Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Penske? Koni? Ohlins?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 08:31 AM
RBbugBITme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I think people are scared of adjustable shocks for no reason. Especially singles. You adjust things every day to suit your liking, but for some reason shocks freak people out...
Thank you! Up to independent rebound and compression adjustable dampers, you certainly should not need data loggers and engineers working for you. All it requires is some light reading or a good conversation with someone that knows their stuff already. Were talking about one adjuster for two very different inputs and you just need a basic understanding of which of those inputs you're feeling as a driver to start tuning. Never adjust more than one adjuster at a time and never move that adjuster more than 2 clicks at a time. It'll be real easy to find your way back if you get lost. You SHOULD have a dyno graph that shows what each click is going to change and if you don't then ask for it. If you cant get it then its probably not a good racing shock and you should move onto another manufacturer.

IMO if you're new to racing or you're part of the camp that thinks shock tuning is to complex one of the best things you can do with these cars is keep your stock springs and buy coilover DA shocks. Have the shocks matched to OEM on the soft end of the adjustment range. Your first time out you should feel a difference. If its a good shock you'll find out what reduced hysteresis feels like, what reduced seal friction and smoother shafts feel like, probably reduced rod force, and more stable better performing oil. From there you can introduce helper coil springs over your shock and begin experimenting with the adjusters one or two clicks at a time. I think this process builds a great foundation for suspension tuning but you'd be missing out if you only had one rebound adjuster.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:11 AM
braknl8
Racer

Originally Posted by RBbugBITme
Thank you! Up to independent rebound and compression adjustable dampers, you certainly should not need data loggers and engineers working for you. All it requires is some light reading or a good conversation with someone that knows their stuff already. Were talking about one adjuster for two very different inputs and you just need a basic understanding of which of those inputs you're feeling as a driver to start tuning. Never adjust more than one adjuster at a time and never move that adjuster more than 2 clicks at a time. It'll be real easy to find your way back if you get lost. You SHOULD have a dyno graph that shows what each click is going to change and if you don't then ask for it. If you cant get it then its probably not a good racing shock and you should move onto another manufacturer.

IMO if you're new to racing or you're part of the camp that thinks shock tuning is to complex one of the best things you can do with these cars is keep your stock springs and buy coilover DA shocks. Have the shocks matched to OEM on the soft end of the adjustment range. Your first time out you should feel a difference. If its a good shock you'll find out what reduced hysteresis feels like, what reduced seal friction and smoother shafts feel like, probably reduced rod force, and more stable better performing oil. From there you can introduce helper coil springs over your shock and begin experimenting with the adjusters one or two clicks at a time. I think this process builds a great foundation for suspension tuning but you'd be missing out if you only had one rebound adjuster.
You just helped me decide on my shocks with this post. Thank you very much! (and so will your employer )
Old 01-11-2015, 11:08 AM
RBbugBITme
Racer

I'll pretend you decided on Penske's because they're simply the best shock in the world.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:02 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
This is crazy. When you get to the level being discussed here we also need to be talking about data loggers and shock engineers.

I know one very good shop that won't even sell customers 4-way adjustables unless they know the engineer on the team. They explained to me that in average hands most cars get slower. People are adjusting themselves right out of the ballpark.

The engineers at Bilstein want you to get the spring and sway bar package correct before you do any shocks. Shocks are used for fine tuning. You can't correct handling problems with shocks.

This whole discussion reminds me of my day the Philadlphia PCA region. We were going to get shirts made up with our slogan. "Don't drive better - Spend more money"

Here's my most recent article on shocks.

Richard Newton
Hi Richard. GREAT article on Shocks. Thanks for posting
BTW........Considering ONLY Stock C5 Z06 Corvettes, Do you agree that the final year (04) Shocks are not only the best shock (for track work) BUT are also better (for track work) than most mid level adjustable shocks for STOCK suspension C5 Z06 Corvettes on "other than slicks"?
Old 10-27-2015, 03:09 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
This is crazy. When you get to the level being discussed here we also need to be talking about data loggers and shock engineers.

I know one very good shop that won't even sell customers 4-way adjustables unless they know the engineer on the team. They explained to me that in average hands most cars get slower. People are adjusting themselves right out of the ballpark.

The engineers at Bilstein want you to get the spring and sway bar package correct before you do any shocks. Shocks are used for fine tuning. You can't correct handling problems with shocks.

This whole discussion reminds me of my day the Philadlphia PCA region. We were going to get shirts made up with our slogan. "Don't drive better - Spend more money"

Here's my most recent article on shocks.

Richard Newton
"Don't drive better - Spend more money" - hilarious. I smell a Blipshift submission.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:04 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I can't really talk about "the best shock." I'm not that good.

I just send my shocks out to Bilstein. I give them all of the data and they do the valving. Koni will do the same thing for you.

Keep in mind that Sebring is my home track. That track is like the LIE in New York. Yesterday Mike Hull from Gannassi Racing described Sebring.

"You never, ever have all the wheels on the ground at the same time. So mechanically, you are relying on less than four contact patches to get you around the place. As the car is braking, the wheels are never all four on the ground, as it's turning, they're never all four on the ground, as they're trying to create exit traction, they're never all four on the ground."

Richard Newton
Old 10-29-2015, 10:16 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

When you see guys FLYING in stock E30's and Miata's with nothing more than a tire, alignment and brake pads...........

And we are driving, pretty much a race car in stock form compared to those 2 cars.....

Well, you know.

Quick Reply: Penske? Koni? Ohlins?