Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track tire question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 02:53 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Location: Bend, Oregon Black / Ebony 2LZ 2006 Z06 C6Z06 owner since 2/7/2006
Received 110 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Track tire question

I need some help regarding track tires, but it doesn't involve my Z06. Any advice would surely be appreciated.

I recently bought a spec Miata. As part of the package, I received a spare set of tires without rims. The previous owner said they would be great for testing, but not the race as they have many heat cycles. Since I am testing the day before the race weekend, I wanted to mount these tires on rims for practice and keep my other tires for the qualifying and race. But these practice tires have a lot of bubble gum(spent rubber) all over them. Can tires like this be mounted and balanced? I have never done that before. I'm concerned once on track, the excess rubber would come of and un-balance the wheel.

For those with experience, would you;(remember, these are only for practice)
A) Mount and balance and not worry about it
B) Mount and NOT balance, because it won't be balance after the excess rubber wears off
C) Throw away good practice rubber because there is no way to remount them and balance properly.

By the way, the tires are Toyo Proxies RA-1
Old 06-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z Fast
I need some help regarding track tires, but it doesn't involve my Z06. Any advice would surely be appreciated.

I recently bought a spec Miata. As part of the package, I received a spare set of tires without rims. The previous owner said they would be great for testing, but not the race as they have many heat cycles. Since I am testing the day before the race weekend, I wanted to mount these tires on rims for practice and keep my other tires for the qualifying and race. But these practice tires have a lot of bubble gum(spent rubber) all over them. Can tires like this be mounted and balanced? I have never done that before. I'm concerned once on track, the excess rubber would come of and un-balance the wheel.

For those with experience, would you;(remember, these are only for practice)
A) Mount and balance and not worry about it
B) Mount and NOT balance, because it won't be balance after the excess rubber wears off
C) Throw away good practice rubber because there is no way to remount them and balance properly.

By the way, the tires are Toyo Proxies RA-1
Ok, mount and balance as they are, do some donuts in a parking lot and see if you can shake loose those turds, then see if you have any vibrations. If not, dont worry about it. Worst thing that happens is your tires wear funny right? Or if you feel a vibration or you're paranoid, take them back after you shake the turds loose to get rebalanced.

Maybe some tire stores offer lifetime balancing on a set of tires?

Either way, I dont see you getting into too much trouble with this.

Also, if you dont want to risk getting caught running the spec miata on the street, hit the miataforum.com and find a friend near you that can put them on his car for de-turding and testing
Old 06-14-2007, 05:10 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I had a set of used tires that had a lot of "pick-up" rubber on them and they balanced just fine. Balance didn't change after scrubbing it off either. Could be that it is evenly distributed around tire or doesn't weigh much.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:41 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Thanks for the advice. From your responses, it sounds like it should not be a big issue. Since they are only for practice, I will mount and balance and run them.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:10 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you will be racing at PIR? What is your car # (and name)so we can watch for you
Old 06-14-2007, 09:38 PM
Z Fast
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joy of 6
Sounds like you will be racing at PIR? What is your car # (and name)so we can watch for you
You are correct - PIR - June 30-July 1
I might try to run both SM & ITA

I still have to submit to reserve my car number. The number on the car I picked up a couple of weeks ago is already taken. I haven't had a chance to sort anything out. I hope to make the practice day before the weekend.

The car is a bright slime green. It will say "SS Motorsports" on it.

If you get a chance, stop by and say hello.

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Track tire question

Quick Reply: Track tire question