Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highs and lows at the Watkins Glen SCCA National.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:18 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Highs and lows at the Watkins Glen SCCA National.....

The Glen National was to be the 6th race of the season for Rhonda and I, my second year there, and a chance to really hit a track I fell in love with as hard as I could. Well, the track hit me before I had a chance to even post a transponder time!! As many of you now know in my 3rd test session on Friday 'ole faithfull #86 chewed her steering rack up. The unfortunate thing was that I lost the rack in turn 1, which dried the pump up as all of the fluid left the rack and filled the drivers side steering boot. Then, after the 3.4 mile drive back to my paddock my pump began to burn up. No big deal as I had a spare pump in the trailer, but the rack was of more concern.

I was ready to pack it in, literally lining up to load the trailer when my good friend David Pintaric showed up in my paddock and basically told me that we would be having a rumble in the dirt if I gave up that easily, essentially Dave was offering the help of his Kryderracing crew ( Matt M. and Matt C. ) to get the car in shape to race provided we could find a rack. Then along comes John Buttermore and graciously offered the spare setup he had for his car that was sitting in the trailer. I was back in business. After 3 hours of wrestling something really large out of a really tight space the rack was out, then we found out the bad news. The Buttermores had a spare rack for a C6 Corvette, which turns out to be slightly different than a C5 Corvette. I was back on the trailer. Again, with motivation from Dave ( he keeps me honest, I tell ya!! ) I made a few calls to local places, none of which would end up having the needed setup. Rhonda and I went to the lodge that night and had a long talk about NEDiv Points, our luck, and what we should do. In short, Rhonda got up early, grabbed us breakfast and proceeded to the track to "unregister" us from the race. Because I had not set a tire on track the deed was done and we were out, effectively handing me my first DNS/DNF in my 14 National races. I suppose it had to happen sometime as I am told that is a pretty respectable stretch. Meanwhile somehow Dave had again come thru and found a rack, but the deed was done and my mind was not in it, I was a spectator for the rest of the weekend.

Spectating was not so bad, it allowed me for the first time ever to mingle a bit more ( something I never seem to get to do while working on the car ) and I was able to help some fellow drivers on the grid do some last minute errands before the race. Rhonda was able to watch with no stress and take pictures as I stood by wondering whether we would be switching Daves Viper to rain tires as the clouds built. It was fun to watch, but I have to tell you, that is when it hit me that I REALLY wanted to be out on track. This racing thing is not just a dream to me, it's an addiction!!

In short, I'd like to publicly thank my good friend Dave Pintaric for keeping my head in the game at least for a while, both Matts and Kryderracing for the amount of support you guys have given Rhonda and I, not only this time, but ever since we have known you all. A thanks to Mike Scornavacchi for the moral support, sorry my car gave yours the "bird flu" ( Mike lost his steering during the race ). I think I laughed more this weekend and had more fun in spite of the breakage than I've ever had at an SCCA race, Rhonda said we were looking like big kids at times. Man, you need to keep that T1 car and run with us for fun in between SSB races!!

We had planned for this to be the last race for our team before the Run-offs, but now we are looking things over again. I don't want to be out of the seat for that long, nor do I want to fall out of the points. Hope to possibly make the Pocono Double but I don't think the hot rod can do much there with the power she's making. We'll have to see how things pan out. I ain't giving this stuff up yet!!!

Joe Gaudette
Old 07-18-2007, 12:26 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe, that sucks man.

However, now you have me worried. Remember you were telling me about your steering getting hard in high-g corners? Well that was happening to me on/off at mid ohio. I think it was right hand turns. It would turn in fine, and then after the apex itd tighten up a whole lot.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Damn Joe. SOrry to hear about that
Old 07-18-2007, 07:36 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Joe,

Thanks for the nice comments.

Friends do those kind of things for friends, so its no big deal. Although the real credit goes to Matt & Matt. Carson put Humpty Dumpty back together again mostly on his own and Miller looked over at Junior's car and saw things were in good order and jumped into your issue without much proding from me. The Kryderacing gang is a good group of people; I am fortunate to be associated with them.

