Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That Joey Hand crash Saturday at Mid-Ohio...

Old 06-27-2006, 05:23 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

FWIW Safty items should not be taken lightly. One never really wants to spend X dollars but when you see something like this one or what happended to SubDriver in a concreat wall. Safty has no limit.

If those cars did not have a roll cage or minimal safty items, crunch.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:46 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
We see World Rally cars jumping all the time. What causes a car to "tumble". That is, some cars jump fairly flat, and land on their wheels. Conversely, some tend to flip over either frontwards (as this M3) or backwards. You can also see this in the pictures of the C6 Z06 at the Ring, where Jan Magnussen "bounced" and almost lost control on landing. Understanding the vehicle dynamics would give us (drivers) a better understanding of the cause, and possible mediation actions we could take to prevent "air time" from becoming a disastrous tumble.

Comments/ideas/response
I think what affected the way that BMW crashed was the way he hit the berm. If you watch the video more closely, you can see that he caught the front air dam and ripped it off. That could've easily pulled the front end down.

Also, Joey could've gotten off the gas as soon as he hit the grass. I don't know about jumping cars, but when you jump motorcycles, you can affect the what the bike does in the air by gassing it at a certain point or hitting the rear brake while you're in the air. If you get off the gas abrubtly or hit the rear brake, it brings the front end down.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:11 PM
jp32
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I find very interesting from the interview
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/grandam/27471/
was that despite this problem with the HANS device
There was fuel running down my back and into the roof of the car, and oil and stuff. The corner workers were yelling to get out of the car because it was going to catch fire, and I couldn’t get out because my HANS device was stuck in the window net, and the window was smaller than normal.
Joey is still very enthusiastic about HANS, saying
That’s number two for me and the HANS Device. That’s the second time the HANS Device saved me. They said there’s no way I could have survived the impacts without the HANS Device. It saved me again. In (a Toyota Atlantic car at) Milwaukee it saved me and here it saved me. I won’t drive without it if I have a chance. Not many people can say that they hit hard enough to have a HANS Device save them twice.
While he didn't say it explicitly, it seems that the driver's bottom line is: without the HANS device, he would have had much bigger injuries earlier in the accident and the escape part would be irrelevant if he were not wearing the HANS. I suppose that being unconscious is more of an impediment to escape than is a tangled HANS and window net. Kind of settles the "saves your neck" vs "impedes escape" argument - I think it is time to go get one before the next race.

Last edited by jp32; 06-28-2006 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Gburg
Pro

Originally Posted by xsiveone
I just watched him on Test Drive BMW M Series a few days ago with Tommy Kendall. Glad to hear that he's ok because that was a violent crash.

I recorded the Test Drive BMW M w/ Kendall and Hand the week before, on my DVR. I also recorded the race last Saturday, so I could see all of the action and hear the commentary. I watched the race first and then played back the Test Drive piece. I made the connection when Kendall introduced Hand. "Hey, thats the guy that flipped at Mid-Ohio!!!!" I will have to watch it again, to see if Hand drove-up, to Kendall, in the same BMW, that he crashed last Saturday.

Its is good that Joey Hand walked away from his crash.

Gburg

Last edited by Gburg; 06-28-2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:15 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jp32
What I find very interesting from the interview
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/grandam/27471/
was that despite this problem with the HANS device Joey is still very enthusiastic about HANS, saying

While he didn't say it explicitly, it seems that the driver's bottom line is: without the HANS device, he would have had much bigger injuries earlier in the accident and the escape part would be irrelevant if he were not wearing the HANS. I suppose that being unconscious is more of an impediment to escape than is a tangled HANS and window net. Kind of settles the "saves your neck" vs "impedes escape" argument - I think it is time to go get one before the next race.
the trick with the HANS is that he wouldn't have been alive/moving around long enough to know there was fuel running down his back and do something about it. Yeah, you might get a little tangled up when you try to get out of the car, but at least you get a chance to try

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: That Joey Hand crash Saturday at Mid-Ohio...