Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocrossed for the 1st time!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 07:56 AM
XLR8BYU
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Autocrossed for the 1st time!

Wow, I went to a local Porsche Cub Autocross event for the 1st time and let's just say, I'm HOOKED!!!!!
The Porsche guys were also very nice and welcoming, and one of there goes rode with me the first 3 times to help me get a feel for the course and what I was doing. It worked I went from 85 seconds on my first run to 68 seconds on my final solo run.
It was a very big course and I hit 55 mph in 3 different places. It was also pretty fun to ride through the pit area in a H/C vette amongst all the quiet Porshe's. The vette definitely got a lot of attention
I can't wait for the next event
Old 05-29-2007, 09:18 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the addiction....

Old 05-29-2007, 09:38 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Auto-x is addictive....
Old 05-29-2007, 10:31 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Welcome to the insanity! I've been doing this since '00 ('02 in the Vette), and just this past year I've finally gotten to the point I think I can start modding the car.

Read through the sticky at the top; it's got tons of great advice that's accumulated through the past.

And, just to set the hook a bit more firmly, here's a couple of autox vids I've made in the last couple of months:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QowaUEaL_A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-hB_jwFbUM

Enjoy, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-29-2007, 10:41 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Were you in the Ripken Stadium lot at Aberdeen?
We had the ER NCCC all-corvette autox there the 19th ... great AutoX venue ...

For more speed to feed your addiction ... check out the NVCC HPDE day at Summit end of July ...
Old 05-29-2007, 12:28 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

I would highly recommend that you stop autoxing.

The activity is only for big dufus losers.

Come on-----no seat time----

Plenty of obnoxious people----

A lot of no talent hacks-------

No naked women on site-----

(although you do get a chance to get away from the wife for a day)

ok....I take it back, it's not that bad. But come on these knucleheads that run these "parking lot fiascos" still welcome idiots like me to their events, are they nuts ?
Old 05-29-2007, 12:44 PM
B-ras
Melting Slicks

^^^Yeah Lehman, why don't you and your FTD just stay home for the next event.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:36 PM
XLR8BYU
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
Were you in the Ripken Stadium lot at Aberdeen?
We had the ER NCCC all-corvette autox there the 19th ... great AutoX venue ...

For more speed to feed your addiction ... check out the NVCC HPDE day at Summit end of July ...
Yeah, I was supposed to make the all- corvette event but somethings came up. Great venue and a big course. I'm looking forward to checking out th HPDE event @ Summit
Old 05-29-2007, 03:45 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by abraswell
^^^Yeah Lehman, why don't you and your FTD just stay home for the next event.
In fact I'm going to try ASP at Devens to see if I can push namhel further down the list and out of the trophies...lol.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:02 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Not a bad idea

1st 2 tires from Hoosier

2nd 1 tire from Hoosier

My f'ed up car might be a tad quicker.......

Actually Ted....I was debating with myself, if I should run SM2 at the Huntsville tour. I probably won't, and run ASP where I should. While it would be nice for "TEAM ITCHY *****" to have a good shot at another 2 tires, I might not resist the urge to dice with McGeorge. I think I am a bit faster with the different tire (read 285 on rear). Might not be fast enough, because McGeorge whipped my *** 6 ways to Sunday and backwards in Dixie, even if I was clean.

I could run with Hector in ASP------or let him run ASP, and me SM2. If I did win SM2 and there was no competition, then it would be a hollow victory. But a hollow victory with 2 FREE TIRES. I could give Hector tips or vice versa, as I would be datalogging runs with my DL1.

However running against McGeorge win or lose would be fun.

What to do ?
What to do do do ?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:39 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
Not a bad idea

1st 2 tires from Hoosier

2nd 1 tire from Hoosier

My f'ed up car might be a tad quicker.......

Actually Ted....I was debating with myself, if I should run SM2 at the Huntsville tour. I probably won't, and run ASP where I should. While it would be nice for "TEAM ITCHY *****" to have a good shot at another 2 tires, I might not resist the urge to dice with McGeorge. I think I am a bit faster with the different tire (read 285 on rear). Might not be fast enough, because McGeorge whipped my *** 6 ways to Sunday and backwards in Dixie, even if I was clean.

I could run with Hector in ASP------or let him run ASP, and me SM2. If I did win SM2 and there was no competition, then it would be a hollow victory. But a hollow victory with 2 FREE TIRES. I could give Hector tips or vice versa, as I would be datalogging runs with my DL1.

However running against McGeorge win or lose would be fun.

What to do ?
What to do do do ?
You saw through me. Without your car, McGeorge or Junior's there I have a shot at some tires. Running against Pat and Brian in SS pushes me out of the tires and at $1200 per set it's getting expensive to keep this car going.

I always wanted to run the 285s from my coupe on the Z06 to see what happens with the gearing but the whole alignment would have to be readjusted to compensate for the tiny tires. Sure would be quick though.

Are those rims of yours still thinking about a new home yet?
Old 05-29-2007, 07:31 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Yeah,

I still have them. Hell I used to have 4 titanium bolted 17". Now just two, as I sold 2 to Mark Presley like 1 year ago.

BTW...Ted.....I don't think you would have to change your alignment, with the smaller rear tire. I didn't on mine. Feels like it works good. And surprisingly, no oversteer with the 285 all around.

285 on the rear would give your 2nd gear more pop. Lower the rear, and let the car react faster. Jury is still out on the effects of 1st gear launch. Actually if I was back in SS----I would try and run the shortest front sidewall possible----maybe 245/40/17 on the Z06 front, that with the 285 rear, would lower the car like 1/2"

Get notified of new replies

To Autocrossed for the 1st time!

Quick Reply: Autocrossed for the 1st time!