Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA Run Offs

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 10:42 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm putting on my boots already, not because of the snow in our forcast. Because the stuff is getting deep already. Viper vs Vette, the team that has worked the hardest and gets lucky will win the race(and has the fastest car).

Good luck to the Vette guys
And Scotty (this guy just doesn't give up)

Randy
Old 10-10-2006, 01:42 PM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The vipers actually have to run really heavy - 3700lbs with driver. C5's weigh 3280 with driver. They also get an intake restrictor as well
Old 10-10-2006, 04:31 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

waiting for Q2 live timing to start
Old 10-10-2006, 07:00 PM
AJRocketeer
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCA
I would not be so quick to jump to those conclusions fellas, while the top C5Z pilots, Ingle, Croyle, Knupp, Heinricy have tested one or two days all season at the Hartland Park Topeka track the Viper Team of NayKid Racing, Ferarri team of Zabinski have been here for at least three seperate three-day tests each not counting race weekends.

I personally watched NayKid go from running 1:53's to 1:48's last week while hitting the alignment platform inbetween every session looking for speed.

While watching the top C5Z pilots I saw transmission changes and a lot of missed sessions.

I bleed bowtie red but these guys have earned their speed and maybe if our guys worked a little harder they would be a little faster.

Ray

Well we all knew this was going to happen. Well all the people driving Corvettes, and one Viper driver.

Development!!!! Only developments naykid has made over the year was how to pull the sand out quicker. Sure was slick out there after Scotty turned that time... HMMMMM

And you know what is sad, I have only had maybe 1/20th of the time on track, and am only 1 second off, I sure hope they have more, or else that was a waste of money. But i guess it doesn't matter when you got a factory or millionaire backing it.

p.s. Who is the offical car of the SCCA? Easy question, it applys to both Club and Pro.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:08 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AJRocketeer
p.s. Who is the offical car of the SCCA? Easy question, it applys to both Club and Pro.
AJ your racing a viper and did quite well on day one. WHich I think was a smart move considering the "offical car of the SCCA"

Did it rain out in there today? only a few cars went out and times were slow. Yup rain in Topeka today.

fast time was 2:21

Last edited by AU N EGL; 10-10-2006 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AJRocketeer
And you know what is sad, I have only had maybe 1/20th of the time on track, and am only 1 second off, I sure hope they have more, or else that was a waste of money. But i guess it doesn't matter when you got a factory or millionaire backing it.
Yea, and reality is that SCCA amature racing is nolonger for the "little" guy. If you don't have a minimum of $100K budget for the season, you'll not be in the top 5%. No way, no how. NASA is about the only TRUE grass roots racing left if you want to field anything over 225HP.

SCCA will do their whole schtick on the "racer on a budget" and how "you too" can race just like so-and-so here who practices on used tires and does "OK"... Meanwhile the behind the scenes of how tough it is to just make enough races to qualify for the runoffs is absolutely NOT grassroots... When you're spending an average of $4000 per race weekend just to make it on used tires for practice and multi-heat cycle tires to race on... It's a slap in the face of the average shmuck and a real LIE SCCA is tellin'...

Mike
Old 10-10-2006, 07:24 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
waiting for Q2 live timing to start
Did I miss it? What happened?
Old 10-10-2006, 07:34 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Did I miss it? What happened?
Major rain. Only 5 or 6 cars went out.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:26 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Yea, and reality is that SCCA amature racing is nolonger for the "little" guy. If you don't have a minimum of $100K budget for the season, you'll not be in the top 5%. No way, no how. NASA is about the only TRUE grass roots racing left if you want to field anything over 225HP.

SCCA will do their whole schtick on the "racer on a budget" and how "you too" can race just like so-and-so here who practices on used tires and does "OK"... Meanwhile the behind the scenes of how tough it is to just make enough races to qualify for the runoffs is absolutely NOT grassroots... When you're spending an average of $4000 per race weekend just to make it on used tires for practice and multi-heat cycle tires to race on... It's a slap in the face of the average shmuck and a real LIE SCCA is tellin'...

Mike
The only flaw in your "NASA" point, Mike, is that NASA is not offering nearly what SCCA offers. NASA has a long way to go to get to the level of what we experience in SCCA. Not saying it won't to so, but it's not there now.

Is SCCA expensive? Heck yeah! To run up front it is going to be pricey. But to qualify for the Run Offs you don't have to spend big money; to win it, you do, plus have talent and time to test.

BTW: anyone who takes a green flag in any race series (NASA, SCCA or otherwise) just isn't your average shmuck.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:40 AM
Scotty B
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AJRatboy
And you know what is sad, I have only had maybe 1/20th of the time on track, and am only 1 second off,
Careful there aj, it might be hard to race with a broken arm from trying to pat yourself on the back...

Good luck to you and your daddy Saturday

sbw
Old 10-11-2006, 09:06 AM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Can you imagine that? This thread has posters that are claiming bias in the rules? Does that really happen?

Do you all mean to say that some of you think that the rules favor one brand over another?

Regardless what you all think, I still wish all the competitors a safe and satisfying race.

