Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My oil cooler AN fittings seem to get dirty... oil slightly weeping? Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 06:39 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default My oil cooler AN fittings seem to get dirty... oil slightly weeping? Normal?

I have a Dewitts radiator w/ left side integrated oil cooler, pre-made Dewitts AN-10 lines w/ AN fittings and an LPE adaptor block.

After a few thousand miles of driving they get grimey... just a tad. Nothing leaks, no mess anywhere, just seem to collect dirt.

I tightened all fitings hand tight + 1/4 turn w/ a wrench per everything I've read on here and from the guys at MSI in california.

Is this just inherent to an oil cooler line?

Is it just normal dirt in the engine bay?
Old 05-27-2007, 08:18 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

mine were funny. I was using oil after my installation, but I couldn't ever see any oil drips on my driveway, or mixed in with the coolant, or burning off any more than usual.

I decided to get under the car and watch it while revving the engine high, to get higher oil pressure, and then, there it was. Only under high oil pressure, there was oil leaking from the fittings onto the headers, and then burning off into smoke. I had to take the header out and completely undo the installation and inspect everything, and put it all back together.

So far everything seems to be right now, but this EOC was definitely one of the biggest PITA of any performance install I've ever done.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:00 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

I think it's just normal. When you assemble the lines together you (should) use a small amount of oil to lube the threads. That film will stay around a very long time, and if all you're seeing is dust grime, I say you're fine. Mine do the same thing.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-28-2007, 02:40 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Thanks... it's just dust/grime... that's it. The oil cooler on my buddys TT 3000GT had the same "stuff" on his AN fittings.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:24 PM
GreyGT-C
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i work on helicopters with a ****LOAD of -an fittings on them... they all collect dust and grime. It's normal.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:38 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Thanks... I looked at the fittings and the adapter block last weekend w/ the car in the air... they're actually very very clean.

Get notified of new replies

To My oil cooler AN fittings seem to get dirty... oil slightly weeping? Normal?

Quick Reply: My oil cooler AN fittings seem to get dirty... oil slightly weeping? Normal?