Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HighRock Race track Update - Zoning Meeting Aug 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:08 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Default HighRock Race track Update - Zoning Meeting Aug 2

ZBA HEARING SCHEDULED FOR HIGH ROCK RACEWAY!

We need you at the Hearing on August 2nd

We are happy to report that our Town of Spencer, North Carolina, Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA) hearing has been scheduled for Thursday evening, August 2nd, at 7:00 p.m. at the Town of Spencer Municipal Building Board Room (see below for address). This hearing is for the ZBA to hear and vote upon High Rock Raceway’s request for a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) to operate a Country Club Racetrack at its 200 acre property located at 2555 Highway 29 North in the Town of Spencer.

We would like to invite all of our supporters to attend this meeting and demonstrate to the Town of Spencer and the ZBA their overwhelming enthusiasm for High Rock Raceway. Your attendance at this meeting is important because we do anticipate opposition from Ann Brownlee and the Trading Ford Historic District Preservation Association and their lawyer, Darrell Fruth of the Greensboro, North Carolina law firm of Brooks, Pierce, McLendon, Humphrey & Leonard, LLP.

The Track is not on a Civil War Battlefield

Ms. Brownlee and her lawyer have made objections at prior ZBA hearings pertaining to High Rock regarding the details of our CUP application, such as the proper labeling of buildings on the site plan. They have focused on the details of the application in the hopes of stalling our efforts and deflating our will to move ahead with our project. With the help of our lawyers and site engineers, we have submitted an extremely well-detailed and complete CUP application. Once our application is found to be sufficient, Ms. Brownlee and her lawyer will be left to make their arguments regarding the issues at hand.

Ms. Brownlee claims that the proposed location of our racetrack is the heart of a Civil War battlefield. This is patently false and as Ms. Brownlee knows, and as we have confirmed with well-recognized experts in the field, the Civil War skirmish to which she refers took place on the railroad trestles near (but not on) our property. Ms. Brownlee is infamous for delaying projects in the Trading Ford area, including the planned construction of a new Interstate 85 bridge that was to cross the Yadkin River between Rowan and Davidson Counties and would have replaced the existing bridge – which was built in 1955 and is now considered functionally obsolete. Because the bridge has not been replaced, Interstate 85 now dangerously funnels into two lanes on each side of its Yadkin River crossing, causing numerous traffic accidents. What was initially a $175 million budget to build a new Yadkin River bridge is now estimated at $350 million.

Who is Stephen Horton and why is he helping Ann Brownlee?

Ms. Brownlee does not own land adjacent to High Rock Raceway and she is not a resident of the Town of Spencer. She has however demonstrated that she will go to any extreme to delay or stop projects in or around the Trading Ford area. She has in the past admitted that she receives little in donations to fund her cause, yet somehow she has retained Mr. Fruth, who has stated publicly that he is being paid for his work on this matter. We understand that a Mr. Stephen Horton of the Richmond, Virginia office of McGuire Woods Consulting originally hired Mr. Fruth on behalf of Ms. Brownlee. Mr. Horton is a lobbyist with McGuire Woods and works on behalf of conservative causes in Virginia.

Mr. Horton, who to our knowledge has never demonstrated any interest or concern whatsoever for historical causes in North Carolina, has stated that he is working pro-bono on behalf of Ms. Brownlee. Mr. Horton, who was Chief of Staff for the Virginia Governor, Republican Jim Gilmore (served from 1998 to 2002), worked within the Governor’s administration with Joshua Lief, who served as Secretary of Commerce for Governor Gilmore and is now General Manager of Virginia International Raceway – High Rock’s nearest potential competing venue to the North.

We will continue to move ahead!

Despite any obstacles to our progress that Ms. Brownlee, Mr. Fruth or Mr. Horton may attempt to throw in our way, we will move ahead with determination. We have in the past received the full support of the Aldermen and the ZBA of the Town of Spencer. Over 1,300 individuals have signed the Support the High Rock Raceway petition (see below for site address) and thousands visit our website (www.racehighrock.com) each month. High Rock Raceway represents the redevelopment of an abandoned textile mill and new growth in an area that has been long-neglected and is dire need of economic stimulus. High Rock will help spark growth in the surrounding area, will represent a significant increase in the tax base for the Town of Spencer and will bring racing enthusiasts from throughout the United States and abroad to the Town of Spencer.

WE THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUING SUPPORT!

PLEASE ATTEND THE ZBA HEARING ON AUGUST 2ND AT 7:00 P.M. AND, IF POSSIBLE, ARRIVE AS EARLY AS 6:30 P.M. TO SHOW YOUR SUPPORT AS THE ZBA MEMBERS ARRIVE. FEEL FREE TO BRING PLACARDS DECLARING YOUR SUPPORT FOR HIGH ROCK RACEWAY!

