Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about modifying my air intake now that I have a TS facia... input?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Thinking about modifying my air intake now that I have a TS facia... input?

I've had a vortex rammer forever now... since '03. No desire to change. it looks like this:

Last night prepping for VIR I pulled it to clean and re-oil it as it had been 5000+ miles since the last change and the back roads driving in Bowling Green had the air box full of all kinds of bugs.

Well... I noticed that teh TS facia center opening is a direct shot under the absorber and bumper bar directly to the filter... so any kind of filter whether a blackwing or halltech or whatever would get a direct shot of fresh air as it enters the engine area.

I'm thinking about removing the enclosure that comes w/ the kit. The enclosure serves to seal out hot engine bay air and only let the filter get outside air from the radiator cavity. I'd get some mesh, coat it black and cover the hole left by the air enclosure to prevent major debris from getting into the engine bay.

I figure with this setup the air filter will be able to draw air from underneath as well as take advantage of the air stream from the TS facia.

Any downsides? It'd make the fitler easier to service as the box would be gone and I wouldn't have to reach up under the nose to get it out. Also... the radiator could get more air as the lower air box scoops blocks a little of the condenser currently.

Input?

For reference the Tigershark facia looks like this:

Last edited by Cobra4B; 06-14-2007 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

ttt... anyone?
Old 06-16-2007, 01:33 AM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe it was my 2001 Coupe that I had a Donaldson filter with a cold air cover. Don't recall why, but when I took the cold air cover off, the car would barely keep running when moving above a pretty low speed (heavy surging). Had to heel and toe so I could keep the engine from stalling. I'm assuming the air flow was severely disrupted when the cover was removed. It wouldn't surprise me if you experience the same thing.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about modifying my air intake now that I have a TS facia... input?

Quick Reply: Thinking about modifying my air intake now that I have a TS facia... input?