Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

57 corvette racecar

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 03:26 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by "THE 57"
I will forward what pix I have, asap...
IT'S GREAT TO SEE WHAT GIFTED PEOPLE CAN DO AND HAVE DONE TO MAKE MY DAD'S '57 LIVE AGAIN.
My Dad would be so, so HONORED & REWARDED to have had the opportunity that I & my family had 3 weeks ago after 43 years of not...
Theres that lump in the throat & tear again...

I'll up-date asap...

THANK YOU ALL FOT THE INTEREST !!!

Dennis Huffman
"THE 57"...HMS 57...

Sebring 56

Chevrolet factory race car driven by Dick Thompson at the 1956 Governors Trophy. Carrol Shelby came second in a Ferrari.

Pre production Rochester FI raced by Dick Thomson. One of Only two air filter extensions​, the other was on Bill Mitchell's SR2. This is an October 56 engine. Note large generator pulley. This car is undegoing an extensive restoration.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:04 PM
"THE 57"
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geerookie

That's "THE 57"...
1st. picture is when Bob first bought "THE 57". Drove it to the tracks (front tag & full windsheld still installed) and those dam silver wheels. Dad had me paint them black, like yesterday. Dad started and Bob agreed to change a lot of things from the very start of their long relationship. Seemed that the changes helped to make an already good driver into a GREAT driver. Bob understood & realized that he and my Dad CLICKED from day one. Bob is the skilled driver that drove 90% looking through the mirrors. If someone got a little to close, he would just flex "THE 57's" muscles and walk away. Bob felt the strength that was wrapped around him every time he sat in "THE 57" only because he trusted & knew that my Dad, my brother Ken & I had touched EVERY SINGLE nut & bolt on those (4) wheels. here comes that lump in my throat & the wet eyes, cant help it, it's just the way I am...
At any rate, THANKS GEE for posting the pix. I have about (30) new from (3) weeks ago that I will also post...

THANKS GUYS for taking the time to read only a small a part of the growing up that I'm blessed to have & THANKS to the memories.

Dennis Huffman
"THE 57"...HMS 57...
The others are after Dream Car Garage did their magic.
Other then the stock interior, that's what "THE 57" looked like every time my Dad pulled it into the tracks.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:02 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

The car might've been red for a time. Here's Mouat at VIR in 1964:

Old 03-09-2012, 10:27 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Robert R. Mouat, Jr.

All Results of Robert Mouat

Photos of Robert Mouat's cars
Old 03-10-2012, 09:05 AM
"THE 57"
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
The car might've been red for a time. Here's Mouat at VIR in 1964:

I can only wish that someone would have put a 35mm in my hand.
Yes, we did color "THE 57" red to match the '59 Chev. Elcamino that my Dad ordered from the same dealership (AD Anderson, Balto) where "THE 57" came from. AD and my Dad were very close friends.
At any rate, Dad had the roll bar chromed, but after just a few races SCCA told Dad that the other drivers were complaining that the bar was too shiny & was blinding them. So back at the garage Dad had me spray it flat blk. The bar is still today chromed under the power coating, but from what I've noticed from our visit (3) weeks ago. The bar was installed backwards during restoration. I was talking to someone and it seemed that they were trying to pick my brain to see if I was who I claimed to be. So, I asked him if there was a hole in the top of the roll bar and asked if he knew what it was for. He said yes there was a hole, he thought it was to hang it when chromed. Nope, that's not what it's for. It was 1st. the inspection hole for SCCA to measure the thickness and 2nd. if you look, the 3/8" hole is threaded with standard threads. That was to hold the stop light unit that I would have to mount to the bar when Dad towed "THE 57" to the tracks. The light unit, that I still have would only mount one way with the hole in the bar facing to the rear. the hole today is facing forward, that's what make me know the the bar was re-installed backwards. Like I said earlier we towed "THE 57", Dad never liked to used a trailer. I'll tell you one thing, when we went down the road we turned heads...'59 Fire Eng. Red Elcamino towing a "57 Fire Eng. Red Corvette.
Dad even ran the same GoodYear Blue Streaks that were on "THE 57" on the Elcamino, What a picture.
I was on TOP of the world, going down the highway with my Dad towing a race car, Oh if only I could have just one of those trips to do again today. We were running late one Saturday going to Cumberland that was the next closest track from our home track of Marlboro. That's the morning that we found out that Dad could tow "THE 57" at 100 mph. Was I concerned, I was with my Dad, there was NO need to be. (here it comes again, the lump in my throat & the wet eyes) Oh, the memories, if you have touching thoughts & memories of GOOD TIMES, don't let them go !!!.
When I put my entire story together for the world to read and I REALLY hope that they do...REMEMBER the hole in the roll bar, it has a 3rd. and final purpose that will be remembered FOREVER...

Thanks Again for the pictures...

Dennis Huffman
"THE 57"...HMS 57...

Quick Reply: 57 corvette racecar