Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hamilton not injured in huge crash

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 10:55 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Hamilton not injured in huge crash

No serious injury to Lewis Hamilton

Lewis Hamilton has had a drip inserted and was wearing an oxygen mask as he was transferred to the medical centre at the Nurburgring on Saturday.

The championship leader's high speed crash during qualifying at the scene of the European grand prix, caused by a faulty wheel gun, has not caused him any serious injuries but he will be under observation for a couple of hours, reports from the venue in Germany suggest.

22-year-old Hamilton's McLaren speared into the barriers at nearly unabated speed, and he was clearly in some leg pain as he rested on the cockpit sides before medics arrived.

He was treated at the scene for some time before being stretched into an ambulance wearing a neck collar.

Such was the speed of the impact that it damaged the conveyor-belt layer on the tyre barrier and took more than 30 minutes to repair.

"We had a failure of the right-hand wheel-gun, so effectively the wheel wasn't properly put on," team boss Ron Dennis told ITV. "But that's not a mechanic's fault, we're not quite sure what has failed
Old 07-21-2007, 11:57 AM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good to hear he was not injured...I watched the qualifying this morning - it was a pretty bad crash. The curbing sent the car into the air missing the gravel traps and into the tires at ~130 (so they said on tv)
Old 07-21-2007, 12:26 PM
Cbntmn
Racer

Glad he is not injured. Would hate to see his season coming to end after all he has done.

Any word on if he will race tomorrow? I believe he would start 10th. Will be interesting to see him come through the pack as I think that is his worst starting position of the year.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Cbntmn
Racer

Lewis Hamilton must wait until another medical check on Sunday morning before discovering if he can race in the European Grand Prix.

McLaren, however, has given him the all-clear after a precautionary CT-scan check at the nearby military hospital in Koblenz.

Championship leader Hamilton returned to the Nurburgring from hospital on Saturday afternoon, and in a McLaren statement said he was 'absolutely fine' and wants to race despite the 250kph qualifying crash.

Ron Dennis told reporters that there is no medical reason that will keep him out of the car.

But FIA medical delegate Gary Hartstein will have the final say, when he examines the British rookie at 9.30 on Sunday morning.

"I'm feeling fine," Hamilton told reporters in the paddock. "I'm very fortunate, very lucky I haven't got any bruises – although I'm sure tomorrow I'll wake up with some!"

Thats from F1 News online. Looks like he races tomorrow unless something happens overnight.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:11 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Thanks for the update Cbntmn. I think we'll see some good racing tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:15 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

spoiler
Old 07-22-2007, 07:56 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

that was a hard hit, glad he's okay
Old 07-22-2007, 09:34 AM
JRD77VET
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Thanks for the update Cbntmn. I think we'll see some good racing tomorrow.
Originally Posted by John Shiels
spoiler
He is racing and as far as "spoiler", the race is LIVE right now ( speed channel)

Jeff
Old 07-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Cbntmn
Racer

Interesting to see Alonso and Massa (sp?) argue after the race a little. Wish I understood the language.

What does Ferrari think? That Benz would not try and pass for the lead in the final laps?? That pass was very well done and in trying to block Ferrari could have taken them both out. Plus the fact that Benz was 8 SECONDS faster over the last few laps. Might be a little different if Massa could have tried to charge back, but they had nothing.

I really dont like one driver over another. The quest of Hamilton has been very fun to watch and has raised my interest in F1. It was just really nice to see a close race at the end instead of a 30 second lead.

It will be an interesting finish to the season. i think there are 7 races left and only 2 points between the two McClarens.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:08 PM
turbo50mike
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep. He hit HARD. Here's a clip of it....

http://dailycarvideos.com/2007/07/21...ckenheim-2007/

And the Kubica crash...

http://dailycarvideos.com/2007/06/10...-kubica-crash/

Last edited by turbo50mike; 07-22-2007 at 01:10 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Hamilton not injured in huge crash

Quick Reply: Hamilton not injured in huge crash