Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on Sports Seats in a C5 Zo6

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 09:39 PM
rollinthunder
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Questions on Sports Seats in a C5 Zo6

I do a few weekends of lapping days with Porsche Club, BMW and Viper Days. Porsche Club is changing their regulations on the seatbelts coming through the seat instead of around the sides of the seat. Their thinking is the belts could slip off your shoulders in an accident. By next summer you must have belts that come through the seat back. I just aquired a set of 2000 Corvette Sport Seats.

Two questions.... The Sport Seats have two wiring plugs, where the drivers side Z06 has a single plug and the passenger seat is a manual operation. Did GM use the same wiring harness for all the Corvettes and bury the plugs under the carpeting? I haven't taken the factory seats out yet.

The second question is I'm 6"4" and the slot in the back of the sport seat is a few inches below the top of my shoulders. Is this a safe condition or should the slots be at the top of my shoulders? The rollbar is approx. in line with the slots in the seat. I wanted the adjustability of the sport seats as my daughters and a few friends drive the car at autocross events. Also, I really don't want to climb over the side blosters of a race seat.

Thanks for your insight...

Last edited by rollinthunder; 07-11-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:05 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to hijack your thread, but...

I have the Corvette sport seats in my 2000. (not a Z06, so they were stock) I drove HPDE's with them for a couple years, but I couldn't stand how they had NO shoulder support. Even with a very tight 6-point harness, I was flailing side to side in high G corners.

Last year I bought a Sparco TRS seat, which is adjustable fore and aft, and back angle. I install the Sparco seat for the HPDEs, and return to the Corvette sport seat for day-to-day driving. I'm very happy with that decision.

One drawback is that the TRS seat doesn't really fit into the C5 as well as I would prefer. I have to disconnect the stock seat belt retractor near my left hip when I install the TRS seat.

... OK, I'll let the thread return to the topics you mentioned.

Could it be that the six-way adjustable feature of the sport seats requires more plugs? I don't know much about the Z06 seats.

I'm just 5' 9", so I had no problem with the shoulder harness position when using my Corvette sport seats.

Bob
Old 07-11-2007, 11:13 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

cars with memory seats have different plugs. You can swap the electronics in the seats to make them interchangable.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:21 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

You don't have to change out the seats, just the seat back leather skins. The seat bottoms between the stock and sport seats are so similar it makes no real difference in seating stability.

Email me and I'll send you a how-to for changing out the seat skins. You'll truly spend as much, if not more, time getting your seats in and out as you will changing out the skins.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=rollinthunder;1561036212]I do a few weekends of lapping days with Porsche Club, BMW and Viper Days. Porsche Club is changing their regulations on the seatbelts coming through the seat instead of around the sides of the seat. Their thinking is the belts could slip off your shoulders in an accident. By next summer you must have belts that come through the seat back. I just aquired a set of 2000 Corvette Sport Seats.

The Sport seats and the Z06 Seats are the same basic frame only the Z covers the hole in the top of the frame. I had an upholstery shop cut a half moon in both seats and feed the shulder harneses through it. I know you arlready bought seats but this might be an option...($50)
Old 07-12-2007, 03:06 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I replaced my Z06 seats with Sport seats. If I remember correctly the second plug is for the telescoping column. I plugged the Sport seat into the Z06 plug and all worked. The passenger sport seat connects to a different fuse and circuit breaker in the passenger foot well fuse block.
I'm just over six feet but wanted more head room so I installed the driver base into the passenger side and did some modifying to the manual rails to lower the seat about 3/4".
I removed the rear bracket between the rail and the brace and made a wedge washer to mate the surfaces. This tips the seat to a knees up position.
On another note, I had my headliner replaced with a 2002 headliner. The 2003,2004 headliner drops down in the area of your helmet when your seat is back on the rails.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:50 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,028 Posts

IIRC, the rule change also requires the seats have the appropriate hole(s) for 5pt or 6 pt sub belt(s). Unless you cut up the bottom cushion, the sport seats won't satisfy the criteria of a stringent inspector.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:30 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by rollinthunder

The second question is I'm 6"4" and the slot in the back of the sport seat is a few inches below the top of my shoulders. Is this a safe condition or should the slots be at the top of my shoulders? The rollbar is approx. in line with the slots in the seat. I wanted the adjustability of the sport seats as my daughters and a few friends drive the car at autocross events. Also, I really don't want to climb over the side blosters of a race seat.

