Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone else have the "dual use" dilemma? The force is strong w/ the waxers!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:54 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Default Anyone else have the "dual use" dilemma? The force is strong w/ the waxers!

I find that everytime I'm away from the track I start growing soft... I put my stock seat back in, I start wanting my paint to match and be fresh w/o chips. I truly enjoy cruising with my friends and looking at a clean car etc.

However, I go to the track and want to rip the interior out, ditch the AC, and make it a track monster.

I want to have my cake and eat it too... I'm crazy Anyone else have this problem?

I know I need 2 cars... but that won't happen for some time.

BTW my car is having poly pushings from VB&P, new rear hubs, and ARP hardened wheel studs installed right now. One more step away from cream puff.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:09 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

This sounds pretty normal to me

I still like cruising also, but I live for the track time. Installed one of those clear bra nd it seems to keep the front looking good.
Tim
Old 07-31-2007, 05:12 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I should be more concerned with a clean car, but I'm not. I fugure what doesn't blow off at 170 will wash off in the rain. And the really good dirt will wash away when the snow melts off it.

Its a race car, not a show car. Hell I still have the cracked fender from 05s OLoA.

I dont want it sitting still long enough to look at. Like any loud and fast girl from kentucky, she's made to get a little dirty and be driven hard.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Red Gump
Race Director

meh, most I do is give a good wax prior to an event and wash her down after. battle scars let the ricers know I mean business.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:25 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wrap the car in contact paper SO much it looks ridiculous at the track...at the end of the day, I take it off and have a brand new car underneath (literally). It is a bit of PITA to wrap the car every time and scrub off the residue, but for the 6-8 track event a year, and the cost of my C6Z06, it is well worth it.

I didn't care as much with my C5, but I am **** with the new Z.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:03 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I have two Z06s and both of them get thrashed at the track just like they should.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:11 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Relax man. Have a beer.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:35 PM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had let the brake dust and tire rubber sit on my car so long that I had to use a clay bar to clean it. I am think about using that clear carpet tape I see others using.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:41 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that same problem. Not any more. See sig.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:26 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Personally I would rather wheel to wheel race in a Geo, then drive a Vette on the street. Well I am a couple steps up from a Geo, but still not racing a Vette The only reason why is because of time and money

Randy
Old 07-31-2007, 11:35 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Personally I would rather wheel to wheel race in a Geo, then drive a Vette on the street. Well I am a couple steps up from a Geo, but still not racing a Vette The only reason why is because of time and money

Randy
If I had the $$ I'd make the time

I've found a good balance between keeping it out of the pea gravel and pushing it pretty hard. I know cutting a second off my lap time would be great but filling my under carriage with pea gravel would be a real bummer (been there done that).

I have a vase, in my office, filled with pea gravel from T7 @ RA to remind me.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:56 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
If I had the $$ I'd make the time

I've found a good balance between keeping it out of the pea gravel and pushing it pretty hard. I know cutting a second off my lap time would be great but filling my under carriage with pea gravel would be a real bummer (been there done that).

I have a vase, in my office, filled with pea gravel from T7 @ RA to remind me.
If I had more time, I would make more money

I put my 100cc kart off into about a foot of mud at 50 mph

My 28th birthday is on Friday and I have a throttle modulation problem still when speed limits are posted. I learned at 17 after my 2nd reckless ticket, that I need to drive the slowest cars on the road. The last 10 years I have only had one or two speeding tickets, knock on wood. My daily driver has 110 horsepower attached to a 4 speed crappy auto

Randy
Old 08-01-2007, 12:09 AM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

i have two cars i run them both i cant figure out the cruisin thing, its not me.. but if you were counting looks put numbers on it and put it on atrailer.. at least you do drive it .. im over showin off to folks i dont know.. besides when you know them (like at the track) you can rub it in more
Old 08-01-2007, 12:11 AM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
If I had more time, I would make more money

I put my 100cc kart off into about a foot of mud at 50 mph

My 28th birthday is on Friday and I have a throttle modulation problem still when speed limits are posted. I learned at 17 after my 2nd reckless ticket, that I need to drive the slowest cars on the road. The last 10 years I have only had one or two speeding tickets, knock on wood. My daily driver has 110 horsepower attached to a 4 speed crappy auto

Randy
Randy...that's what DE's are for Congrats on the 28th...oh what it was like to be 28...I was auto x'g a 914 in 1986
Old 08-01-2007, 02:43 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I find that everytime I'm away from the track I start growing soft... I put my stock seat back in, I start wanting my paint to match and be fresh w/o chips. I truly enjoy cruising with my friends and looking at a clean car etc.

However, I go to the track and want to rip the interior out, ditch the AC, and make it a track monster.

I want to have my cake and eat it too... I'm crazy Anyone else have this problem?

I know I need 2 cars... but that won't happen for some time.

BTW my car is having poly pushings from VB&P, new rear hubs, and ARP hardened wheel studs installed right now. One more step away from cream puff.

Sounds like you just enjoy working on the car Brian. If you're tracking, you can always find some race upgrade to do. If not, you might as well have it look clean since most of our cars are too fast for the street anyway. I've been there.

I'm doing a ton of home renovation right now so i seem to only find time for the track work. I still wash it, but i REALLY need to get these marble scars off if i expect it to look decent.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:35 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by TmillerC5
This sounds pretty normal to me

I still like cruising also, but I live for the track time. Installed one of those clear bra nd it seems to keep the front looking good.
Tim
I have given up.
Car pretty much is now a track car although I do still take it out on occassion.
Only have to take the Hoosiers off.

Sparco seat has not been taken out since I put it in.
T-1 bar on front gives a bit rougher ride but who cares.

I do still keep it very clean though and very well maintained.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:39 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I understand how you feel Brian,
Im always so excited before a track event, then when I get home and have to clean the car I always feel so guilty. Friday while at summit point my car looked like a homeless person owned it

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone else have the "dual use" dilemma? The force is strong w/ the waxers!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:05 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

John Shiels knows that when I bought my C6Z I said that it would be my waxer. Well, it has been a development track mule as much as a street car, but I have to admit that I had it detailed including the clay bar thing 2 weeks ago. Now, 16,0000 miles later it has Penske coil-overs, 2 sets of CCW Corsairs with brand new Hoosier R6's , complete brake system upgrade (you all know how much respect I have for the PBR “brakes”), Hardbar everything (I get a good discount ). It is wicked quick and a blast to drive but to only drive it on the street is like having a Greyhound kept in a small apartment, not to mention jail in all 50 states if you even drive it 5/10ths. Then to add to "the dilemma" I have NHIS about 35 minutes away and I get as much free track time as I want there, so what’s a guy to do?
Old 08-01-2007, 08:55 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

I can one-up all of you! Take all the sentiments expressed above and then add to it: I have a C4 and want a C5, or even better a C6Z51 with paddle shifter! Even though that probably won't happen without the help of Powerball.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:01 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Gary... I don't think I'd be able to keep a GF or a Job w/ a track 30 min away with free track time

So clue me in on this Hardbar discount... how'd you come about that?

Quick Reply: Anyone else have the "dual use" dilemma? The force is strong w/ the waxers!