THANK YOU!

Dave Risdon
majority owner and developer
High Rock Raceway

The Town of Spencer Municipal Building (Town Hall) is located at 600 South Salisbury Avenue (Highway 29) at the corner of Sixth Street in the heart of Spencer, North Carolina (phone 704-633-2231).

Go to http://www.petitiononline.com/hrir to view and/or sign the High Rock Raceway petition
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 07-23-2007, 07:11 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just signed the petition along with 1358 other people.

Who's driving down to Salsbury Thursday evening?
Old 07-24-2007, 08:13 AM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

Sorry I can't make the meeting, but I signed the petition and forwarded this post with the links to every autocrosser/racer I could think of...

Hope it all works out
Old 07-24-2007, 10:40 AM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who's driving down to Salsbury Thursday evening?[/QUOTE]

Mark-
I forwarded Stacy's email to everybody in this area with an invitation to ride with me. I will be there and may have a few more guys with me. I haven't carried placards since the 60's, this will bring back old memories.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:21 AM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Mark-
I forwarded Stacy's email to everybody in this area with an invitation to ride with me. I will be there and may have a few more guys with me. I haven't carried placards since the 60's, this will bring back old memories.[/QUOTE]

Wally, how many people can you cram into ButtUgly? Just curious, not that I want to....
Old 07-24-2007, 02:45 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

I've dealt with Historic issues in NC, and all I can say is good luck. If the zoning board is sympathetic to Ms Brownees' cause, then all the petitions in the world won't help.

It's a shame too, as Spencer is nothing but a dried up crossroads with an interstate going through it, and have the track nearby can only help the local economy. Plus, it's only 25 interstate miles from my new house (building soon).
Old 07-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 94ZR1#444
can you cram into ButtUgly?
Oh Man! When I see the verb "cram" in the same sentence as "Butt Ugly," I get real scared. :o
Old 07-24-2007, 04:52 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 94ZR1#444
Mark-
I forwarded Stacy's email to everybody in this area with an invitation to ride with me. I will be there and may have a few more guys with me. I haven't carried placards since the 60's, this will bring back old memories.
Wally, how many people can you cram into ButtUgly? Just curious, not that I want to.... [/QUOTE]

Snce I am having flashbacks to the 60's anyway, maybe I will bring my wife's 70VW. Just like the old days, we will see how many people we can cram into it. Only difference is now we need to save room for our walkers. :o
Old 07-25-2007, 11:39 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by Falcon
Oh Man! When I see the verb "cram" in the same sentence as "Butt Ugly," I get real scared. :o
Thats because you were in the Navy...
Old 08-02-2007, 12:29 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

This thing is happening tonight. Anybody going?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:51 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR
This thing is happening tonight. Anybody going?
I'm in Fresno for 10 days.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanmer
Thats because you were in the Navy...

Old 08-02-2007, 02:15 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

give em' an AMEN and HALLELUIA for me and cross your fingers!

Anybody else hear that CMP is getting scared and going to redesign half of the track???? I hope that isn't a secret...
Old 08-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
give em' an AMEN and HALLELUIA for me and cross your fingers!

Anybody else hear that CMP is getting scared and going to redesign half of the track???? I hope that isn't a secret...
I don't know that CMP is "scared" after all they have done a pretty steady business for nearly 10 years but I heard it from one of the owners that a redesign is coming. It would basically eliminate the "kink" and turn 11 but it is several years away.
Personally I would be "scared" to invest in another track in the southeast.
Anthony
Old 08-02-2007, 08:22 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

that was a joke...appearantly a bad one. Anyway, if the track was layed out properly it would do much more than "steady" business. My point was simply that the threat of another nearby track might have encouraged the owners to finally do what WE have been asking them to do for most of the years it has been opening.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Carolina C4 Racer
Pro

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
that was a joke...appearantly a bad one. Anyway, if the track was layed out properly it would do much more than "steady" business. My point was simply that the threat of another nearby track might have encouraged the owners to finally do what WE have been asking them to do for most of the years it has been opening.
No problem. I definately was not offended.
I actually like CMP as it is for a TT but even a (2) lap TT is hard on a car & a (20) min. session w/ a 3000+ lb car is brutal. I guess I like it because I'm am autocrosser & it flows like an autocross after the kink.
However making turn 8 into a fast sweeper that leads you to what is now turn 12 or 13 sounds like a blast.

A.M.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:09 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

See, I think the turns one-two are also bad, especially for wheel-to-wheel racing. You also have a useless pit-out when there are cars hot on track. Anyway, I vote for wiping out 11-2 and keep what's left. Living just over an hour away, there are at least a dozen events (with groups I normally run with) that I skip at CMP simply because I don't enjoy it....THSCC is there today, and I'm not (going to VIR instead with Car Guys)

Anyway back on topic. HOW DID THE MEETING GO? Did you big meany racers bring the BE-ACH to tears?????

