Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Much Brake Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Steve49841
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much Brake Fluid

I want to flush the old brake fluid out of the system on my C5 Z06 and switch to Motul for an up coming HPDE at Mid Ohio. The question is How much Motul will I need to buy to replace the old dirty stuff. The service manager at our local Chevy dealership said a gallon. Can that be right?
Old 06-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

You can watch the fluid change color so then you know each caliper has the fresh fluid. I have flushed mine and used two pints, with very little left. If you are going to buy fluid it might be best to stick with just one type. So buy enough to last awhile. Do you intend to bleed the brakes often? Three pints will leave enough with my C4 to flush the system and have enough to spot bleed here and there. If you are going to stick with one type of fluid, buy a bunch. I use three pints per year at the above rate.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:29 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by Steve49841
I want to flush the old brake fluid out of the system on my C5 Z06 and switch to Motul for an up coming HPDE at Mid Ohio. The question is How much Motul will I need to buy to replace the old dirty stuff. The service manager at our local Chevy dealership said a gallon. Can that be right?
AIR, it took about two bottles of Motul and I had the shop do the Tech II ABS flush to get it all.
Dealership is full of brake fluid!
Some use ATE Blue/Gold ... alternate to do the color change thing ...
I' bought a case of Motul (12 bottles) in April 2004; gone thru 9 so far; figure what I have will last the rest of this year.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:54 AM
Steve49841
Advanced

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
You can watch the fluid change color so then you know each caliper has the fresh fluid. I have flushed mine and used two pints, with very little left. If you are going to buy fluid it might be best to stick with just one type. So buy enough to last awhile. Do you intend to bleed the brakes often? Three pints will leave enough with my C4 to flush the system and have enough to spot bleed here and there. If you are going to stick with one type of fluid, buy a bunch. I use three pints per year at the above rate.
When I change to Motul that will be all I use in the future, and I have a local supplier, so getting it is no problem. Because I'm new to HPDE I really don't know how often I will have to spot bleed yet but I want to be prepared. I did a NASA event at Grattan a couple of weeks ago and the brakes did fine but the fluid is nasty looking and I want to get it changed to a high temp to be safe. Are you guys having to spot bleed hi temp synthetic brake fluid at the track?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:26 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Figure 2 full bottles.

One full bottle to flush each line and caliper, and most of the second bottle to fill.

Just because you see the fluid change color, make sure you 'tap' each claper to brake free any bubbles or old fluid that may be stuck in there.

Once you do all four corners, put your wheels back on and go for a drive and make sure the brakes work. If they do, hit the brakes hard a few times, then back to the garage to bleed all four calipers again.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:38 AM
Steve49841
Advanced

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Figure 2 full bottles.

One full bottle to flush each line and caliper, and most of the second bottle to fill.

Just because you see the fluid change color, make sure you 'tap' each claper to brake free any bubbles or old fluid that may be stuck in there.

Once you do all four corners, put your wheels back on and go for a drive and make sure the brakes work. If they do, hit the brakes hard a few times, then back to the garage to bleed all four calipers again.

Thanks, looks like a couple of bottles should do it. We are going to use one of those pressure bleeders so hopefully that will take care of trapped bubbles etc but the re-bleed is still a good idea.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:22 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve49841
Thanks, looks like a couple of bottles should do it. We are going to use one of those pressure bleeders so hopefully that will take care of trapped bubbles etc but the re-bleed is still a good idea.
Defintly the pressure bleeder, but still tap on the caliper lightly.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 06-25-2007 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:18 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

for those "little" bottles, I like to drain the resevoir with a syringe, then:

1 bottle to flush, 1 bottle to bleed, and another bottle to top off the system and save. So 3 bottles. For big bottles like Valvoline Synpower, you can do it with 1.5 bottles, maybe even just one.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:24 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While you are at it, do Ranger's clutch fluid routine as well. Use your Motul brake fluid in there as well. Get all the old fluid out of the reservoir, put in fresh Motul. Pump the clutch pedal 20 to 30 times, remove the fluid from the reservior and replace with fresh fluid. Repeat that a couple of times until the fluid stays clear. Motul will mix fine with existing DOT 3 or 4 fluid in your clutch system.

In terms of how often to bleed the brakes, I usually do it before each track event. Be sure to remove as much of the old fluid as you can from the brake reservoir and put in fresh fluid before bleeding the system.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Prankster
Racer

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
for those "little" bottles, I like to drain the resevoir with a syringe, then:

1 bottle to flush, 1 bottle to bleed, and another bottle to top off the system and save. So 3 bottles. For big bottles like Valvoline Synpower, you can do it with 1.5 bottles, maybe even just one.

I just did it this weekend, and used 2 full bottles..but I still needed a third bottle to top it off. It was pretty close, but I needed just a little from the 3rd bottle.

pkstr
Old 06-25-2007, 07:41 PM
R Mackow
Racer

What's a pressure bleeder? I have been using an old laboratory vacuum pump to draw fluid out. If you put a bottle in-line(rubber lab cork w/an inlet and out let tube), the vacuum is maintained and fluid drops out in the bottle. I also use the same setup to suck the master cyl. and clutch reserviors. Are there any issues in bleeding fluid under vacuum?

Get notified of new replies

To How Much Brake Fluid

Quick Reply: How Much Brake Fluid