Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally......video clip of me @ VIR June 2007

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 11:20 PM
DoingOK
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
CI VIII Car Show Winner

Default Finally......video clip of me @ VIR June 2007

Finally got the video clips off my Sony camera and made a few clips. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the Hi-Def video downloaded. Oh well. This clip was the first lap of the third session. It takes me a good lap or so to get the Goodyear slicks heated up so I wasn't being very aggressive initially. The first lap is always a bit crowded until we get around the traffic. The Sti driver was pretty good so we tried to stage together whenever we could. The configuration we are running is called the Grand East course and is 4.2 miles around. I prefer the Full Course which we will be running on September 1st and 2nd. Kudos to Rick.......my instructor for the event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrQSgbxQMOs

The second clip is during the same session when I caught up to Brian (Cobra4B's) Dad driving his blue C5 Z06. We had a good time chasing each other around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gelMpAm0kxE

Enjoy.

Rich
Old 07-19-2007, 12:17 AM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That was a lot of fun watching both of those videos. I can't wait until the weather cools off here. Next HPDE event for me will be in October at WSIR and the first time in the vette

I just wish I could find a wheel/tire solution so I don't have to run on these Z51 tires.

Thanks for the FIX
Old 07-19-2007, 01:17 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pcervone
That was a lot of fun watching both of those videos. I can't wait until the weather cools off here. Next HPDE event for me will be in October at WSIR and the first time in the vette

I just wish I could find a wheel/tire solution so I don't have to run on these Z51 tires.

Thanks for the FIX

Just buy a set of plain wheels off the forum, cheap. Put Goodrich g-Force KDW's on them and enjoy yourself. We have run 4 sets off so far and another being delivered from Tire Rack tomorrow.

Tires will last a season easy and you can drive them on the street as well. Very good tire.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rbl
Just buy a set of plain wheels off the forum, cheap. Put Goodrich g-Force KDW's on them and enjoy yourself. We have run 4 sets off so far and another being delivered from Tire Rack tomorrow.

Tires will last a season easy and you can drive them on the street as well. Very good tire.
I did a ton of researching on this and it was my impression the 255/40-19 would be problematic and that was the only 19 available for the KDWs. I even tried to match a set of all 18's and couldn't get the correct combinations of tire sizes to keep the computer happy.

The thing I was never clear on is exactly whether I even need to worry about the whole tire sizing issue since I certainly don't intent to track the car in Active Handling or Traction Control modes. I suspect those are the on board systems that will get their panties in a bunch if the tire sizes aren't ratioed the same as the OEM sizes (245/20-18 to 285/35-19).

I ran Kumho Ecsta MX tires on my previous track car and found them to be fine. They make a 245/35-19. But, again, that's a significant difference from the OEM size.

I had already resolved myself to just run the p*ss out of the supercar tires and just have to replace them more often.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Sucks that my dad smoked you in his measly 405 hp
Old 07-19-2007, 03:57 PM
rbl
Drifting

I did a ton of researching on this and it was my impression the 255/40-19 would be problematic and that was the only 19 available for the KDWs. I even tried to match a set of all 18's and couldn't get the correct combinations of tire sizes to keep the computer happy.

I had already resolved myself to just run the p*ss out of the supercar tires and just have to replace them more often.
I've run them on (5) C6's (Z51 cars) ... zero issues so just do what you think is best. There have been many threads on this so you should have easily found it in your research. Actually, the run craps aren't too bad for a street tire.

I did a ton of researching on this and it was my impression the 255/40-19 would be problematic and that was the only 19 available for the KDWs.
You need to look for the correct tire size for the rear of the C6. It is a 285/35-19. UPS just dropped off two an hour ago from Tire-Rack (a day early!) BFGoodrich g-Force KDW2's. The KDW is obsolete and Tire-Rack calls the new tread a KDW2 but the all come up on an OEM size search.

Hooser now has the real-deal in the A^ tires that work well. Find them by proper diameter.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:03 PM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Easy boy! Did you notice how dear old dad smoked him out of Oak tree ... and that cost plenty. NO point on the back straight. Had a little faster line thru T-11/12. Got a lucky break too and snuck by one car. I think that's when I heard a "fu....." oh chit!
Old 07-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rbl
You need to look for the correct tire size for the rear of the C6. It is a 285/35-19. UPS just dropped off two an hour ago from Tire-Rack (a day early!) BFGoodrich g-Force KDW2's. The KDW is obsolete and Tire-Rack calls the new tread a KDW2 but the all come up on an OEM size search.
Well, see there. I took you too literally. I looked at the KDW and they didn't come in the correct size but checking the KDW 2, they in fact do. Sweet I was doing my searches based on tire brands rather than OEM size
Old 07-19-2007, 05:00 PM
rbl
Drifting

Well, see there. I took you too literally. I looked at the KDW and they didn't come in the correct size but checking the KDW 2, they in fact do. Sweet I was doing my searches based on tire brands rather than OEM size

I've had very good service from the tire and we get about 15 weekends on them before they get too greasy. I flip the fronts once. Lots of tread left but I toss them.

Start your Vette with that tire at 32 COLD. Cold means before you move the car or the sun hits it. The tire is very happy at 38 (max) HOT so just adjust accordingly.

Now go have fun ... you're obligated!
Old 07-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I was just joking w/ Rich.... a C5Z w/ an intake as it's only mod on Kumho Ecsta MXs is no match for a 490+ rwhp C6Z06 on Goodyear C5R race slicks... no matter how ****ty the C6 driver is
Old 07-19-2007, 05:05 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KDW and KDW 2 =

Ran the KDWs in my old C5 and LOVED them.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:20 PM
DoingOK
Drifting

Received 158 Likes on 84 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
CI VIII Car Show Winner

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
You must have missed the part at the end where he finally pointed me by after holding me up for two laps. joking.......actually I didn't mind and enjoyed following him.....makes for good video. We did run some pretty different lines though. I hope he makes it out there again in September.

Last edited by DoingOK; 07-19-2007 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:11 PM
FB#1
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Man... you really looked smooth in both videos, almost effortless. Great vids, thanks.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Rich - great videos. I recommend buying a wide angle lens for your video camera. It makes for a much better quality video play back experience - giving you visibility through the entire windshield. I use a Panasonic GS-150 video camera, so this is the accessory pack I purchased for an example: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VDR-.../dp/B000HRH25CMike

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 07-21-2007 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:22 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great video's, your getting me all hot and bothered for summit point next weekend
Old 07-22-2007, 10:23 PM
71corv
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Very good videos ,Rich. Your car really sounds good. Would like to ride in that bad boy one day.

Gene

Get notified of new replies

To Finally......video clip of me @ VIR June 2007

Quick Reply: Finally......video clip of me @ VIR June 2007