Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EBC Yellow Racing Brake Pads, Any good??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 06:16 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default EBC Yellow Racing Brake Pads, Any good??

I have been using Carbotech 10s and 12s for HPDE's and am happy with them but $$ is always something to look at.

Anyone try the EBC Yellow brake pad that is touted as being race ready and how did they do.

About $80.00 less per front set than most others.

Thanks for any input
Old 07-03-2007, 07:03 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will never again touch EBC pads after trying their Green Stuff on my '91 Miata _on the street_. They were absolutely the worst pads I've ever tried. They didn't even feel like they'd stop the Miata at street speeds... they did, but the feel was awful.

They'd have to pay me for me to try them on the Corvette.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:56 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I ran a set of GreenStuff pads in my 87 for autocross a couple years ago. The seemed to work fine and if anything they had just a little less stopping power than the old Hawk HPS pads I removed.

The GreenStuff pads seemed to work best with a bit of heat in them although cold bite was fine. Very little dust compared to the Hawk HPS pads but they really didn't last. I tried one track day with them and I think I used up about 1/2 of the pad thickness. They were very easy on my stock rotors.

EBC recommended the RedStuff pads for track use but they also recommended that thos pads be removed after the end of the session and stret pads re-installed for driving home.

I bought the GreenStuff pads from the Tire Rack and the reviews at the time seemed to be positive. They were cheap at the time I bought them and now T-R doesn't carry them anymore. Maybe a slow seller.

Would I buy them again? Probably not as I have found the Hawk HPS pads to work great on the street and for autocross. Reasonably priced and I can swap to the HP+ pads for track days without having to re-bed the pads if I am not changing rotors.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:58 PM
jpasterjak
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use EBC Yellows on the '99 FRC project car and I like them quite a bit. They're a little dustier than stock pads, but they don't appear to be too hard on rotors, and they have good manners on street and for autocross. I especially like their initial bite. It's aggressive, but linear. You can hit the pedal once and not have to readjust after initial the initial bite.

Brake pads are a very personal thing, however. It might not hurt to find a way to try a few different brands before settling on one.

J.G. Pasterjak
Grassroots Motorsports
Classic Motorsports
Old 07-04-2007, 01:25 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jpasterjak
I use EBC Yellows on the '99 FRC project car and I like them quite a bit. They're a little dustier than stock pads, but they don't appear to be too hard on rotors, and they have good manners on street and for autocross. I especially like their initial bite. It's aggressive, but linear. You can hit the pedal once and not have to readjust after initial the initial bite.
I use them on a 96 C4 autocross / track day / street Vette, with great results for me, others opinion may differ.

I do run the "yellowstuff" pads, not the greenstuff, I don't think it's fair to compare greenstuff to carbotech's or yellowstuff's, big differnce.

You will get some brake dust, but that's better than rotor wear at only $80 a set it's well worth it IMHO.

**They don't come with "anti-sqeaul" pads, so you will have some noise on the street**
Old 07-04-2007, 11:03 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"

Thanks for the input
Gonna give them a try and will report on the results
Old 07-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WNeal
I have been using Carbotech 10s and 12s for HPDE's and am happy with them but $$ is always something to look at.

Anyone try the EBC Yellow brake pad that is touted as being race ready and how did they do.

About $80.00 less per front set than most others.

Thanks for any input
I use them on my C6 and they tend to chunk on me and the backing plates fall off. The last chunk was about 1/10 of a nearly new pad.
I can also get them to fade a little sometimes, but they seem to do an ok job of resisting it.

I will be testing OEM C5ZO6s or Carbotechs the next time I buy new pads.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

I run the heavy duty EBC pads on my dakota...they seem to work well with plenty of bite to stop the trailer if needed...pad life appears to be good too. I know that is not much help, but the quality is there and the pads hold up to towing.

I have never looked to run anything else on my car since I have used the Wilwood H pads...they are just simply amazing.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:44 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Default I love the "Yellowstuff's"

I love em' so much....I just put them on the rear brakes, along with new rotors. I have had no "chunking" issues.

