Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet and Airbag...... what would happen?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 03:59 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Helmet and Airbag...... what would happen?

I am wondering what would happen if you crash during HPDE and the airbags go off?????

i am thinking my neck will snap cuzz of the helmet

I have no harness, just seatbelts....
Old 06-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Actually... it has been recommended that you use an open face helmet in an airbag car for this reason.

I have a G-force hybrid helmet.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:42 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MUKAKsC5
I am wondering what would happen if you crash during HPDE and the airbags go off?????

Except in the case of very small adults, if you're wearing your seatbelt you should not come into contact with your airbag.

At full inflation, the bag will extend from your wheel around 8-10 inches. How close are you with your helmet on when your belt is buckled?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:48 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Except in the case of very small adults, if you're wearing your seatbelt you should not come into contact with your airbag.

At full inflation, the bag will extend from your wheel around 8-10 inches. How close are you with your helmet on when your belt is buckled?
i am 6" 195lb

My seat is all the way back

Old 06-04-2007, 04:49 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Actually... it has been recommended that you use an open face helmet in an airbag car for this reason.
That's what our division of the SCCA recommends.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:50 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZBRA
That's what our division of the SCCA recommends.
hmmm, why open face? weight less?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:54 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B

I have a G-force hybrid helmet.
The SCCA recended that "recomondation" as it was based on a formula car with air bags.

Just dont hit anything, or if your aiming at something Spin that car around before hitting anything.
Old 06-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I don't see the downside of the full face helmet and an airbag.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:00 PM
MUKAK
Race Director

Originally Posted by 03Ragtop
whip lash

i dont wanna snap my neck
Old 06-04-2007, 06:29 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine deployed when I ran head-on into a wall last year while wearing a full-face helmet. No issues whatsoever, though I was wearing a very good harness at the time. Even using the stock belts I would choose a full-face helmet.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

whip lash

i dont wanna snap my neck
I'd think the airbag would just catch your head and helmet and stop it from smacking the steering wheel. This to me would be a good thing. Especially if you don't have a HANS.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Jess03Z06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure i would advise trying to spin the car around since side impacts are definitely not good if you get that spin wrong. Open vs. closed helmet, airbag or no, i'd rather hit with the front of the car. If you're worried about it, which isn't a bad thing to worry about, get a HANS or similar system. Even one of the neck pads from SIMPSON that goes between the helmet and shoulders is better than nothing.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Even with a full race harness the belts will stretch at least 8 inches in a frontal impact at speed. They do not know how full face helmets would react when an air bag hits it on the chin section since nobody has tested them as tests have been done on uncovered faces. Will it twist backwards thus adding further injury, will it do nothing (preferred), or what?

Bill
Old 06-06-2007, 11:07 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Even with a full race harness the belts will stretch at least 8 inches in a frontal impact at speed. They do not know how full face helmets would react when an air bag hits it on the chin section since nobody has tested them as tests have been done on uncovered faces. Will it twist backwards thus adding further injury, will it do nothing (preferred), or what?

Bill
Wouldn't it hit your chin if it didn't hit the helmet? Either way your head goes backwards. But then if you are already traveling forward, the g-forces of the forward motion would hopefully be cancelled out by the push from the airbag. With or without a helmet.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:58 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just wanted to make a point about the 2005 model

be sure to use your KEY and turn off the PASSENGER AIR BAG since we don't have the weight sensing system. If you do go off road, you don't want it deploying - just add's more cost.

I saw a porsche with his deployed and it busted the front windshield too.

JK
Old 06-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Ragtop
in a formula car, the bag would push your helmet up and break your jaw. that's where the warning came from. Like AU N EGL said, the SCCA recended it after they realized it didn't really apply to production cars because the seat angles are so different.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:08 AM
Coc5
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

A lot of people, including some so called experts, wrongly have an understanding of how airbags perform.
If you are close to the wheel, the bag will hit you.
In an incident the bag inflates fully before your body even begins to move forward. The vehicle will actually crush about 18" in a collision before the occupants begin to move forward. If you are close to the bag, it will hit you as it deploys.
That is why small drivers get injured or killed by the bag because of the need to get close to the wheel to operate the vehicle. The bag will pop them.

If you are not close to the wheel, the bag inflates and then you go into it.
Like in this video.
http://www.gm.com/company/gmability/...how_work4.html

Now almost every driver bag are dual stage inflators. They have two types of inflation rates which has helped the smaller drivers to survive.
http://www.autoliv.com/alv/connect/H...+We+Do/Airbags

Researchers have determined that the risk zone for driver airbags is the first 2 to 3 inches of inflation. So, placing yourself 10 inches from your driver airbag gives you a clear margin of safety. Measure this distance from the center of the steering wheel to your breastbone. If you currently sit less than 10 inches away, you can adjust your driving position in the following ways:

Move your seat to the rear as far as possible while still reaching the pedals comfortably.
Slightly recline the back of your seat. Although car designs vary, most drivers can achieve the 10-inch distance even with the driver seat all the way forward by slightly reclining the back of the seat. If reclining the seat makes it hard to see the road, you can raise yourself up by using your car's seat-raising system (not all cars have this!) or a firm, non-slippery cushion to achieve the same effect.
Point the airbag toward your chest, instead of your head and neck, by tilting your steering wheel downward (this only works if your steering wheel is adjustable).

Last edited by Coc5; 06-07-2007 at 01:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Helmet and Airbag...... what would happen?

Quick Reply: Helmet and Airbag...... what would happen?