Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ncm Hpde @ Vir

Old 07-03-2007, 10:38 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ncm Hpde @ Vir

I just wanted to say: Tom & Roc - great job running the NCM event at VIR these past two days. I had a great time - lots of track time and a very smoothly run event.

I never expected to see a C6 Z06 roof FLY OFF 50 feet in front of me at 120+!!!! That's something I'll remember for a while!!!

I had some great sessions and found some good people to run with!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

That roof was crazy - that was my green students son driving at the time.

The event was great - thanks Tom and all the NCM people.

Best part was to finally get to drive a new z06 (thanks Cliff!). What a way to test drive the beast but on VIR Full!!!!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:48 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freefall
I just wanted to say: Tom & Roc - great job running the NCM event at VIR these past two days. I had a great time - lots of track time and a very smoothly run event.

I never expected to see a C6 Z06 roof FLY OFF 50 feet in front of me at 120+!!!! That's something I'll remember for a while!!!

I had some great sessions and found some good people to run with!
the best part was that it flew off 2 times, giving me a chance to see it in person. after the first time they duct taped it back on, and then on the back straight, WOOSH. I started laughing uncontrollably.

i was hoping the owner would park the car next to the gm engineers.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:58 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wallyman424
i was hoping the owner would park the car next to the gm engineers.
Jack's student was driving it when it flew off. Apparently the owner was "fit to be tied" since this was the second time he lost the top and the first time it took over 3 weeks to get the parts in for the repair.

I think I would have parked it next to the gm engineers and taken one of the factory cars out for the two sessions they missed.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:09 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

WOW!! What a blast Many thanks to Tom, Roc and the rest of the crew who worked long and hard to run the event. You guys all did a fantastic job of recruiting the best instructors, getting us to an absolutely awesome site and putting it all together for us! My first time at VIR... and I WILL be back!!

The NCM should do many more of these HPDE's- I encourage everyone who attended to write and/or email the NCM and let Wendell and others there know just how much fun and completely successful these events are and that we want more!!...let's keep them going!!!

Thanks to Danny Popp for being an outstanding instructor - I learned so much in the past 2 days on track with you

And just in case you're wondering - you haven't lived 'til you ride a few hot laps with Danny behind the wheel at VIR Man, that guy can DRIVE!!!
Old 07-03-2007, 11:42 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

LOL - I was following Danny and Mark in one of the c6z's...never seen anyone drift turn 10 before!!!

I was with my student (one of the GM guys - yes, I had fun with that for a while) when the roof flew the first time - it went over 100 feet straight up (thankfully - we drove under it)...and it didn't even get scratched! Go figure.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:12 AM
kelp
Drifting

Excellent and well organized. Will be sure to write, as events like that deserved an elevated profile to NCM administration. Also, my personal thanks to Jeff England, great instructor and very personable.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:10 AM
kelp
Drifting

Originally Posted by ERND IT
WOW!! What a blast My first time at VIR... and I WILL be back!! The NCM should do many more of these HPDE's- I encourage everyone who attended to write and/or email the NCM and let Wendell and others there know just how much fun and completely successful these events are and that we want more!!...let's keep them going!!!
Sample letter, mail tomorrow.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:43 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL - I was following Danny and Mark in one of the c6z's...never seen anyone drift turn 10 before!!!

I think Wallyman can vouch for me on that one! I just wish he had a camera in his car!

Joe
Old 07-04-2007, 03:01 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
I think Wallyman can vouch for me on that one! I just wish he had a camera in his car!

Joe
I wish I had seen it happen. I saw the car, did a double take, and almost thought my mind was playing tricks.

Very well run event! Special thanks to Roc & Tom for orgainizing and to you Joe for instructing & patience.

Andy
Old 07-04-2007, 06:23 AM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=freefall;1560932092]LOL - I was following Danny and Mark in one of the c6z's...never seen anyone drift turn 10 before!!!
QUOTE]

On about the fourth lap, we come out of the lower esses and Danny says' "THATS JOHN" and then proceeded to pass Freefall as we entered the upper esses around 135 or so, came around turn 10 drifting sideways at 115 or so (pointed towards the tire wall) like we were on ice. Freefall stayed in my rearview mirror alot longer that I thought he would. What a $%^&ing ride.

Last edited by 94ZR1#444; 07-04-2007 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

It was a fabulous event. The weather was made to order, the group was festive and I had 2 outstanding students. What more could we want?

My appreciation goes to Roc, Tom and all of the support staff from the Museum that put the little nuts and bolts together to make this a first class event.

I didn't see the C6's flip their lids but I heard about them. Some guy next to me (who will remain anonymous ), pop riveted his top on during the weekend to prevent it from coming apart. Seems to me a fix for those roofs would be a code red recall to prevent a catastrophe on the highway.

Wallyman's Lincoln Refrigerator was the hit of the day. That looked like the things people down here at the Big Pine Key Trailer & Adult Living Theme Park do. It's always funny watching them start the drive down to the Social Security office and the extension cord snaps.

