Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What causes pad taper? (ceramic pads)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:07 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default What causes pad taper? (ceramic pads)

I just changed my pads back to the stock ones--C5 Z06 pads--the OE pads still had over 1/4" material left, so they were almost new.

The ones on the car were ceramic--and the pad wear was the worst by far I have ever seen. Taper was incredible, dramatic, on all 4 pads (inner and outer pads for the front 2 rotors). If you looked at the pad from the top, with the length of the pad running from top to bottom, there was taper at the leading edge (nearest to the the ground) and the trailing edge (nearest to the engine compartment). I would say that only 1/8" or so was left at the exteme areas, where as the rest of the pad had 5/16" or more left.

I hate the ceramic pads, I will not run them again (not my idea anyway--bought it like this)--but what could cause the wear on them to be this poor??? I don't want to see the Z06 pads do this on a track day.

I should add that the Z06 brakes are stock on this car -- rotors, calipers, etc etc etc.

Thanks

Andy

Last edited by sothpaw2; 06-10-2007 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:22 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You had taper at both edges? leading and trailing? I don't think I've ever seen that.

You can have taper from leading TO trailing, and radial taper (from center of wheel outward). The former is due to gasses and such from the leading edge preventing the trailing edge from making contact. The latter is due to caliper spreading.

Ultimate solution is unequally sized pistons and opposing piston calipers, respectively.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:35 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by yellow01
You had taper at both edges? leading and trailing? I don't think I've ever seen that.
Yes!! I have not seen it either. I haven't done anything with the brakes so whatever it was that caused the taper, it was something that the previous owner did /didn't do.

I did not replace the retainers just now, they looked fine, and I didn't do anything special to clean the rotor (like turn it).

Anything I should do to prevent this on the stock Z pads? Maybe this is just an issue with the ceramics??
Old 06-10-2007, 03:49 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

more info on pad taper

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1686727
Old 06-10-2007, 08:58 PM
petefias
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
I just changed my pads back to the stock ones--C5 Z06 pads--the OE pads still had over 1/4" material left, so they were almost new.

The ones on the car were ceramic--and the pad wear was the worst by far I have ever seen. Taper was incredible, dramatic, on all 4 pads (inner and outer pads for the front 2 rotors). If you looked at the pad from the top, with the length of the pad running from top to bottom, there was taper at the leading edge (nearest to the the ground) and the trailing edge (nearest to the engine compartment). I would say that only 1/8" or so was left at the exteme areas, where as the rest of the pad had 5/16" or more left.

I hate the ceramic pads, I will not run them again (not my idea anyway--bought it like this)--but what could cause the wear on them to be this poor??? I don't want to see the Z06 pads do this on a track day.

I should add that the Z06 brakes are stock on this car -- rotors, calipers, etc etc etc.

Thanks

Andy
How are the wheel bearings? Any play?
Old 06-10-2007, 09:50 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by petefias
How are the wheel bearings? Any play?
No, not that I can tell. Car only has 16,000 miles and I don't think the other buy auto-x'd or road coursed it at all--he was a more into drag racing.

Get notified of new replies

To What causes pad taper? (ceramic pads)

Quick Reply: What causes pad taper? (ceramic pads)