Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NVCC to host Teen Driving School

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 11:58 AM
96LT1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NVCC to host Teen Driving School

Maybe this should be posted in another area but....

The Northern Virginia Corvette Club is hosting their third Teen Driving School. It will be at Battlefield High School in Haymarket, VA. on Saturday December 1 will be targeting the Holiday and New Year accidents time frame.

The school is normally from 6:00am to 3:00pm and consists of driving exercises and class room instruction. The groups for this event will consist of:
Skid Pad
Egg
Braking
Salom
Tech/Mechanical Class
ClassRoom (Vehicle Dynamics and Safety)

Attendence for the teens is free and lunch and beverages are provided for students and workers. We will be looking for helpers, instructors, and sponsors over the next month or so.

Anyone interested in supporting this event, finding out about enrolling a student or just general event information can contact either

96LT1 Michael.Sarver@L-3com.com Mike Sarver
or
wazzup whiskeytahoe@aol.com George Kerns
Old 08-03-2007, 03:14 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11
Default Count me in as a helper - gofer ...

Posted on the NVCC Forum ...

Good opportunity for Corvette folks in the area to get together in a community outreach way ...
Free for kids ... way better than some who stick the kids with a $200.oo ante.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Akcelr8 N VA
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike and George count me in! I've instructed the "egg" before but will go where ever you need me. Sorry I missed the last one.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:10 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Kids today don't know how to drive at all The kids around the shop are driving big new SUVs. Everyday I thank god that one of them didn't hit me. Driving is like having a load gun.

Randy
Old 08-06-2007, 11:20 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

I wonder if I can get my truck up there to show them how to drive around 18 wheelers. Not sure if I can get the time but please mention that. We have huge blind spots and can't stop on a dime.

Hope to see ya soon Mike. BTW, Nancy is still talking about you

Bob
Old 08-06-2007, 12:01 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Kids today don't know how to drive at all The kids around the shop are driving big new SUVs. Everyday I thank god that one of them didn't hit me. Driving is like having a load gun.

Randy
The feed back from our previous events has been great. We have even had some of the parents comment that they learned from just riding along in the backseat.

Originally Posted by Kanmer
I wonder if I can get my truck up there to show them how to drive around 18 wheelers. Not sure if I can get the time but please mention that. We have huge blind spots and can't stop on a dime.
I'm not sure we have a big enough parking lot for them to drive around a 18-wheeler

Hope to see ya soon Mike. BTW, Nancy is still talking about you

Bob
I hope it isn't anything bad
Old 08-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by 96LT1
I'm not sure we have a big enough parking lot for them to drive around a 18-wheeler
Smarta$$

Originally Posted by 96lt1
I hope it isn't anything bad
Bad? Boy you should hear her talk!!! Nah, she learned a lot with you and is very grateful.

Bob
Old 08-06-2007, 12:51 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM

Randy
I think it's nearly impossible to teach kids many of the discrete skills it takes to be a good driver with all the electronic nannies on cars these days. Hopefully when my son is of age I'll be able to track down a car without ABS, ASR, Traction control etc etc.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:19 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11
Default Good Reminder!

I wonder if I can get my truck up there to show them how to drive around 18 wheelers. Not sure if I can get the time but please mention that. We have huge blind spots and can't stop on a dime. Bob
Thanks ...
I haven't driven 18-wheelers, but have driven enough 5-ton and up non-semi trucks to appreciate the trucker's view.
On that point, I drilled into my son, as he was growing up, and continue to practice these points:

Respect a truck's "headspace" ... there's a reason they're not following the vehicle ahead too closely.
In the hills, don't interfere with a truck's "downhill run" ... if they have to brake and slow it kills the uphill momentum.
If you see a truck ahead closing on a slow moving vehicle, anticipate and facilitate a passing move (sometimes I pull out to the left and "block" to allow a truck to pull out and pass.
Don't run in the truck's blind spot (alongside the trailer(s).
Old 08-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
Thanks ...
I haven't driven 18-wheelers, but have driven enough 5-ton and up non-semi trucks to appreciate the trucker's view.
On that point, I drilled into my son, as he was growing up, and continue to practice these points:

Respect a truck's "headspace" ... there's a reason they're not following the vehicle ahead too closely.
In the hills, don't interfere with a truck's "downhill run" ... if they have to brake and slow it kills the uphill momentum.
If you see a truck ahead closing on a slow moving vehicle, anticipate and facilitate a passing move (sometimes I pull out to the left and "block" to allow a truck to pull out and pass.
Don't run in the truck's blind spot (alongside the trailer(s).
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! If everyone followed these simple rules it would be a much better time on the road. Oh, let's not forget to USE YOUR TURNIGNALS!!!! I appreciate what you have tried to teach your son.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To NVCC to host Teen Driving School

Quick Reply: NVCC to host Teen Driving School