Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 or M12 for Road Racing and FRC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 11:48 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default M6 or M12 for Road Racing and FRC?

Well.. I've been bitten by the Road Racing bug!

(I can still see the mark!)

I haven't decided whether or not it will be heads, cam or maybe even a stroker motor.

I want to upgrade my transmission as well and I plan on keeping the stock 342's.

I'm going to have an RPM transmission installed. Would I be better off with the M6 or a close ratio M12? I'm not opposed to putting in GForce 5th and 6th as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-31-2007, 12:14 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I am no expert but I would keep the M6 and spend all your other money on seat time , brake pads, fluid and the rotors you will go through. Head, cam stuff is great but, get really good at driving and have good brakes. The car is pretty fast as it is. Did I mention the seat time
Just my .02
Tim
Old 05-31-2007, 12:38 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Yeap. I'm definately going to be getting seat time.

I have to replace my trans anyway and it won't cost me anymore to go with the M12 so I was wondering which one I would be better off with?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2007, 12:44 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by TmillerC5
I am no expert but I would keep the M6 and spend all your other money on seat time , brake pads, fluid and the rotors you will go through. Head, cam stuff is great but, get really good at driving and have good brakes. The car is pretty fast as it is. Did I mention the seat time
Just my .02
Tim
With Tim.

Dont do any if any at all HP up grades for a long time. Seat time and more seat time is the best OPTION.

When you do any upgrades start with the contact patches. Brake Pads, Rotors, brake fluid, tires, seat & harness system.

OK maybe an oil cooler and transmission cooler too.

Good Luck

Tom
Old 05-31-2007, 12:58 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Hi Tom,

I have to replace my transmission anyway.

And assuming that I later have some nice HP #'s, which would I be better off with? M6 or M12?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2007, 01:00 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Go with the standard tranny!!! Don't put the Z06 tranny in. We have built a few standard boxes with the trick 5th and 6th gear!!!

Randy
Old 05-31-2007, 01:16 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Thanks Randy!

That's the answer I was looking for!
Old 05-31-2007, 01:26 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

The "standard" 6-speed has closer gear ratios in all but 5th and 6th, and unless you anticipate changing to a lower rear gear, you will seldom use 5th anyway (unless you're cruising)

Randy, tell us more about changing the 5th & 6th in MN6's. I sort of though you had to swap out everything, but I'm not a gear man.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:29 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

A number of TCC racers run the M6 trans and 3.73 gears, maybe the tracks in the midwest are set up that way. At the various tracks I have been at where they were running, it sounded like they were in the middle of the power band coming out of the corners.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:33 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
The "standard" 6-speed has closer gear ratios in all but 5th and 6th, and unless you anticipate changing to a lower rear gear, you will seldom use 5th anyway (unless you're cruising)

Randy, tell us more about changing the 5th & 6th in MN6's. I sort of though you had to swap out everything, but I'm not a gear man.
G-force makes significantly closer to 4th , 5th and 6th gear ratios...last I checked they were approx $900.00 in pieces for the upgrade......

I am with all above.....seat time, seat time. I switch transmissions depending on the track, but have never switched final drive ratios and i have been happy.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:33 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

4th is one-to-one in all the OEM trans....do they change it????

I loved the GM racing trans. I could use 2nd-5th at a track like Rd Atlanta, where you may only use 3-4 in a street trans. Too bad they were so expensive, and too bad they are all gone...

Since I'm running a stock LS1, I run out of steam low in the rev range, but I still like the ability to use 2nd at low speed corners (with the MN6) vs having a tight 5th gear.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:36 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MyFirstCorvette
Hi Tom,

I have to replace my transmission anyway.

And assuming that I later have some nice HP #'s, which would I be better off with? M6 or M12?

Thanks!
M6. with a custom .85 5th gear and .75 6th gear
Old 05-31-2007, 03:23 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,082 Likes on 655 Posts

Dave,
I put a M12 in my coupe (because it was what I had in stock) with 3.42's and I regret it. Not so much at Watkins Glen, but at Pocono there are times where I would have to drop to second in traffic at devils elbow or when running the double infield, the turn going into the straight away, and I would run out of gear in a split second. It almost felt like I was neutral reving it.

As far as extra power, the other are right as far as seat time goes, but if your going to run Pocono a lot then the extra power is needed. The reason is because Pocono's straight aways are so long that if you get caught up in traffic, that cant drive... they will slow you down in the twisties, then give you the pass on the straights, but not let up. So if you cant out power them, your stuck slowing down on the in field. That gets old fast.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:01 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
As far as extra power, the other are right as far as seat time goes, but if your going to run Pocono a lot then the extra power is needed. The reason is because Pocono's straight aways are so long that if you get caught up in traffic, that cant drive... they will slow you down in the twisties, then give you the pass on the straights, but not let up. So if you cant out power them, your stuck slowing down on the in field. That gets old fast.
Your EXACTLY correct!

That's what happened at Pocono and it was pissing me off! I was faster than a few cars in the twisties but I couldn't pass them in the straightaways.. I'd like to remedy that situation!

I think I'm going to sign up for Lime Rock on June 21st, will you be there?

(you didn't look to happy in the morning at Pocono...)
Old 05-31-2007, 04:16 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Dave, with faster longer courses in your area. I would stay with the MN6.

Glad you had fun the other day
Old 05-31-2007, 05:03 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put a Stage V RPM MN6 in my son's FRC....on the shorter tighter tracks I do like the MN6 better.

Hopefully by this weekend it will be ready to test drive.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:07 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy brakes first you can't ever have enough or get in trouble with too much. They are also reliable!

Get notified of new replies

To M6 or M12 for Road Racing and FRC?

Old 05-31-2007, 08:23 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Buy brakes first you can't ever have enough or get in trouble with too much. They are also reliable!
That's on the list also!

Whats the best bang for the buck?
Old 05-31-2007, 09:22 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

That is a Mike secret, here at our shop. Everytime he has caught me trying to learn something that he is doing, I get a black and blue mark on my arm. So things haven't changed around here since I was about 10 years old. Tommorow is friday, I think he is riding his Rocket into work. Maybe if I bring ice cream he may tell me.

Randy
Old 05-31-2007, 10:11 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by MyFirstCorvette
That's on the list also!

Whats the best bang for the buck?
I love the Wilwoods setup from LG for the fronts. I run the factory on the back.

Wilwood pads all the way around. The fronts are so thick I think you can run them for years. Maybe I don't brake deeeeeeeeep enough

I did do the DRM master cylinder and what a difference it makes.
BRAKES are ROCK solid

Tim

Quick Reply: M6 or M12 for Road Racing and FRC?