For you guys who are on the fence about participating in one of the Museum's events, don't hesitate when they put the enrollment on line. Start punching those keys when registratin opens and get those cars on track.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:10 AM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow, what a facility and track layout! A very exciting course that elevates the fun factor off the meter with the turns, twists, elevation changes, blind rises, downhill corkscrews, long straights and lots of possible lines. Great course selection and event Tom, Roc and so many others that made the event possible. And thanks to the instructors and the great participants that make the off track time enjoyable as well....great to see everyone. And a special message for Dr. Bohlman...thanx Tom, it wuz reel guud tym.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Oh My GOD!!!! What a fantastic event!!!! It was nonstop entertainment for 2 1/2 days. Hectic, exciting, funny, and sometimes thrilling.

First of all, we (Nancy & I) would like to thank the NCM staff for doing the grunt work and organizing such a safe and fun event. The only possible glitch we could detect was "What time is dinner and where is it gonna be?" Roc was always there to answer question and resolve concerns. (I will deal with the Tshirt issue later) Putting events on such as this one are very time consuming and a lot of hard work. Their work makes it easy for us to just show up and drive. I have attended all 4 NCM events and they just get better and better. Roc, we don't get to see all the work that has to be done for this or all the people involved so would you do us a favor and express our most heartfelt gratitude for their efforts. (Yea, even the schmucko Adam )

Next, we would like to thank Tom (AU N EGL) for all the time and effort he devotes to these. As head instructor, or is that lead instructor, he does a fantastic job. I have heard of very few complaints about student/instructor pairings. That says alot for the job he does. You can't please everyone but he comes close.

In the same theme, we would like to express our gratitude to all the intructors that volunteer to pass on the knowledge they have aqired over the years to us that have just started. The only thing I can say is y'all gotta be a bit nuts to get into a car with someone you just met and get them to drive 125MPH while the only control you have over the vehicle is talking them through it and the pucker factor in your seat. Thank you.

Mike, (Nancy's instructor) Thanks for being who you are and as encouraging as you are. She had an absolute blast with you. She learned so much and is a lot more comfortable in her car. Although, I do think a monster has been created. She is talking about making her car a track car and getting a C5 for a daily driver. Then comes the trailer, tires, parts...etc

Jody, What can I say? We had another great time. I learned a ton from you about VIR and learned its ok to try a few things on my own. I actually hit the rev limiter in 4th down the back stretch and over 140 in the front, kept it on track and no trauma. I especially appreciate you pointing out the line down the front straight that avoids that bump. What an amazing experience. If any of you students like an instructor that can talk for 20-30 minutes without taking a breath and knows what he is talking about, Jody's your guy.

Now, I would like to thank everyone that helped with issues on my car. I had a brand new gatorback belt chunk on me. Fortunately Jody had a used one and Steve and I got it replaced. Thanks Dave for all the input, advice, and general knowledge (as well as the tensioner)

Finally, I would like to thank VIR, their staff and the corner workers for their efforts and proffessionalism. Without them it wouldn't happen. Jody even got to extend the International symbol of greeting to Doug. Made the event complete.

I had a great time seeing the usual cast of characters and even made some new friends. Myra can drive that Z06.

***Hi, all:
Bob asked if it was okay for him to speak for the both of us. I didn't realize he would be so verbose (silly me!). I do agree with all he said. I had a great time at a great venue with great people. I look forward to seeing you all again soon. Mike - thank you again for being such a great instructor and helping me learn some 'kitty cat' smoothness.
Nancy - njoy - C4 LT4
Old 07-04-2007, 10:01 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by ERND IT
Thanks to Danny Popp for being an outstanding instructor - I learned so much in the past 2 days on track with you

And just in case you're wondering - you haven't lived 'til you ride a few hot laps with Danny behind the wheel at VIR Man, that guy can DRIVE!!!

Danny came out of a turn hot? I simply don't believe it. He leaves more black marks then his passengers leave brown ones.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:41 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kelp
Also, my personal thanks to Jeff England, great instructor and very personable.
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

I had Jeff's son Jake. He was absolutely amazing! The kicker is he is only 18

Jeff, you should be proud.

Dan
Old 07-04-2007, 10:45 AM
outnumbered
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

This event was by far one of the most organized events I have attended.

The people were fantastic, Including participants. I will surely attend another one.

I thank all involved for a great safe, safe, fun time.

Get notified of new replies

To Ncm Hpde @ Vir

Old 07-04-2007, 11:11 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

Our Z06 now has 3 RIVETS holding the roof off...since someone else beat us to the punch, we decided to not take any chances. New roof is on the way for us.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:02 PM
KY-Traveler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

CI 7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by outnumbered
I had Jeff's son Jake. He was absolutely amazing! The kicker is he is only 18

Dan
Jake was my instructor at CMP. His instruction there really paid off at VIR. He's also wicked on the Kart track.

If Corvette Racing is looking for a new driver they should talk to Jake.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Originally Posted by Aquaman
Danny came out of a turn hot? I simply don't believe it. He leaves more black marks then his passengers leave brown ones.
Just a little...... I was Dann'ys other student and he drove 4 or so laps in my A4 97'
We absolutely hammered my 97’ for 2 days………dump in some 100 octane to quiet the KR, dump some oil in to keep the bearings happy and of course, do a little drift work in 10,1 and a few other places…….I have another definition for RAFT, he knows it now AWSOME instructor but……..I think just cause he was in a Holiday Inn the night before

More later

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ncm Hpde @ Vir