Thanks for your insight...
You do not want the seats to obstruct the straight line path the belt follows from your shoulder to the bar mount. If the seat is pushing the belt down the seat just became part of the harness system. No matter how tight you can manually tighten the harness it will never be properly tightened and if you are in an accident the belt will pull straight thus breaking the seat back and adding an inch or so length to the belt. This will let your upper body move forward more than it should.

Bill
Old 07-13-2007, 02:53 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=Joy of 6;1561043584]
I do a few weekends of lapping days with Porsche Club, BMW and Viper Days. Porsche Club is changing their regulations on the seatbelts coming through the seat instead of around the sides of the seat. Their thinking is the belts could slip off your shoulders in an accident. By next summer you must have belts that come through the seat back. I just aquired a set of 2000 Corvette Sport Seats.

The Sport seats and the Z06 Seats are the same basic frame only the Z covers the hole in the top of the frame. I had an upholstery shop cut a half moon in both seats and feed the shulder harneses through it. I know you arlready bought seats but this might be an option...($50)

WOULD YOU MIND POSTING A PICTURE OF THE SEAT?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:44 AM
jtkeller
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

Yes, I'd like to see a pic of Joy of 6's seats too!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:23 PM
01Pewter
Melting Slicks

CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
CI-X Auto-X Champ (street tires)
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner

I only changed the foam and the cover over the seat backs.
Instant sport seats. The hardest part was removing the **** used for dumping the seat forward.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:00 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Pewter
I only changed the foam and the cover over the seat backs.
Instant sport seats. The hardest part was removing the **** used for dumping the seat forward.
Where did you get your supplies from?
Old 07-13-2007, 08:27 PM
01Pewter
Melting Slicks

CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
CI-X Auto-X Champ (street tires)
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner

Originally Posted by MyFirstCorvette
Where did you get your supplies from?
They were donated from a Vet getting custom covers.
The covers have a few wear spots.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:35 AM
rollinthunder
Advanced

Thanks to all for your replys.

Joy of 6 ... I might go the route of cutting the seat backs. I looked at that and thought the frame was in the way of the location that I need the holes cut. I'll look at that again. Do you have any pictutes?

96GS#007... I have the Brey-Krouse seat belt Harness setup. You sit on the 6 point sub belt. It does not come up through the seat.

Bill Dearborn... I thought that the seatbelt slot location might be a problem. I want adjustability in the seat, lower side blosters and a seat that is low to the floor for helmet clearance. The stock Z06 seat all the way down and back gives me the clearance I need. Is there a race seat that might offer the features I'm looking for?

I think for me that modifying my Z06 seats would serve me best.

I might have a set of black Sport Seats for sale given my height.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:15 AM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Price? Pics?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to all for your replys.

Joy of 6 ... I might go the route of cutting the seat backs. I looked at that and thought the frame was in the way of the location that I need the holes cut. I'll look at that again. Do you have any pictutes?

96GS#007... I have the Brey-Krouse seat belt Harness setup. You sit on the 6 point sub belt. It does not come up through the seat.

Bill Dearborn... I thought that the seatbelt slot location might be a problem. I want adjustability in the seat, lower side blosters and a seat that is low to the floor for helmet clearance. The stock Z06 seat all the way down and back gives me the clearance I need. Is there a race seat that might offer the features I'm looking for?

I think for me that modifying my Z06 seats would serve me best.

I sent you an email. Have photos but don;t know how to post
Old 07-16-2007, 01:52 PM
jtkeller
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '07

Joy 0f 6 - I'd love to see the seats as well - please email me the pic - jtkeller01@gmail.com
Old 07-16-2007, 09:25 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you would email the pics to me I will post them for you.

Thanks,
Craig

Get notified of new replies

To Questions on Sports Seats in a C5 Zo6

Quick Reply: Questions on Sports Seats in a C5 Zo6