Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alonso Bumped From Pole to 6th Starting Position

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 03:22 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Alonso Bumped From Pole to 6th Starting Position

F1: Stewards Dismiss Alonso, McLaren Excuses
Written by: Adam Cooper, RACER Magazine
Budapest, Hungary – 8/4/2007
The race stewards at the Hungaroring have decided to demote
the McLaren driver after reviewing evidence from today's qualifying
session, where the Spaniard held up teammate Lewis Hamilton in the
pits, causing the Briton to miss out on a final flying lap and possible
pole.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:02 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did like Hamilton's comment in the interview

Q: And just to finish, you didn’t get in a second quick lap. By how much time did you miss getting in a second quick lap?
LH: I would think by the same amount of time that I was held up in the pit stop.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:24 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

How could Fernado have imagined the outcome of that tactic
shaping up any way other than badly?

If he'd been less desperate and more mature, imagine how the
race would have ended today.

Instead, he finds himself in a much different scenario ...

Old 08-05-2007, 12:58 PM
codename Bil Doe
Burning Brakes

I don't see how they dictate what goes on in his own pits? On track, understandable. But, with the teams allowed only one pitstop, the punishment should have come from the team.

Some serious internal issues on that team. Looks like Alonso is really getting shafted internally and he won't be with them next year.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:21 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Um, bottom line here is that Hamilton started from pole, lead every lap, recorded fastest lap, and won the race. That's racing, whether or not Alonzo likes it!
Old 08-05-2007, 10:46 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by codename Bil Doe
I don't see how they dictate what goes on in his own pits? On track, understandable. But, with the teams allowed only one pitstop, the punishment should have come from the team.

Some serious internal issues on that team. Looks like Alonso is really getting shafted internally and he won't be with them next year.
The FIA didn't penalize them because of what happened. They penalized them because of their bs answer to why they did what they did. The FIA didn't like that McLaren was lying to them, so they pushed Alonso back to 6th and didn't let them score any points this weekend.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:58 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Um, bottom line here is that Hamilton started from pole, lead every lap, recorded fastest lap, and won the race. That's racing, whether or not Alonzo likes it!
Raikkonen (sp?) took fastest lap away on the last lap of the race, if I can believe the SpeedTV coverage, anyway.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:33 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Raikkonen (sp?) took fastest lap away on the last lap of the race, if I can believe the SpeedTV coverage, anyway.
Yeah i heard the same thing while lewis was doing his victory lap.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:36 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,391 Likes on 744 Posts

I don't see how they dictate what goes on in his own pits? On track, understandable. But, with the teams allowed only one pitstop, the punishment should have come from the team..
I don't think the team could have done anything, other than maybe change out Alonso's engine and put him back 10 spots. From that perspective FIA was the only agency in a position to do anything. Who knows, maybe Ron Dennis had a chat with someone on the FIA side.

However, I think FIA's action of suspending McLaren from gaining constructor's points was wrong. The team clearly intended to service both cars for a final flying lap; it was Alonso's 10 second delay after he was released that caused Hamilton to lose his chance.

Have a good one,
Mike

Last edited by VetteDrmr; 08-06-2007 at 09:58 AM. Reason: My brain wasn't working very well the first time...
Old 08-06-2007, 12:47 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
However, I think FIA's action of suspending McLaren from gaining constructor's points was wrong. The team clearly intended to service both cars for a final flying lap; it was Alonso's 10 second delay after he was released that caused Hamilton to lose his chance.
So the punishment should have been Alonso not being allowed to score any points? :-)
Old 08-06-2007, 12:54 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

It wasn't what McLaren did in the qualifying session that caused the penalty. It was McLaren's lack of disclosure to the FIA about what happened during qualifying that caused the penalty.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:08 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

I admit I'm only reading the FIA press release from www.formula1.com, but it doesn't say anywhere that the lack of disclosure from McLaren determined the constructor's point penalty.

