsh was my instructor. I think I was there in an EX; got signed off even through it was my first school.

Well then, that was me as your instructor at the licensing school at the Glen (D.K. is just my 'nom de guerre'). I remember warning the HART guys all weekend about their racing careers being short, due to 'race car bendage', if they kept testing the edges of the pavement. Raced with them at a 24 Hour later that year and they did bend up a car...or two....

Haven't played with Data acq. in the past 2 years...occupied with other stuff. I'll find you at some race weekend and you can guide me in what's new and different with DA.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:00 PM
JiminFL
Racer

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
I'm puzzled by your remark.

The G2X has been available for over 15-16 mos that I'm aware of.
I've had one since Aug '05.

If you are referring being able to export G2X data for use with
TrackVision, I was late to the party and I've been doing this
since February. The delay in my case was in receiving some
Firewire hardware necessary to transfer video from tape to my
notebook. Nothing to do with the G2X.
I'm probably way off with my comment, and did consider the G2X as I was looking around and shopping. I know someone who works for SuperChips and when I saw that MSD owned the maker of the G2X also, I asked about an employee discount. I was told not available yet and presumed that meant the G2X. Instead of arguing or waiting (and the TrackVision integration did seem to be almost or just ready), I went with the TraqMate. I think for me and my current experience level and goals the lack of a dash is actually a plus, and adding one later is still an option.

Bottom line - It does what I want and the software for analysis is plenty good to geek over.

It worked great at Sebring on Saturday, and if I get a clean lap or two put together with the TrackVision SW I'll post and share. Wish my brakes had lasted longer, though. Unfortunately, I didn't get video of the end of my pads as I went WAY deep into the safety pin with a middle pedal that felt more like a right-footed clutch than a brake.

Good news is I got it slowed up enough to make the turn and not take the escape road, and made no contact. Bad news, limped it home 2 hours to Orlando with nasty rotor abuse happening and now it's in for a new set of rotors and pads all around. I checked and had the car inspected before I went, and both the mechanic and I thought there was pad-a-plenty, but I can only assume the extreme temps changed the life expectancy.

Jim
Old 06-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Gary K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding the usefulness of GPS enabled data loggers...they don't typically rely on the GPS data alone as a source for data such as speed. The accelerometers that most also have allow them to interpolate between GPS data points and achieve much better data than GPS alone. It it the end-all of data acquisition? No, but the latest systems in the sub-$1k price range aren't bad at all for the money.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Data Loggers?