Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotors for 87

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 10:15 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Rotors for 87

It's time for a new set of front rotors for my 87 coupe. Have a couple of track days coming up and I'm going to install my Hawk HP+ pads for them.

The existing rotors are Brembo stock replacement rotors I used last year and the last set of HP+ pads put a deep groove into one. AFter last season, I turned them and installed stock pads and they work OK, but I want to go in with new rotors and pads.

Anyone have any experience or comments about these ATE front rotors from the Tire Rack?? They list at $37 each.
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...tor&group=null

These rotors and the HP+ pads would only be used for track days and autocross I'll swap them out for stock rotors and HPS pads for street use after the season is over.

Right now, a C5 conversion package is not in the cards as I am using stock 16" wheels and new Hoosiers for autocross events so I want to use these tires up before considering going to larger wheels for A/X.
For track days, I have 17" AFS wheels and Kumho's.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:35 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

I used the NAPA rotors, no shipping charge for local bought.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Do you know the C4 big brake kit will install on your 87 and clear your 16 inch wheels? I ran my 86 this way for several years. Both my 16x8.5 rims and 16x9.5 rims (9.5s made for GM by Enkei) would fit over the brakes. The only rims that gave me any trouble were the older 16x9.5 rims from an 84. The casting flash on the inside of those rims was so variable that I could only get 2 out of 3 of them to fit over the calipers by filing the corner of the calipers.

Bill
Old 06-10-2007, 09:57 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Do you know the C4 big brake kit will install on your 87 and clear your 16 inch wheels? I ran my 86 this way for several years. Both my 16x8.5 rims and 16x9.5 rims (9.5s made for GM by Enkei) would fit over the brakes. The only rims that gave me any trouble were the older 16x9.5 rims from an 84. The casting flash on the inside of those rims was so variable that I could only get 2 out of 3 of them to fit over the calipers by filing the corner of the calipers.

Bill
I had read earlier posts about that, but I though that there would be some required grinding of the caliper fins to get the J55 brakes to fit. I have a pair of Enkei 16x9.5 wheels and they are noticeably different on the inside of the rim compared to the Western wheels.

Get notified of new replies

To Rotors for 87

Quick Reply: Rotors for 87