The stewards’ statement continued: “The actions of the team in the final minutes of Qualifying are considered prejudicial to the interests of the competition and to the interests of motor sport generally. The penalty to be applied is that such points (if any) in the 2007 Formula One Constructors Championship as accrue to the team as a result of their participation in the 2007 Hungarian Grand Prix will be withdrawn.”

And, as far as Alonso's penalty goes, I think it should have been back to the rear of the Q3 group, 10th. Why they picked only halfway I don't understand, but then again I don't make enough money to comprehend FIA/FOCA.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-06-2007, 01:29 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

I admit I'm only reading the FIA press release from www.formula1.com, but it doesn't say anywhere that the lack of disclosure from McLaren determined the constructor's point penalty.

The stewards’ statement continued: “The actions of the team in the final minutes of Qualifying are considered prejudicial to the interests of the competition and to the interests of motor sport generally. The penalty to be applied is that such points (if any) in the 2007 Formula One Constructors Championship as accrue to the team as a result of their participation in the 2007 Hungarian Grand Prix will be withdrawn.”

And, as far as Alonso's penalty goes, I think it should have been back to the rear of the Q3 group, 10th. Why they picked only halfway I don't understand, but then again I don't make enough money to comprehend FIA/FOCA.

Have a good one,
Mike
According to the Speed announcers, this is just a catch-all rule. They said that the FIA imposed the penalty because Mclaren wasn't believed to be truthful with the FIA about what happened during qualifying. McLaren has appealed this ruling to get their points back, but the Speed crew said that the FIA has the history of imposing more penalties when a team tries to appeal their rulings. We'll see what happens.

Is this the right thing to do? No, but it's their rules
Old 08-06-2007, 01:41 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Hard to say what was going on the last few laps, since we were watching the battle for 12th most of the time at the end.

Larry
Old 08-06-2007, 03:08 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by xsiveone
Is this the right thing to do? No, but it's their rules
X,

That's one of the most universal and profound truthes of any racing sanctioning body! SCCA, NASCAR, FIA; they all have stellar reputations in this area.

IRL and CCWS may be just as screwed up, but there's so little interest who would know?

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-06-2007, 03:26 PM
codename Bil Doe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by xsiveone
The FIA didn't penalize them because of what happened. They penalized them because of their bs answer to why they did what they did. The FIA didn't like that McLaren was lying to them, so they pushed Alonso back to 6th and didn't let them score any points this weekend.
Gotcha. Makes more sense. They're so fickle they like to make rules as they go.

If the team wanted to penalize Alonso, they could have just pulled him from the car ala Speed. Statistically, Speed is doing better than Liuzzi but he's the one that got pulled.

Just an FYI, I've always hated Speed and wished we could get a good driver to represent America. They're desperate for one in F1, but who would want to go to that series? I also don't think they've ever been to Manteca or they'd stop mentioning it .
Old 08-06-2007, 04:29 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Gotcha. Makes more sense. They're so fickle they like to make rules as they go.

If the team wanted to penalize Alonso, they could have just pulled him from the car ala Speed. Statistically, Speed is doing better than Liuzzi but he's the one that got pulled.

Just an FYI, I've always hated Speed and wished we could get a good driver to represent America. They're desperate for one in F1, but who would want to go to that series? I also don't think they've ever been to Manteca or they'd stop mentioning it .
That's why Robby Gordon had to sit out the Pocono race. It wasn't because of what he did on the track. It was because he disobeyed NASCAR.

BTW.. I don't like Speed either. I hate his personality. I'd love to see Graham Rahal over there representing the US.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:31 PM
codename Bil Doe
Burning Brakes

Oh, I wasn't questioning Gordon's suspension. I would have sat his *** out for 4 races. If you don't like the rules, you don't play on my playground. Total jackass.

Get notified of new replies

To Alonso Bumped From Pole to 6th Starting Position

Quick Reply: Alonso Bumped From Pole to 6th Starting Position