Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering binding

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Salem_Vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steering binding

I was at RCC's HPDE Trackday at PIR monday 7-30-07
I was in the HP class everything was go fine untill about 15 min. into the session . After hard braking for turn 1 (about 130-50mph)
steering slighty binds for Rt turn, (have to yank a little +). It is OK till braking for turn 1 agin.
I seams to do it every session after hard braking (about 130-50mph)only, after a Yank every this OK agin.
Car is a 99 FRC about 12 track days (4 days with Kumo 710's)
Carbtec.X12 for frt. brakes and NAPA rotors with cooling (DRMS and spindle ducts)

Could it be rack binding from heat ?
Could it be worn wheel bearings ?
Has stock power steering cooler.
Any ideas?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Jerry's 72 and 02
7th Gear

I have had the same problem during track days with my 02 Z. It tends to happen when it's hot (ambient temps 90+ degrees). I run 305 slicks up front, and this causes additional loads on the steering system. My thinking is that it's the power steering unit being over come by high loads (combined heat on the pump unit making less effective, and cornering loads). I've not had anyother symptoms or problems once the car cools and/or I'm driving on the street.
Your thought that it could be wheel bearings is possible. In my case I've replaced the front bearings within the last few months. There are no other symptoms that the bearing are problematic. No play in the units, or noise under other loads.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Salem_Vette
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jerry's 72 and 02
I have had the same problem during track days with my 02 Z. It tends to happen when it's hot (ambient temps 90+ degrees). I run 305 slicks up front, and this causes additional loads on the steering system. My thinking is that it's the power steering unit being over come by high loads (combined heat on the pump unit making less effective, and cornering loads). I've not had anyother symptoms or problems once the car cools and/or I'm driving on the street.
Your thought that it could be wheel bearings is possible. In my case I've replaced the front bearings within the last few months. There are no other symptoms that the bearing are problematic. No play in the units, or noise under other loads.
Sound like the same Problem I run 275,s with 2,5 neg.camber
(I need larger in the front)
Wheel bearing don't make noise but their is a little play in them
Old 08-02-2007, 06:32 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

steering pump possibly

Get notified of new replies

To Steering binding

Quick Reply: Steering binding