Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nelson Ledges SCCA T1 race (7/29)

Old 07-29-2007, 03:40 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Nelson Ledges SCCA T1 race (7/29)

Race results for T1:

1. Aaron Quine Corvette C5 1:10.685

2. David Pintaric Viper 1:10.955

3. John Buttermore Corvette C5 1:09.924 (new track record)

4. Ron Hutter Corvette C5 DNS

My T1 story:

I want to be the first person to congratulate Aaron on his first SCCA National victory. Not bad coming in his first SCCA National race. What is more impressive is this car's motor is dog tired, as this is Dave Roush's old #13 car from 2005. Way to go, Aaron!

I wrecked in the first qualifying session at Lime Rock Park Friday morning. Rear suspension upright, two a-arms, toe link and a CV shaft were damaged. I did not have all the spares on me, so my weekend at LRP was toast. With the help of friends and family I was able to locate the replacements which were overnighted to my home in Ohio. The fabulous Kryderacing crew, this time consisting mainly (90%) of Matt Carson, put Humpty Dumpty back together again in time for the second qualifying session on Saturday.

I putted around the track with old tires (The Glen race and LRP qualifying), 3/4 tank of full, and no ABS. My times put me fourth on the grid in front of all the AS and T2 cars but behind every other T1 car. No problem, I am thinking.

Well, young John Buttermore did have problems. His fairly new LS2 motor grenaded during the second session ending his weekend. He needed to get a start and a finish to get into the Run Offs, and with precious few races left this weekend was crucial. So we all put our heads together and found a "donor" car for Junior to drive" Ron Hutter's. Ron was gracious enough to loan/rent the car, and what a car it was! Junior drove it from the back of the pack and caught Aaron and me and set a new track record (previously owned by Freddy Baker hisself) in the process.

Aaron and I had a great race, I tried several times to get by him but was unable. Nelson Ledges is a narrow track, and there have been times when this fact has benefited me. This time the sword sliced back, such is life. He drove well and kept his cool with the big bad red Viper in his mirror the entire race. Way to go, Aaron.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:39 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the time of my life guys and thanks to you David, I have no upper body strength left from trying to keep you hungry wolves behind me.

David is a true gentleman and raced me clean and VERY,VERY CLOSE flag to flag. Before the race, David told me to keep my head down and focus forward, but how in the hell am I supposed to do that when you have this intimidating red humpy dumpty Viper (As he calls it) on your rear bumper for 23 laps straight? HOLY CRAP BATMAN!

Hopefully David will put the video from his car here so you all can see just how close this race was. Now I need to keep working on that motor fund cause I can't believe this motor is still going after Jeff and Roush had it.

John, It was nice to finally meet you and congrats on the NEW track record. Sorry about the motor though buddy. That kryder group/Pintaric & Everybody is so helpfull and fun to be around. Glad you got a ride to race in so you could get qualified for Topeka. Good luck on your journey and I will be watching you at the Run-Offs.

I also want to thank Jeff Robins at RSIG Security again for giving me a great car and making my dreams come true to race wheel to wheel in SCCA. You da ma bro!

I am going to FRAME my results now since this is a rare one. I even have Davids autograph on it so that should be worth some $ some day!

Thanks to all my other sponsors below too, I could not do it with out you!

Aaron Quine
2003 #21 Z06 T1 Corvette
SPONSORS:
Kumho Tire,RSIG Security,Fallsway Equipment,Rapid 2 Way Radio's
Old 07-29-2007, 09:56 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job guys and big congrats Aaron
Old 07-29-2007, 11:40 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rasrboy
Hopefully David will put the video from his car here so you all can see just how close this race was.
Here you go, enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...EC94E4889267A5
Old 07-30-2007, 07:27 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Nice vids; we went there yesterday for the first time, only saw the afternoon session, unfortunately.

Question for a noob: What classes are most of the 'recognizable' cars (like the vipers, mustangs, corvettes, etc.) running in? I saw a vette/viper or two from the GT1 class but what class are some of the less 'dedicated' V8 cars running in?