Thanks
Lou G

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"
Old 10-11-2006, 09:20 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Can you imagine that? This thread has posters that are claiming bias in the rules? Does that really happen?

Do you all mean to say that some of you think that the rules favor one brand over another?

Regardless what you all think, I still wish all the competitors a safe and satisfying race.

Thanks
Lou G

Rules that favor one car du jour over others? Come on, that never happens in racing, surely you jest!
I was hearing that one guy with an 1100cc Civic had 250 pounds of weight, he still won the Runoffs 5x, so they kicked him up to GP so the old British junk could beat someone.
Scotty, great to finally meet you, good luck to you and everyone else. Could you lend Chris Ingle a spare 75 cubic inches and let him run an LS7? Send me a sticker, OK?

Last edited by ghoffman; 10-11-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:59 AM
Scotty B
Racer

Originally Posted by LG Motorsports

Thanks
Lou G
I know aint it crazy Lou!?!?

Some guys scream like someone just slit their bag when they get a tiny little 50Lb weight and are "STILL" lighter than their competitors...

Yet we are FOUR HUNDRED TWENTY POUNDS heavier with a FORTY PERCENT RESTRICTOR with only 60 millimeter more tread on the whole car and look who is crying foul play...? Kinda funny aint it?

Good luck and maybe I'll run into you at Mazda,

sbw
Old 10-11-2006, 12:12 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
The only flaw in your "NASA" point, Mike, is that NASA is not offering nearly what SCCA offers. NASA has a long way to go to get to the level of what we experience in SCCA. Not saying it won't to so, but it's not there now.

Is SCCA expensive? Heck yeah! To run up front it is going to be pricey. But to qualify for the Run Offs you don't have to spend big money; to win it, you do, plus have talent and time to test.

BTW: anyone who takes a green flag in any race series (NASA, SCCA or otherwise) just isn't your average shmuck.
My reference to the average Shmuck isn't towards you or any of the drivers... I'm refering to the viewers at home who are watching the lie being told by SCCA.

NASA doesn't offer as much as SCCA because NASA is still grassroots.

Mike
Old 10-11-2006, 12:54 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it getting deeper again.

Randy
PS racing will always have bias, deal with it and drive your azz off.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:02 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
I am here helping Chris Ingle. Forget Cindi Lux's time, she went off course, but Scotty's is real and I would not be surprised if he has more in his bag. The C5Z is just not in the same league, Chris is fighting for first in the Corvette class.
Ingle faster than Heinricy in Q3 ... the parts and help must be paying off!

How much sand is in Mr. Heinricy's bag?
Old 10-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

JH can sandbag if he chooses. The real issue is how much faster are the Vipers than the Vets? Runoff last year were very close between Viper and C5. Vipers now seem to have the advantage this year. Lance Knupp provided some video from June Sprints and the Vipers pulled out a lead right away and kept it and Lance was hustling the car to keep the Vipers in sight.

I'd like it to be closer but am not ready for a spec car either.

Good luck to all the C5 drivers in KS!!

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA Run Offs

Old 10-11-2006, 04:43 PM
daveydc5
Racer

Without a race at mid-ohio? Prolly not that much.

Originally Posted by gkmccready

How much sand is in Mr. Heinricy's bag?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chalky
JH can sandbag if he chooses. The real issue is how much faster are the Vipers than the Vets? Runoff last year were very close between Viper and C5. Vipers now seem to have the advantage this year. Lance Knupp provided some video from June Sprints and the Vipers pulled out a lead right away and kept it and Lance was hustling the car to keep the Vipers in sight.

I'd like it to be closer but am not ready for a spec car either.

Good luck to all the C5 drivers in KS!!
I think that it boils down to time. The Viper crew have had time to sort it out and get the car more consistant, and there's no boubt (and scca obviously agrees) that the viper has more HP and torque than the Vette, although a bit heavier.

Mike
Old 10-11-2006, 07:31 PM
JRD77VET
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by Scotty B

Yet we are FOUR HUNDRED TWENTY POUNDS heavier with a FORTY PERCENT RESTRICTOR with only 60 millimeter more tread on the whole car and look who is crying foul play...? Kinda funny aint it?

Good luck and maybe I'll run into you at Mazda,

sbw
2006 Viper engine specs ( factory stock)
Engines
ohv V10
Size, liters/cu. in 8.3/505
Horsepower @ rpm 510 @ 5600
Torque (lb-ft) @ rpm 535 @ 4200

2004 Corvette Z06 engine specs ( factory stock)
Engines
ohv V8
Size, liters/cu. in 5.7/346
Horsepower @ rpm 405 @ 6000
Torque (lb-ft) @ rpm 400 @ 4800

So Mr White ( and the other Viper drivers),
You have two more cylinders, engines that are 139 ci larger which generate 105 more hp and 135 more ft lbs of torque. They still come out way ahead even with the "penalties".

With laps times 2.6 seconds faster, perhaps you need more restriction.

Anyway, that is what the SCCA has deemed "fair" so I will just hope for a good, safe race.

Although if a Viper must win I hope it's AJ

Jeff

Quick Reply: SCCA Run Offs