Note: available from this vendor at low prices:

http://www.thepartsbin.com/

I have had great results, and fast ship times thru thepartsbin.com and free shipping on orders over $50

WNeal: any results to report?
Old 03-22-2008, 11:35 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Old 03-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I plan to try the EBC "Yellow Stuff" on my rear OEM calipers while running the Wilwood H's on the LG G-Stop Wilwood SL6 front calipers - should be a good combination. I've used the "Yellow Stuff" on my Celica GT "track rat" with great success. I plan to install them once I wear through my current rear pads (Carbotech XP10, Hawk HP+ and OEM). I'm not sure I would trust them on my front calipers for my setup/speed. I also use the EBC pads on my Dodge Dakota truck.

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 03-23-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:30 AM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I tried the yellow pad after running a couple sets of Carbotech XP12/10 and did not like them. They didn't grab immediately and seemed to heat up and fad fast. I sold my second set of yellow pads to a friend who was still running stock pads and she loved them.

I suspect I just got spoiled by the high end of performance (and cost) and would be happy with the yellow pads if I learned to use them.

The idea of using these on the rears in interesting. May need to try that.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:46 PM
racingfast
Pro

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
I plan to try the EBC "Yellow Stuff" on my rear OEM calipers while running the Wilwood H's on the LG G-Stop Wilwood SL6 front calipers - should be a good combination. I've used the "Yellow Stuff" on my Celica GT "track rat" with great success. I plan to install them once I wear through my current rear pads (Carbotech XP10, Hawk HP+ and OEM). I'm not sure I would trust them on my front calipers for my setup/speed. I also use the EBC pads on my Dodge Dakota truck.
MIKE.... RUN away from those EBC Yellow pads man. I had them on for ONE day at POCONO and they chunked pieces out and scored my rotors. The yellow paint burnt and peeled off, as though I had them on for an entire year. Carbotech 10/12 combo is the way to go. $80 more--and you dont get to say, "Damm that hit on the wall was hard, but I saved $80"
Just my $0.02. Brian
Old 03-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks Brian, That's the type of feedback I was looking for - I think I'll pass on using them at the track. Mike
Old 03-23-2008, 05:53 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by WNeal
I absolutely destroyed a set in 2 days on NSS roadcourse. Not used up, destroyed. They were powder when I took them off. I've used HP+ and DTC70s and while I will use them up, I've never seen a set of pads turn to powder like the EBC's did. I won't be using them again.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1823124

Last edited by Jason; 03-23-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:49 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Wow, these opinions are all over the board. I have a set of reds on the front and yellow in the back and find them almost as good as the carbotech 10 and 8 combination. Have not had problem with them fading , chunking or powdering.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:08 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joy of 6
Wow, these opinions are all over the board. I have a set of reds on the front and yellow in the back and find them almost as good as the carbotech 10 and 8 combination. Have not had problem with them fading , chunking or powdering.
Maybe we don't use the brakes enough? Most of my racing is the lower speed autocrosses, but they are still hard on brakes, just not at 150 mph.

Get notified of new replies

To EBC Yellow Racing Brake Pads, Any good??

Old 03-23-2008, 10:31 PM
racingfast
Pro

Think you said it best TOM...low speed AX sure do use up brakes.... for 45-75 seconds.... then you have 15-20 mins between runs to cool down. At an HPDE, you are out there for 25-35 mins and to give you an example---at POCONO, the back strait I am running almost 170mph, and after I pass the braking zone there is a hard left turn into the infield, which you need to take at no more than 30mph.... so you have to downshift from 5th to 2nd and use ALOT of brake to lose 130-140mph....every lap.. and there will be 15 20 laps like that in a session.

And---- JOY of 6 is using carbo 8's and 10's. I use 10's and 12's... More agressive... better stopping ..

Just noticed you're in the MW NCCC region----- Know PAUL H & Jack W??

Last edited by racingfast; 03-23-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joy of 6
Ahhh, was looking at the wrong end of the car. I have Yellow in Front and Red in back. sorry....
Old 03-24-2008, 08:39 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"

I tried the Yellow stuff but am now Officially a Carbotech Brake user 100%

Havn't found any better

Quick Reply: EBC Yellow Racing Brake Pads, Any good??