Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA classifications question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 12:28 PM
jabrun
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default SCCA classifications question

I tried searching the SCCA website but couldn't find the answer. Anyway I heard there is a scale used to mathmatically level the playing field between different models of cars runing in the same class. Example a C5 Corvette and a BMW M3 in B SP, I think it's called the pax scale or something like that. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 06-09-2007, 02:27 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

would be an interesting find, but in my 20years, I've never heard of anything that organized related to SCCA. Pretty much make up arbitrary rules, then when a car dominates for a year, they slow them down for the next year. I don't autocross anymore, but road-racing is certainly this way.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:42 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The C5 corvettes for the most part run in T1. can we say stock set up, except suppension and coolers.

The C6Z corvettes run in ST

BP is for the older SpeedWorld GT cars.

This is for road racing. For Auto-x ????
Old 06-09-2007, 02:52 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PAX is for autocross, it's a factor applied to equalize results across classes, not cars within a class.... not sure if the factors are pushlished Nationally or Regionally.

http://www.scca-chicago.com/solo/indexes/rtp2007.html
Old 06-09-2007, 03:15 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SCCA has a published rule book for AX. Along with the classing index for PAX. See the link below:

http://www.scca.org/Solo/Index.asp?IdS=2FC914-CCC8C70&x=050|070&~=

As gkmccready said, there is no indexing within a class, like BSP. Whatever cars qualify for BSP are supposedly on equal footing just like any other class. The system is far from perfect, but it is a system.

I don't believe a C5 can run BSP. A C4 modded according to the SP level, yes. Same with the M3. A C5 runs SS in stock trim (Z06, coupe, vert). When prepped/modded it goes to ASP or over to SM2.

The rules specify exactly what is allowed in stock, prep, mod classes.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

The guys over at www.trscca.com will be able to answer you better.
Post your question in the solo/autocross section of the discussion forums.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

The PAX index has been around for over 20 years.

Every competitors time is multiplied by the index for his class to get a corrected time and that can be compared to everybody else's index time. A-Modified has an index of 1.00 (ostensibly being the fastest class) and everybody else gets an index of less than 1.00.

It was intended to be a reasonable indicator of how you are doing, relative to everybody else at that particular event. So long as there is national level competiton at your event, if you can do well and win on index times, you can go to the nationals and expect to do well. If you are winning on index at a backwater local event it may not mean much, but if you are doing it at a divisional level event or if there are a few high level national competitors at the event it is a good indicator of how you are doing. It isn't magic, and different courses can mess with the index somewhat by favoring one type of car. For instance a narrow, speed maintenance course with no acceleration may tend to favor a car like a Miata over a Corvette, and if the course has a lot of low speed corners and longer straights it will favor the higher powered car, so you have to look at the results with a bit of "Kentucky windage".

Still, it is a good tool and the folks that put it together each year do a lot of research, looking at many different national level events, and compiling data and figuring out what are a good set of index numbers.

Last edited by Solofast; 06-10-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:21 AM
jabrun
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the replies.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA classifications question

Quick Reply: SCCA classifications question