The FedEx guy who delivers to our house (name is Art, I believe) owns a c6 that he runs at these things and he has been telling us to get on out there to watch these SCCA races. Never thought to ask what class he runs in (don't know if he is an owner/driver or just an owner)

Looking forward to heading back out to Nelson Ledges for the October events. Cool stuff.

Oh yeah, do they run these events rain or shine?

thanks for any info.

Would be nice if they fixed up that bridge going over the track though, bottomed out on that thing going over it.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 07-30-2007 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:53 AM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Way to go Aaron!

Congratulations from all of us down here in Jacksonville in the North Florida Corvette Assn.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:15 AM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Way to go Aaron!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Congratualtions, Aaron! Well done!

I read about it on another board yesterday and am glad it was posted here!

Old 07-30-2007, 10:32 AM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

way to go aaron!!! let's see, i finished second to you at convention .so i can use logic to say i coulda' kept up at nelson?? haha
Johnny
Old 07-30-2007, 12:12 PM
BFoster
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 49 Posts

Congrats to all parties involved, and for a new track record being set!

Out of curiousity, is the Viper a lot more restricted than it seems in T1? If Aaron's motor is tired, how is the Viper not blowing by on the straights?

I guess I haven't read through the rule books for T1, I'm assuming there is a throttle body restriction for the Viper? I thought I remembered seeing a video from runoffs last year where the Vipers were able to gain an advantage on the straights, but lost momentum in the corners.

Any information would be appreciated, again not taking away from a fellow NCCC racer in Aaron, just wondering what a fresh LS6 could do?
Old 07-30-2007, 05:57 PM
toolman44092
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-30-2007, 10:47 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Here are a few pictures for your viewing pleasure. Pay no attention to those DONUTS on the side. That was interesting if you watched the video from laps 16-18.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:12 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Nice donuts, I was actually expecting to see a bit more damage.
What does David charge to be your personal photographer? If I had the honor of running with him I'm afraid I would get only a fleeting shot as he blew by me.
Congrats Again Aaron, it's got to feel great to have some support mechanisms in place
David
Old 07-30-2007, 11:15 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

"Donuts?" Did someone bring racing food?

My wife makes fun of us, as someone always brings donuts to the race track. My motto is "little chocalate donuts: breakfast of champions!"

Of course I wanted to try out for the United States Olympic Javelin Catch Team as well...
Old 07-30-2007, 11:44 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

karrie added two fundays aug3 &4 if youd like to try this track ill be there the on fri for sure mabee thusday
Old 07-30-2007, 11:58 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
"Donuts?" Did someone bring racing food?

My wife makes fun of us, as someone always brings donuts to the race track. My motto is "little chocalate donuts: breakfast of champions!"

Of course I wanted to try out for the United States Olympic Javelin Catch Team as well...
You are too much David! I filled up on one BIG donut Sunday.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:49 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by racerwannabe
way to go aaron!!! let's see, i finished second to you at convention .so i can use logic to say i coulda' kept up at nelson?? haha
Johnny
You know it Johnny!

Get notified of new replies

To Nelson Ledges SCCA T1 race (7/29)

Old 07-31-2007, 01:20 PM
Caterpillar
Instructor

Congratulations Aaron!!!!

Your dad brought me a copy of the race results... that is AWESOME!

Let me know when your ready to make some decal changes, I told your dad to have Craig from Graphic design something that you'd like and we'll take care of the rest.

Great job man!
Old 07-31-2007, 02:37 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Caterpillar
Congratulations Aaron!!!!

Your dad brought me a copy of the race results... that is AWESOME!

Let me know when your ready to make some decal changes, I told your dad to have Craig from Graphic design something that you'd like and we'll take care of the rest.

Great job man!
Thanks Greg! I think we can work out a cool new logo!
Old 07-31-2007, 06:43 PM
toolman44092
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rasrboy
That was interesting if you watched the video from laps 16-18.
Rubbin's racin'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nelson Ledges SCCA T1 race (7/29)