You know, Philip Morris is closing down in concord....maybe we can get that land an build a track too. Oh, but tobacco is "historic" too.

Oh, and the old Pillowtex plant in Kannapolis, VERY VERY historic....but they're building a reasearch park there. I wonder why the history buffs didn't try and save Kannapolis from the evil EDUCATORS???!!!

In all sincerity, the Spencer layout (by EFR) looks great, and I'd certainly support it. With Roebling, Rd Atlanta, VIR, and SPENCER, we'd have our own version of the Burmuda Triangle for racers (yes triangle, because Spencer is almost in a straight line between Atlanta and Danville). They could name it after me.

Get notified of new replies

To HighRock Race track Update - Zoning Meeting Aug 2

Old 08-03-2007, 08:53 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Did anybody make the meeting?
Old 08-04-2007, 07:47 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Salisbury Post article:
http://www.salisburypost.com/area/321570068113569.php

No quick end to racetrack debate foreseen

By Steve Huffman

Salisbury Post

SPENCER — Members of the town's Zoning Board of Adjustment will meet next Thursday to continue deliberating the fate of the proposed High Rock Raceway.

Group members decided in Friday's wee hours to meet again at 6 p.m. Thursday to continue discussion.

At stake are requests by the property's owner, Dave Risdon, for a conditional use permit and two variances that are needed for plans for the track to proceed.

This past Thursday's meeting was a marathon, including debate from attorneys representing both sides as well as a lengthy public hearing.

When the public hearing finally ended at midnight, members of the Zoning Board were clearly drained.

"I'm not getting paid for this and I've got to be up in four hours," said Sharon Hovis, one of the board's members.

Board Chairman Jeff Morris, an attorney, said he had legal proceedings beginning at 8 a.m. the following morning.

"I've got incompetency hearings and not for myself, not yet," Morris said, chuckling as he spoke.

Still, board members conceded that there's no indication that a quick end to the matter is at hand. They voted to meet from 6 to 10 p.m. Thursday. If they hadn't decided on the matter by then, they start again at 6 p.m. Friday.

The matters being considered are a conditional use permit to build a racetrack in an area zoned industrial and variances allowing a reduction in buffer requirements and reduction of a front setback requirement.

It's legalese at its finest and attorneys representing both sides had a field day Thursday.

The track is to be built near U.S. 29's intersection with the Yadkin River. It would include a 2.25-mile road course, retail shops and condominiums.

Risdon said the track would attract spectators and racers from across the Southeast and beyond and prove a shot in the arm for Spencer's economy.

"We'll be opening land to bring visitors from across the United States and abroad to Spencer," Risdon said.

He turned to thank the large contingent of spectators who overflowed the meeting room of Spencer's Town Hall. Many of those spectators wore T-shirts reading: "I support High Rock Speedway."

"We've already started to give a boost to the economy of Spencer," Risdon said, motioning toward the crowd.

Included in the items he submitted to support the track was a letter of backing from Kyle Petty, NASCAR driver and son of racing legend Richard Petty.

But Risdon sparred on several occasions with Darrell Fruth, the attorney representing the Trading Ford Historic District Preservation Association, the group that's opposed to the track's construction.

At one point, of Fruth, Risdon said, "He has no arguments of substance. He's left to search for technical faults."

At another point, Fruth and Risdon debated environmental contaminants — benzene, mercury and arsenic — found on the site of the proposed track.

Risdon attempted several times to say that it was the plan of the track owners to remove the chemicals.

But Fruth interrupted and asked only if there were chemicals on the property. "It's a yes or no question," Fruth said.

"I'm not going to answer any questions unless I get to answer the question," Risdon shot back.

Fruth argued that much of what Risdon and his attorney, Bob McIntosh, asked board members to believe was based solely on their word. Fruth noted that the track's owners had conducted no commercial or archaeological studies of the property. They'd done no surveys, he said, to determine how traffic from a racetrack might affect the community.

On a number of occasions, the debate proved tedious.

"I would sort of ask you to move things along," Board Chairman Morris interjected at one point.

Following a break, the debate continued. Fruth noted, "We're not talking about minor technical problems. We're talking about major problems."

Fruth said track owners offered no information on seating or spectator capacity.

"They can't point to evidence," he said. "They just want you to take their word for it."

Anne Brownlee, president of the Trading Ford Historic District Preservation Association, said there was evidence that Native Americans had a camp at the site as much as 10,000 years ago. She said there may have been a Spanish fort on the property in the 16th century and noted that it was the site of one of the last Confederate victories in the Civil War.

Earlier, Risdon had argued that the Civil War confrontation that took place at the site wasn't a battle, but a "skirmish." He said all the fighting took place on the railroad tracks, not on the land where the track will be built.

