Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor Trend hates the Z06!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 03:39 PM
DonaldK
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Motor Trend hates the Z06!!!!!!!!

Hard to believe that in the latest issue of MT, their handling test comparing 10 "sports cars", the Z06 came in 9th below the Porsche GT3, Cayman S, Lotus Exige S, Mitsubishi EVO, Mini Cooper, BMW 3, Honda S2000 and Mazda Speed3. the only car it beat in their ratings was the Honda Civic Si!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do ya think Max Angelelli can't drive? He has terrific credentials but sure does not like the Vette.

Don K
Old 05-07-2007, 05:15 PM
sentry65
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sometimes the vette just isn't the best at everything as much as we all would think it is

trust me though, the Z06 would put up some of the fastest lap times and 1/4 mile times
the article was about handling though - and every possible facet of handling.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:23 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

How much was price a factor?
Old 05-07-2007, 05:28 PM
sentry65
Advanced

price wasn't a factor, just the handling of the OEM cars
Old 05-07-2007, 06:36 PM
Jim_Harrison
Racer

I'll bet the Vette was on runflats and most of the others on some sort of sticky street tire. Tires make a HUGE difference.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:45 PM
sentry65
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jim_Harrison
I'll bet the Vette was on runflats and most of the others on some sort of sticky street tire. Tires make a HUGE difference.

the cars were all on OEM tires - bone stock cars, nothing was changed. Even tire pressure was OEM specs

S2000
Exige
Cayman
GT3
Civic SI
335i
EVO
Mazdaspeed 3
Mini Cooper
Z06

The Exige and GT3 had the stickiest tires there
the Z06 was on stock run flats, but it still came in 9th overall in the handling dept in terms of steering feel, precision, smoothness, driving on rough pavement, lateral G skidpad, chassis quality, etc etc

Last edited by sentry65; 05-07-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:47 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was the criteria? Was it objective or subjective? I believe that some of these cars on the list would handle better, but not all. The Corvette puts up faster lap times than some of them because of it's power and handling.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:50 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Motor trend is a rag. Car or truck of the year is a merry go round to keep everyone happy. I give them no credence.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:52 PM
sentry65
Advanced

the article was based on all aspects of handling - steering precision, chassis, quick turns, big turns, smooth and rough pavement, smooth steering, user feedback, overall grip at different slip angles, etc

it was mostly all based on data. They had measurements for every possible thing. I think a couple out of 10 categorizes were mostly subjective, but backed up by some amount of data too. Some tests were more important than others

The pro driver and staff said the Z06 felt the scariest to drive at the limit because of the stiff suspension, vague steering and chassis feedback, heavy/soft front, said the rear springs were too stiff which created oversteer on corner exits. Great amounts of grip from the tires, but because the Z06 has so much power on tap all that grip is easy to upset and break into sudden oversteer.

It posted the 2nd fastest lap time though, losing only to the GT3 which was something like 4 or 5 seconds faster around the track than the Z06 which was a pretty wide gap

First place overall was the GT3
2nd was the Cayman
3rd place overall was the exige
4th was the EVO
9th place was the Z06
10th was the Civic Si

The Z06 of course would out handle a BMW 335, Mazdaspeed 3, or Mini Cooper, etc on the track, but the testing wasn't just track performance. It was every possible handling test in the real world except driving in the wet, dirt, or drifting

has anyone else noticed the Z06 hype has really died out in magazines? Seems like the magazines are making the Z06 out to be slower now with slower times on just about everything. This seems like it's happened with a lot of cars in magazines. It's like the honeymoon effect has worn off. Seems like all you hear about these days in magazines are shelby cobra whatever mustangs, and STI's/EVO's

Last edited by sentry65; 05-07-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:18 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I love it...

Guess what? Not everyone who reviews it is going to LOVE the new Vette!

Mike
Old 05-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Hans Delbruck
Pro

"Hate" the Z06?? ... don't think so.

That was a really good, technical article and one I will be keeping! But I don't think they emphasized how much the tires affected the results. The GT3 and Exige S come stock with r-compounds. Stiffer sidewalls and softer compounds are really going to affect both the feel (turn-in, response) and the final grip numbers. The C6Z would most likely have had the fastest lap if it had comparable tires.....

Maybe I should post my own review
Old 05-07-2007, 08:24 PM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Motor trend is a rag. Car or truck of the year is a merry go round to keep everyone happy. I give them no credence.
Yup, very biased depending whom the driver is at the time! Besides most of those cars are ricer catagory!

