Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations: Cordless Drill/Driver/Impact Wrench for Changing Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 05:02 PM
RFC
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations: Cordless Drill/Driver/Impact Wrench for Changing Wheels

First of all, I know nothing about these other than I've seen the used at the track but always forget about asking.

What should I get? I want something powerful enough to break the lugs loose, not just turn the lugs. Do they work like an impact wrench? Also can torque settings be used to tighten the wheels w/o a torque wrench?

I went to Sears but couldn't make sense on what to buy.

Bob
Old 10-17-2001, 05:08 PM
0racewheel
Former Vendor

Default Re: Recommendations: Cordless Drill/Driver/Impact Wrench for Changing Wheels (RFC)

snap-on make one, its pricey (380ish) but it will break them loose, it you spring for it get an extra battery.
Old 10-17-2001, 09:10 PM
Morpheus
Instructor

Default Re: Recommendations: Cordless Drill/Driver/Impact Wrench for Changing Wheels (RFC)

Milwaukee Electric Tool offers an 18 volt cordless impact wrench. At about 300 foot pounds, it will easily break loose and remove lug nuts. You can buy an attachment that will automatically tighten the lug nuts to 100 ft/lb. Check out this link:
http://www.mytoolstore.com/
Old 10-17-2001, 09:30 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Default Re: Recommendations: Cordless Drill/Driver/Impact Wrench for Changing Wheels (Morpheus)

If you can do without the cordless feature and take one that runs on 12VDC then you can get a kit from Summit Racing for only $50. The extra $300 that cordless kits cost can be used to make the car go faster.
Bill
Old 10-17-2001, 11:08 PM
BluFRC
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re: Recommendations: Cordless Drill/Driver/Impact Wrench for Changing Wheels (Morpheus)

I've been looking for an attachment that could get me the correct torque setting on my lugnuts. Can you give me more details? I looked on the site you mentioned, found info on the impact wrench but nothing on the attachment.
Old 10-17-2001, 11:10 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

Default Re: Recommendations: Cordless Drill/Driver/Impact Wrench for Changing Wheels (BluFRC)

I don't think any type "impact" wrench should be used. I use a breaker bar to break the lugs loose, and then use a 9.6V makita (I have lots of batteries) to zip then on and off. I then torque them appropriately after getting the car back on the ground. The Makita will tighten them to around 20ft lb or so, enough to lower the car, but not enought to damage the nuts or studs.

Dave
Old 10-17-2001, 11:50 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Re: Recommendations: Cordless Drill/Driver/Impact Wrench for Changing Wheels (y2khardtop)

Even when I at home in the garage I break them loose with a breaker bar and your still have to do the final tighten with a torque wrench, so Dave's solution is what I would do.
Old 10-18-2001, 01:53 AM
corvette dave
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I always use a 24" breaker bar to loosen the nuts. After the nut is loose it only takes about 5 seconds to remove one nut with the extension and socket. Then use a torque wrench to tighten. I always (ok, usually) leave the car jacked up and have someone hold the brake while I torque the nuts at 40, 60 100 ft. lbs.
I think overall there is not much of a time savings when you figure charging batteries, locating a power source, etc.
I really do not know the answer to this but it would seem to me that if you use an impact gun enough times it could round off the corners of the nuts.
Old 10-18-2001, 10:51 AM
h rocks
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Recommendations: Cordless Drill/Driver/Impact Wrench for Changing Wheels (corvette dave)

Agree, spend the dough on a decent torque wrench, buy a <$100 drill & 19mm 1/2" drive deepwell socket and have at it. I have used Dave's method for years.

corvette dave, if you can "round off" a lugnut with the proper sized socket in an impact wrench, you gots real issues. :crazy:
Old 10-18-2001, 02:01 PM
DaveFromCleveland
Racer

Default Re: Recommendations: Cordless Drill/Driver/Impact Wrench for Changing Wheels (h rocks)

Agree, spend the dough on a decent torque wrench, buy a <$100 drill & 19mm 1/2" drive deepwell socket and have at it. I have used Dave's method for years.
That's what I want to do. Where can I get a drill chuck to 3/8" or 1/2" socket adapter? I haven't been able to find one. (I've tried Sears HW, Home Depot, Lowes)
Old 10-18-2001, 02:47 PM
smosier
Instructor

Default Re: Recommendations: Cordless Drill/Driver/Impact Wrench for Changing Wheels (DaveFromCleveland)

Try here..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42191
Old 10-18-2001, 03:35 PM
JasonL
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Recommendations: Cordless Drill/Driver/Impact Wrench for Changing Wheels (DaveFromCleveland)

I picked up a 10mm drill chuck to 3/8" square drive adapter at Home Depot for around $3. It's made by Stanley. I have seen them at OSH as well.

BTW, I use a good old 4-way lug wrench to break the lug nuts loose and I think it's a piece of cake. And I'm not a buff guy by any means.
Old 10-18-2001, 06:09 PM
Mike Schriber
Drifting

I was just going to mention that!

In the garage, I use a breaker bar (or impact if I have air tools already out) to break them free. If I'm doing it by hand, I just use the socket and extension to work the lugs on or off. When I'm using the impact to put them on, I set it to low. As everyone should, I always finish with the torque wrench.
put lugs back on if I've already got air tools out.

Out at the track, I often use a good old cross type lug wrench. They're very handy!

Mike :flag
Old 10-19-2001, 02:15 AM
corvette dave
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: Recommendations: Cordless Drill/Driver/Impact Wrench for Changing Wheels (h rocks)

H Rocks,
All I was trying to say was that an impact gun by it's very nature hammers on the corners of the nuts. I did not say the nuts would be unusable.
I have been working on cars for 35 years and used them several times, but only if all else failed.
I would not use one to remove lug nuts unless a breaker bar or ratchet/socket would not work.
Old 10-20-2001, 10:45 AM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This one IS NOT cordless, but it is 12 volt impact wrench (I have one) available through Harbor Freight Tools on sale at $19.99. (regular price $39.99).

It comes with case and 4 socket sizes and 12 foot cord. Item number 36175-2RNB. Harbor Freight is at: 1-800-423-2567. This is from catalog #734-J/Fall 2001.

The wrench delivers 200 ft-lbs. of torque, but can not be set at any desirable torque. Yeh, I paid $39.99 for mine!!!!

For those of you that don't absolutely need a cordless unit, this is a great buy. :D
Old 10-21-2001, 11:00 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Recommendations: Cordless Drill/Driver/Impact Wrench for Changing Wheels (Jim 47)

Get a torque wrench and a speed wrench no batteries required always works :D

Get notified of new replies

To Recommendations: Cordless Drill/Driver/Impact Wrench for Changing Wheels

Quick Reply: Recommendations: Cordless Drill/Driver/Impact Wrench for Changing Wheels