Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Track Day for a new C6 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 08:07 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default First Track Day for a new C6 Coupe

Okay, C6 Z51 track day prep... it's been a while since I've done a track day...
  • - Thanks Gary@Hardbar
    • - Hardbar Harness Bar
    • - Hardbar Lap Belt Mounts (x2)
    • - JetPilot Harness (x2)
  • - Thanks Randy@DRM
    • - DRM Brake Ducts
  • - Thanks Gene@FredBeans
    • - Base caliper brackets
  • - Thanks Dave@Northstar Automotive in Mountain View, CA
    • - PFC01 Brake Pads
    • - Alignment
  • - Thanks SoloTime
    • - Vinyl Numbers
  • - Thanks Cheapskate (me!)
    • - NAPA Brake Rotors

I plan to run Motul 600 brake fluid. What am I forgetting? Heading up to Thunderhill on June 30th with TEAM Racing (http://www.team-racing.org/) for a simple one-day track event.

What tools and spares should I pack? I'm planning on just driving the car up with no support vehicle and I'm sure the trackbox won't fit, and it's loaded with crap for my RX-7s, anyway...

glen

Last edited by gkmccready; 06-20-2006 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Cleanup lists
Old 06-20-2006, 09:12 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For a one-day you're probably set.

I always bring extra brake fluid and oil, and any wrenches I need to perform the standard maintenance (i.e. 19mm for removing wheels, 10mm for bleed, a small hose etc. etc.). Tire guage and my little cig-lighter compressor (works great for adding a lb or two).

Now that I have a trailer I throw alot more tools and stuff in there just to be sure, including spare pads and rotors (but again, for a 1-day you don't need that).
Old 06-21-2006, 02:35 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

The C6 is new enough to me I'm not sure what wrenches to bring "just in case" ... I keep hearing about Torx head bolts, though, so I suspect I should pack up a Txx set?
Old 06-21-2006, 11:10 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
The C6 is new enough to me I'm not sure what wrenches to bring "just in case" ... I keep hearing about Torx head bolts, though, so I suspect I should pack up a Txx set?
Probably not I don't have (in car) & never needed although Hand cleaner (goJo) & a roll of paper towels is a good idea also acouple of quarts of oil (You might need one)
Old 06-22-2006, 10:18 PM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bring a couple of folding chairs, cooler.lots of cold water, and speaking from breaking my z-51 coupe in at Hallet (turned 1k miles on first go around) I'd lower that back end, way to high. I say that because i parked my z-51 next to buddies C6 Z06 and although I've changed fenders to capture his look not price, his was lower at least an inch, then I remember the first ads from GM aboout that. That's my next move. Fun racing warranteed cars. My other is way modified and expensive to race.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:16 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97coupechuck
Bring a couple of folding chairs, cooler.lots of cold water, and speaking from breaking my z-51 coupe in at Hallet (turned 1k miles on first go around) I'd lower that back end, way to high. I say that because i parked my z-51 next to buddies C6 Z06 and although I've changed fenders to capture his look not price, his was lower at least an inch, then I remember the first ads from GM aboout that. That's my next move. Fun racing warranteed cars. My other is way modified and expensive to race.
Be careful lowering the back end by itself if you run on fast tracks. You need to retain proper rake in order to preserve the car's high-speed stability.

By all means, lower the car, but also make sure you have it realigned after lowering so all your angles are correct.

My C6Z is rock solid at speed running at factory height.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 06-23-2006, 07:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The only two tools you really need to bring are a torque wrench ( for wheels 100 ft lbs) and a deep 19mm socket, plus a tire gage to check air pressure before each run.

That is torque, not torx.

the cars rake must be kept or the car does get unstable at higher speeds. As Frank mentioned above lower the car but make sure yhou have it realigned afrer lowering and all your angles and rake are correct.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:29 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
The only two tools you really need to bring are a torque wrench ( for wheels 100 ft lbs) and a deep 19mm socket, plus a tire gage to check air pressure before each run.
You have more faith than I do, apparently. :-) I'm sure you're right, though, but I'll probably take along whatever I need to do atleast front brakes just in case...

glen

Get notified of new replies

To First Track Day for a new C6 Coupe

Quick Reply: First Track Day for a new C6 Coupe