Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C4 Spindle Duct Pictures

Old 05-27-2007, 03:44 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C4 Spindle Duct Pictures

These are the spindle ducts I got from ZR1 MK. I ran them once at Thunderhill(which is medium hard on brakes) and was able to get 2 1/2 hours of track time(KFP Purple pads) before the pads wore out. This was considerably better than the 1 1/2 hours I was able to get randomly directing the air duct hose in the direction of the rotor previosly. These photos show the latest change I was forced to make, which was to reduce the hose diameter to 2"(in the area of interference) so that I could route it between the A Arm and tie rods and out of the way of the tire. I know it is a step in the wrong direction, but there was no way I could use a 3" diameter hose without interfering with the wheel while turning more than half lock.

Last edited by Sidney004; 05-27-2007 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-27-2007, 09:56 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I was never able to make hoses last by running them down low through the tie rods and sway bar. Too many moving parts. The more you lower the car the worse it gets. Here's the best photos I have right now of my setup:

To do it this way you would need to fabricate another hose adapter going into the engine compartment area. Mine is also fan pressurized, the fans are the white things you see in front behind the front bumper. There are more twists and turns ( so probably more restriction) with my setup, but the hoses last forever. With the fans it works great. I run a 315/35/17 with no rubbing issues at all. I also found that pulling the hose tight while someone else wraps the hose with tape before installing it keeps the spring inside the hose from coming out of place, which if it does causes the hose to collapse. It also protects it from being ruptured from contact with the suspension parts. I used 2 1/2" hose the whole way.

BTW why is there a gap between the top of your sway bar bushing and the bottom of the frame? I know there are benefits to moving the bar attachment point down an inch or so but is there a piece of steel in or something in there to keep it from moving? It's hard to tell from the photo...

Last edited by vetracer; 05-27-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:20 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,676 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by vetracer
IBTW why is there a gap between the top of your sway bar bushing and the bottom of the frame? I know there are benefits to moving the bar attachment point down an inch or so but is there a piece of steel in or something in there to keep it from moving? It's hard to tell from the photo...
That's the stock setup. There's a piece of metal across the top of the bushing to keep it from moving/ My '96 is the same way
Old 05-27-2007, 10:29 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
That's the stock setup. There's a piece of metal across the top of the bushing to keep it from moving/ My '96 is the same way
I didn't know that. Mine is an '85 and when I was adding suspension parts I bought a kit that consisted of a solid aluminum block 1" thick with bolts that were 1" longer than stock that mounted between the bushing and the frame.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:24 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vetracer
I was never able to make hoses last by running them down low through the tie rods and sway bar. Too many moving parts. The more you lower the car the worse it gets.
I've got the same placement on mine and am trying something (no results yet though): I went to Home Depot and bought some 3" dia aluminum straight couplers (thin sheet metal basically). I cut it along the seem so I could make it smaller dia and wrapped it around the 2" Silicone hose in the areas of the moving parts. I'm hoping that it will wear better. So far I have seen some crush from suspension travel but it does not seem to be cracked.

I have now finished one a/x and one track day so far so I plan on tearing it down a bit to see how it's standing up. If it looks good I'll try to post some pics.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidney004
These are the spindle ducts I got from ZR1 MK. These photos show the
latest change I was forced to make, which was to reduce the hose
diameter to 2". I know it is a step in the wrong direction, but there was
no way I could use a 3" diameter hose without interfering with the
wheel while turning more than half lock.
Thanks for posting.

It sounds as though the upgrade has been very worthwhile, despite
the hose dia. compromise.

Perhaps ZR1 MK would consider offering the ducts ready-made with
provisions for smaller hose? Though these may not be optimal for flow
or routing, they'd be an improvement over stock and appeal to a segment
of the market.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:00 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

It is an absolutely worthwhile change for those tracking a C4. Despite the less than optimal hose diameter, it is a measurable improvement over a randomly directed air duct hose. C4's with the HD J55 setup are especially compromised against track use and more efficient cooling is a massive step in the right direction. These ducts will work for Wilwood's as well. I will contact ZR1 MK.
Sidney
Old 05-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

If it makes a difference to the duct configuration, keep in mind several C4 folks are
like me and have upgraded to the C5 front caliper.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 367 Likes on 303 Posts

Where my 3" hose comes across the the sway bar, I formed the hose into an oval. The tire would rub it there. It would seem to me there would be no loss of flow going from round, to oval, back to round. I don't have the spindle ducts though. My hose ends are melting, I need to attach some metal to them or use the spindle ducts.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:22 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
If it makes a difference to the duct configuration, keep in mind several C4 folks are
like me and have upgraded to the C5 front caliper.

It does and remember there is a difference between the early C4 adapter and the later C4 adapter for the C5 upgrade. The guys with later C4s w/ the C5 caliper adapter are the ones that really need this since there is even less room to get a hose directed into the center of the rotor.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:21 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Has anyone used the running lights in the front bumper instead of the front air dam to bring in the air? I've ripped my ducts off in the past with off-track excursions and was trying to find a new place. Am I going to create too much drag by using the larger and higher light area?
Old 05-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Has anyone used the running lights in the front bumper instead of the front air dam to bring in the air?
Nuvolari's car features inlets in place of the running lights.

I do not recall with certainty that these ducts go to the rotors but
there are several pictures and it may be possible to see from these
how the configuration is laid out.

Here is a link to more photos.

The car was posted for sale and may still be available: F/S Corvette Lightweight GT Racecar

Old 05-30-2007, 05:52 PM
fmrfast
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know wo makes the front splitter?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:44 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Sidney, glad to here your brakes are working better and thanks for the positive feedback.
I have made these for a variety of setups including J55, C5, C5 with 1.25" coleman rotors, Wilwood set-up with 1.375" rotors. Some were bolt-on, welded, with abs and without abs.
I route the 3 inch duct as noted in second pic using a 25 gauge metal guard. Duct is ovaled a bit as mentioned by another member. It works fine for me, but there is always more than one way to accomplish goals.
One member uses the front fog lights as the inlet (a race car) and one member uses the side lights.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:32 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fmrfast
Does anyone know wo makes the front splitter?
I net-searched the car's sponsor, Carbonio when questions about
the aero bits came up in the past. They work in carbon fiber and
appear to have two divisions: one offers a line of CF intake systems
for imports, the other deals in custom CF and composite components.

I don't know what his relationship is with Carbonio but in Nuvolari's
For Sale thread, he seems to be quite clear in discouraging approaches
for Corvette parts.
nor am I interested in selling any part off of the car. Furthermore,
I am not a Corvette part source so please do not ask if I have anything.
Seems a pity.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:20 AM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Whatever happened to this car? I saw it on eBay last year.

Sorry to change the subject....

Originally Posted by Slalom4me
Nuvolari's car features inlets in place of the running lights.

I do not recall with certainty that these ducts go to the rotors but
there are several pictures and it may be possible to see from these
how the configuration is laid out.

Here is a link to more photos.

The car was posted for sale and may still be available: F/S Corvette Lightweight GT Racecar

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Spindle Duct Pictures

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 Spindle Duct Pictures