Ed
Old 05-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Hans Delbruck
Pro

Originally Posted by AMERICANMUSL
Besides most of those cars are ricer catagory!

Ed

Don't knock it til you try it!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Black C5 Z06
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck

That was a really good, technical article and one I will be keeping! But I don't think they emphasized how much the tires affected the results. The GT3 and Exige S come stock with r-compounds. Stiffer sidewalls and softer compounds are really going to affect both the feel (turn-in, response) and the final grip numbers. The C6Z would most likely have had the fastest lap if it had comparable tires.....

Beautiful GT3 you have!!!!!
Is that blule car a skyline, maybe?

Yeah, I thought it was bull that the GT3 had freaking Michelin Pilot Sport Cups and the Z06 had its crappy tires. O well, let them say what they want, I still love my C5Z better than any car they had (except that GT3, of course )
Old 05-07-2007, 08:50 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were car and driver, the ZO6 would have been dead last. Would have read something like this:

The top 9 cars are all imports, therefor God's gift to the auto world. They are all so great, that it is hard to determine an absolute winner. Of course the Japanese take a slight edge over the Germans, but they are all so very wonderful. We are truly blessed to have been given the opportunity to pilot such amazing vehicles.

The 10th place car was a Chevrolet something-or-other, so it is a domestic. This means, it is a total pile of steaming garbage, and not worth the price of a happy meal.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:57 PM
az55
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think it's important enough to be upset about Motor Trendy and their opinions. The article was indeed informative,(if read calmly and thoroughly), but the tire disparity was blatantly obvious.

Any of us on this forum could invest a few thousand in handling upgrades to be more than "competitive" with the Porsche and still be well below the cost of the GT3!

I admire and respect Porsche for raising the bar constantly and offering a unique driving experience. But for an adrenaline pumping, heart pounding rush, I'm hooked on the sound and the gut wrenching torque of the Corvette!

Cheers,
CV
Old 05-07-2007, 08:58 PM
sentry65
Advanced

Originally Posted by ZBRA
If it were car and driver, the ZO6 would have been dead last. Would have read something like this:

The top 9 cars are all imports, therefor God's gift to the auto world. They are all so great, that it is hard to determine an absolute winner. Of course the Japanese take a slight edge over the Germans, but they are all so very wonderful. We are truly blessed to have been given the opportunity to pilot such amazing vehicles.

The 10th place car was a Chevrolet something-or-other, so it is a domestic. This means, it is a total pile of steaming garbage, and not worth the price of a happy meal.

I have no idea what you're talking about. For the last 2 years the Z06 has been on the cover of every 3rd or 4th issue of every major magazine getting nothing but praise for the most part with great benchmarks against ferraris, vipers, Ford GT's, GT500, noble M400, various turbo imports, different porsches, etc etc. If the Z06 wasn't enough, there were lots of articles where the C6 was brought in as a basis of comparison

I love reading about the Z06, but it started getting funny that it was on the cover of every 3rd or 4th magazine I grabbed out of my mailbox....and it was like that for months - actually years

Last edited by sentry65; 05-07-2007 at 09:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Motor Trend hates the Z06!!!!!!!!

Old 05-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Hans Delbruck
Pro

Originally Posted by Black C5 Z06
Is that blule car a skyline, maybe?
That is my daily traffic-fighter, a 2005 Evo 8... stock except the wheels. Wonderful car!!

I loved my C5Z too. Best track-car-bang-for-the-buck there is. Just needs a good racing seat, pads and fluids and you're good to go!
Old 05-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Black C5 Z06
Drifting

That is my daily traffic-fighter, a 2005 Evo 8... stock except the wheels. Wonderful car!!

I loved my C5Z too. Best track-car-bang-for-the-buck there is. Just needs a good racing seat, pads and fluids and you're good to go!
Crap, I need to go back to car school.
I see the Evoness now, lol.
Yeah, and the C5Z is actually a comfortable DD that can go RR on the weekend.
I love my little acronyms
Old 05-07-2007, 09:11 PM
sentry65
Advanced

I haven't driven an EVO, but have driven a STI and damn, those are pretty fun to drive. A totally different experience than a vette. You feel like you're getting shot out of a cannon every time you mash the gas -with tons of grip to spare. It's not really the total accelleration, but mainly how it accellerates due to how the turbo kicks in all at once

not as good looking or good sounding as a vette, but AWD and a turbo make driving around in traffic a blast in a totally different way than a vette. Those cars might be ugly as hell, but they're bred from rally cars and there's something to be said for that after you drive one

Quick Reply: Motor Trend hates the Z06!!!!!!!!