When Brownlee stepped to the lectern, she turned and lectured Risdon.

She said the Battle of York Hill involved 2,400 troops and lasted more than five hours, with the two sides shelling one another with cannonballs.

"And it all took place on the railroad bridge?" Brownlee asked, snickering.

She said the plan for the site would destroy the historic nature of the land. "You can't come back 20 years from now and say, 'Gosh, I wish we hadn't done that,' " Brownlee said.

But Morris questioned if Brownlee or her organization had any right to designate themselves protectors of the property, noting that she didn't own the land or that around it.

Morris also noted that its industrial designation allowed many different uses for the land, most of which wouldn't have required Risdon to come before the Board seeing a conditional use permit.

Morris asked Brownlee why she didn't protest more than a year ago when the site was designated industrial.

Morris noted that a paint factory could have been built on the property and no one could have stopped the construction as the land is currently designated. "Would that have ruined the property?" Morris asked of a paint factory.

Board member Toby Perdue thumbed through some of the massive amounts of information that Brownlee and Fruth provided, coming to one page that included an out-of-state newspaper article stating that racetracks bring in huge amounts of money through tourism.

Perdue noted that the information that Brownlee was presenting seemed to support the argument that Risdon was making that the track would help the area's economy.

"You didn't read it before you submitted it, did you?" Morris asked of Fruth, prompting a round of laughter from the pro-race audience.

Another board member asked Brownlee and Fruth the names of property owners near the track site who supported their arguments. No names were given and the debate continued.

"Could we decide that economic development is more in danger in this county than historic preservation?" Morris asked.

During a public hearing that followed, those speaking in favor of the track outnumbered those who opposed it.

Duke Brown, a Salisbury resident and Spencer business owner, said of the track, "I think we have a great and unique opportunity that most towns will never experience."

Randy Reamer, a Salisbury attorney who specializes in real estate law, said he thought the track would boost the value of property in Spencer, especially that near the track.

"These properties have been absolutely dead for the last 30 years," Reamer said. "Any activity will help property values."

Mike Havlick, a Lincolnton resident and member of the Sports Car Club of America, supported the track. He said members of his club are "mature, reasoned people" and "it'd be an asset to have (them) in your community."

Charlotte's Dick McCollister, another member of the Sports Car Club of America, said, "We'd very much like to have another road course."

Jim Pantas is a Mount Pleasant resident and member of the National Auto Sports Car Club of America, a group that includes 35,000 members. He said the track's construction would surely help Rowan County's economy.

"We rent facilities like this for a weekend," Pantas said.

Rodney Whedbee, a Salisbury resident and former professional race car driver who owns some of the land at the site admitted that he's got a vested interest in the track's construction. His property will likely increase in value if its built, he said.

But Whedbee also noted that the land isn't zoned historic and questioned how those opposed to the facility can argue that its construction will ruin the historic value of the property.

"I don't see how you can make us uphold historic status when we're not zoned historic," Whedbee said.

Only three people spoke against the track's construction. One was Scott Meyers, a Greensboro attorney who represents Norfolk & Southern. Railroad tracks run through the property and Meyers said Norfolk & Southern was only given plans for the facility early Thursday. He said company officials hadn't had the opportunity to review the plans.

"It's hard for the railroad to evaluate all the issues that might be involved here," Meyers said. "I'm here tonight to object to the plans and variances."

Deborah Rookard, a Salisbury resident, also spoke against the proposed track. She said she spoke as advocate for the environment, especially the Yadkin River.

"We need assurances that the water and land are going to be treated in the best way possible," she said.

Frances Driscoll, a Spencer resident, also spoke against the track. She said she was a history teacher.

"This is a significant area, history-wise," Driscoll said. "I hope you're not doing anything you'll regret later."

Contact Steve Huffman at 704-797-4222 or shuffman@salisburypost.com.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:17 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Thanks to all those who wrote in their feelings to the Spencer town board or signed the petition. Your voice has been heard.... Laughing Very Happy Laughing

CONDITIONAL USE PERMIT APPROVED

August 9, 2007 - Spencer, NC - Tonight with a 5 member vote, the Town of Spencer Zoning Board Authority approved the High Rock Raceway conditional use permit. This clears the way for High Rock Raceway to start immediate construction of the race facility and proceed towards the Feb 2008 opening of the first dedicated road course in the State of North Carolina.

A complete press release will be issued by High Rock Raceway, so make sure you check back to read about what is next for High Rock Raceway.

We would also like to express our sincere and deepest appreciation to all of our thousands of supporters and we also like to thank all our corporate partners, for which this would not be all possible.

THANK YOU! ---- Now, let's go racing!

Quick Reply: HighRock Race track Update - Zoning Meeting Aug 2