Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powdercoating on my brakes ruined after 1 event... odd.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Powdercoating on my brakes ruined after 1 event... odd.

Had some fresh calipers powdered black... oem ones are powdered red. Not sure why... but the heat made the powder get gooey again, so the rocks from the pits at VIR stuck to them and the brake dust is now in the coating.

My nice shiney calipers now look like this... this is after picking out all the rocks w/ a screwdriver and washing them twice.

I guess all powdercoating is not equal.

They used to look like this...

Old 07-03-2007, 10:02 AM
KCHOTBOAT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most powders cure at 400 degrees so that is why yours did that. There are some high temp powders out there. They are good up to 1000 degrees.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:02 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very strange...I had a set of Wilwood SL6 Calipers powder coated red from LG and they were rock solid. They stayed shiny and perfect after an entire season before I sold the car. Either you had bad/cheap paint or the application was not done correctly.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by KCHOTBOAT
Most powders cure at 400 degrees so that is why yours did that. There are some high temp powders out there. They are good up to 1000 degrees.
I guess that's the issue...
Originally Posted by 95jersey
Very strange...I had a set of Wilwood SL6 Calipers powder coated red from LG and they were rock solid. They stayed shiny and perfect after an entire season before I sold the car. Either you had bad/cheap paint or the application was not done correctly.
They looked awesome, guess it wasn't rated for the heat. The supplier has offered me a refund for my costs... so that's good.

I may just paint them w/ caliper paint who knows.

Get notified of new replies

To Powdercoating on my brakes ruined after 1 event... odd.

Quick Reply: Powdercoating on my brakes ruined after 1 event... odd.