Wally: replace that rack. Don't pass go and don't collect $200.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:39 PM
ReddyZ06
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Joe,
Sorry to hear about the parts failure, I was looking forward to hearing good things about your racing. It sounds like there are a lot of great guys in T1 that are willing to help a fellow racer out and that's cool.
I appreciate all the help you gave me at the VIR HPDE event and I imagine that the people who helped you understand that you are a stand-up guy who would help them if you could.
Good luck with the rest of the season.
Mike
Old 07-18-2007, 01:08 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Sorry to hear of your WGI troubles, Joe ...
As for the help ... AIR ... you were elbow deep in the brakes on a student's car at VIR a couple week ago ... so you've been helped by the track "brotherhood" (Rhonda ...that includes the ladies BTW ... )
You T1 guys "help" us recreational trackers by breaking stuff and giving us a projection on what we will break next! aka wallyman ...
Hang in there ... I told my brother, who lives in Manhattan, KS that he has to get over to Topeka this fall for the Heartland experience ... so you gotta be there "up front"
Old 07-18-2007, 01:22 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If it were easy wouldn't everyone do it??? 1 out of 14 is damn good.

Randy
Old 07-18-2007, 02:45 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Hang in there bud... the mechanical gremlins seem to pop up all at once...then go away...and back again. There's just no telling in this game. You're still OK on points...just keep diggin'!!!!
Old 07-18-2007, 02:46 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Joe, I feel for you, buddy! It seems like something all the time.

My clutch went out at the NCM VIR event and after getting it fixed, I promptly found a tire wall the next weekend at M-O. Now all the parts are ordered to fix my car for VIR in 9 days.

If it wasn't so much fun, I'd quit this afternoon.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:44 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Joe - what goes around, comes around - you give far more than you get

Since I am swapping engines in the FRC I am considering a new rack if the wife is distracted long enough for me to order it....
Old 07-18-2007, 06:01 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by varkwso
Joe - what goes around, comes around - you give far more than you get

Since I am swapping engines in the FRC I am considering a new rack if the wife is distracted long enough for me to order it....
Uh, maybe it's just me, but if you consider a new rack for your wife, distracted or not, I think she'll notice it!!
Old 07-18-2007, 06:20 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Joe,
Great talking to you over the phone from the Glen. I look forward to meeting you and YES those Kryder folks,Dave P. and everyone around you is like one big family always willing to help out.

Aaron Quine
Kumho Tire (Motorsports)

P.S. Wally, replace that rack NOW! Sorry to say, It will go soon buddy!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:36 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

You're the man Joe, keep on plugging away!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:50 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Joe,

Sorry to hear about the steering rack; I saw the thread here and was pulling for you that you'd find one at one of the Corvette Salvage yards on Long Island.

Good luck at your next event. 1/14 doesn't sound bad to me; it could obviously have been a lot worse--you didn't scratch your baby, not 1 body panel.

Thanks again for your help @ VIR. I made a break-thru w/heel-toe downshifting the other day, it was all about achieving consistent foot position on the brake pedal each and every time.

Andy
Old 07-18-2007, 11:21 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wallyman424
Joe, that sucks man.

However, now you have me worried. Remember you were telling me about your steering getting hard in high-g corners? Well that was happening to me on/off at mid ohio. I think it was right hand turns. It would turn in fine, and then after the apex itd tighten up a whole lot.
Wally,

That is kind of what i felt, the main thing i was getting was some kickback through the wheel, almost like something was loose, but yet it had some "power" to it. It was weird. I've felt something similar to it when the track has ripples, that's why I didn't think anything of it. I'd pay really close attention to power steering pump noise and whether the rack is leaking by the steering boots. Give me a call on my cell phone tomorrow after 3, I'll be home from work by then!

Cya

Joe
Old 07-18-2007, 11:29 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Thanks everyone for all the support and kind words, it's really one of the many reasons Rhonda and I do this. 'Ole #86 is getting her arms back as we speak, we just gotta have a talk now about making sure I'm not a spectator anymore!

Joe
Old 07-19-2007, 11:15 PM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
'Ole #86 is getting her arms back as we speak, we just gotta have a talk now about making sure I'm not a spectator anymore!
I can picture you having that conversation Joe. It will be like Robert Duvall in "Days of Thunder" when he's standing there talking to the car about taking car of Cole and he sees the puddle under the car and says "this is not the kind of answer I'm looking for from you!"

Get notified of new replies

To Highs and lows at the Watkins Glen SCCA National.....

Quick Reply: Highs and lows at the Watkins Glen SCCA National.....