Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel injector cleaner at track day. Any problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 01:18 AM
Z06-Nomad
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel injector cleaner at track day. Any problem?

Probably not the deepest question ever asked in the racing section but...

I have put a few thousand miles on my Z and was thinking of running a full load of Techron fuel system cleaner through the system.

Can anyone foresee any problem with purposely doing this during an HPDE? My theory is that having those injectors spraying wide open for a full day, should clean the back of those intake valves "real good".

My concern is that having this stuff in there may cause the fuel to burn differently (pre-ignition or detonation) and damage the engine in some way.

Any theories, votes for or against?

Thanks,

MD
Old 12-14-2006, 07:34 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

There really is not a problem. But just driving at WOT will clean everything out, so the Techron may not be needed.

PPL find that after a track weekend their cars run much better.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:01 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Won't Hurt To Try

Techron (and Redline S-1 Fuel System Cleaner) are safe to use at an HPDE. Both will clean out any varnish from inside the fuel injectors as well as any carbon deposits on the valves without using harsh chemical solvents.

The ECM's processing will adjust your timing to prevent pre-ignition while the fuel cleaner itself will add a marginal octane boost to assist in preventing detonation. However, since both cleaners have less caloric output than pure gasoline, you will be slightly down on top end power, but not enough to notice without instrumentation.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:22 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Now that it's cold here in Michigan, I have a question about the long term effectiveness of Techron. If I add it now (since I finally got my tank below 1/8), add my 12 gallons, and then take three months to use that gas, will it hurt the effectiveness of the Techron? Or should I just wait until April?

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:58 PM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by acrace
Now that it's cold here in Michigan, I have a question about the long term effectiveness of Techron. If I add it now (since I finally got my tank below 1/8), add my 12 gallons, and then take three months to use that gas, will it hurt the effectiveness of the Techron? Or should I just wait until April? Thanks.
The Techron would still work as it was consumed over the long winter period; however, it's not a fuel stablizer. I would add a stabilizer to the gas tank to prevent the gums & varnish in the gas from settling out in the fuel tank over the winter months.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Z06-Nomad
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
PPL find that after a track weekend their cars run much better.
True. When I leave the track after an event and accelerate through the gears normally, it does sound and feel stronger. The effect lasts only a short while though, which makes me think the computer adjusts the fuel injection mapping or timing or something when you spend the day with the throttle WFO. By the time I get home (160 miles) the car feels "normal" again...

Those 405 horses do like to run...

MD
Old 12-14-2006, 05:57 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06-Nomad

Those 405 horses do like to run...
YES they do.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel injector cleaner at track day. Any problem?

Quick Reply: Fuel injector cleaner at track day. Any problem?