Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock seat with harness?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 02:40 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Stock seat with harness?

I was gonna upgrade the front brakes, but then remembered how much I slid around the last time on the track. Maybe I should look into harness/race seat first before tackling the brake mod. Is it OK to install a harness, and use it with the stock seat? I'm not sure how effective this is. For those who have racing seat/harness/harness bar, can you still use the stock seat belt? My car is not a dedicated track car at all, so being able to use the seat belt is a must.

Thanks for any input,
Old 08-09-2007, 03:12 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

To start out you could just go buy some rubber tool box liner. Cut a piece to fit the bottom of your seat. and sit on it.

When you put your stock belt on, Real it all the way out, then let it retract. It will allow for a tighter fit.

PPl always ask where do START my mod?

answer: Contact patches.

Brake pads and brake fluid
Tires
Harness belts and seat
Old 08-09-2007, 03:35 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
When you put your stock belt on, Real it all the way out, then let it retract. It will allow for a tighter fit.
Yep, I've been doing that. Helped quite a bit.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:54 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I added a lap belt and it made a huge difference as you can really cinch yourself down. I attached it with the rear seat track factory nuts. It's easy to use and also move out of the way. Both the lap belt and the factory belts can be used at the same time. A harness is nice and more secure but I wasn't ready to add the harness bar and a race seat.

--Dan
Old 08-09-2007, 03:57 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dbratten
I added a lap belt and it made a huge difference as you can really cinch yourself down. I attached it with the rear seat track factory nuts. It's easy to use and also move out of the way. Both the lap belt and the factory belts can be used at the same time. A harness is nice and more secure but I wasn't ready to add the harness bar and a race seat.

--Dan
Where did you buy the belt? Thanks,
Old 08-09-2007, 04:59 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You either need to do it right or don't do it at all. The 3 point is designed for you to fold over forward in case of an accident generating forward movement. Or in a rollover you either slide under the belt or fold over.

Adding harnesses to the stock seat isn't safe. What happens during a high speed head on collision. The belts not being adequately anchored on the seat. The belts will slide down the side of your seat and the forward motion will turn into downward motion and you can kiss your back goodbye.

I mean you can do it and it'll be easier to drive. But if you're looking for safety you have to do it right. Or you are better off with the 3pt system. More belts does not mean safer. I would seriously not go harness bar either. The corvette doesn't even have a back seat so you might as well get the roll bar. It adds chassis rigidity anyway.
All you need is a roll bar, a seat, and a harness. Find a seat that fits too.

Just my opinion.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:36 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11
Default One guy's approach ...

2004 ... DOT4 fluid
DRM brake ducts and phoenix spindle mounts.
2005 ...DOT4 fluid "turkey basting" begins for clutch (continuing)
2006 ... SS brake lines, titanium pad liners (reduce heat transfer to calipers)
Hawk HP+ pads
Amsoil synthetics in trans and diff
Valvoline synthetic blend in PS pump.
2007 ... Nitto 555 R2 tires for track (I still drive to track)
Carbotech XP 10/8 pads for track (HP+ now street/autoX pads)
'04 C5Z06 shocks.
4 pt weld-in roll bar
In-process - (before 19 Aug) DRM Ron Davis Radiator and integrated Engine Oil Cooler.
Planned - seats and harness (I'll retain the 3-pt belts for street)
Restraint (R3 or HANS)
Redline synthetic PS fluid
FWIW

Last edited by MungoZ06; 08-10-2007 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:47 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapid Transit
Where did you buy the belt? Thanks,
I had a new Pyrotech belt laying around for years but what you're looking for is a bolt end lap belt like one here -- http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo...cingbelts.html

--Dan
Old 08-09-2007, 06:16 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a harness and a stock seat for a while. The harness was confined on the bar such that the ends were held close together, and thus even without the sport seats (I have a Z06) I found it pretty secure. It was never tested in a wreck, thank goodness. I'd have been toast. Harnesses are a touchy subject, but once I was using it on track, I couldn't go back. It's so nice to not be slung all over the place. Might not be as safe, but we're taking on a good bit of risk by being at the track.

I think it's important to recognize that harnesses are part of a system. The seat, the harness, the roll bar/cage and a head restraint all work together in a way that the stock belts can't to keep you together when you prang the car. If you have some of those elements but not all, some facet of your safety will be compromised. I'm getting that last element (head restraint) soon.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:12 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

If I get the bar (something like what Hardbar sells), 5-point harness, and race seat, can I still use the stock seat belt? Thanks,
Old 08-09-2007, 07:43 PM
SteveC6R
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I have a Hardbar, Brey-Krause sub belt connectors and a Schroth belt in my C6.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

If I get the bar (something like what Hardbar sells), 5-point harness, and race seat, can I still use the stock seat belt? Thanks,
with a "race" the sides are up too high so the stock seat belt isn't against you hips like it should be, so you really need to swap back to your OEM seat when you're going to be using the 3-point and that only takes 5-10 minutes. Other than that, yes the 3-point and 5/6-point harness can both be in the car

Last edited by Lancer033; 08-09-2007 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:56 PM
jjherman3
Advanced

Default seatbelt

I was gonna upgrade the front brakes, but then remembered how much I slid around the last time on the track.
Hello,

Last autox I went to a fellow corvette racer had a sternum strap. I just went around the seat back and around your chest under the arms. He swears it works great. I think he wasn't using the stock seatbelt at all, just the strap. I was thinking of getting one. He goes by Talon95 on this board. You might want to PM him if interested.

Jeff
Old 08-10-2007, 01:10 AM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lancer033
with a "race" the sides are up too high so the stock seat belt isn't against you hips like it should be, so you really need to swap back to your OEM seat when you're going to be using the 3-point and that only takes 5-10 minutes. Other than that, yes the 3-point and 5/6-point harness can both be in the car
That's good to know. I don't mind putting the race seat in for an HPDE day and swap back the stock seat for commuting to work, 5-10 minutes you said? Is there a particular brand of seat that's easier to install/uninstall than most others? I'll need to check out some seats in person though.

Thanks,
Old 08-10-2007, 01:11 AM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jjherman3
Hello,

Last autox I went to a fellow corvette racer had a sternum strap. I just went around the seat back and around your chest under the arms. He swears it works great. I think he wasn't using the stock seatbelt at all, just the strap. I was thinking of getting one. He goes by Talon95 on this board. You might want to PM him if interested.

Jeff
Did he have another mean of restraint besides the sternum strap? I assume so even though you didn't mention it, otherwise it'd be suicidal on a roadcourse with just a sternum strap. Thanks,
Old 08-10-2007, 02:09 AM
bstbrgr
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google shark bars.com Bought mine here great guy to work with and has some pretty neat harness bars for Corvettes.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:59 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The harnesses really must go through the seat back to be effective and anchor your upper body correctly. Sport seats are an option if you do not want to go to race seats. I took my seats tio a local upholstry shop and they did cutouts / harness pass throughs on the upper sections for $150.00. There is no support structure in that location and all they had to do was match the factory nmaterial and cut the foam. Only took a day and now the belts fit and work like they are supposed to.

Get notified of new replies

To Stock seat with harness?

Old 08-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

That's good to know. I don't mind putting the race seat in for an HPDE day and swap back the stock seat for commuting to work, 5-10 minutes you said? Is there a particular brand of seat that's easier to install/uninstall than most others? I'll need to check out some seats in person though.

Thanks,
The FIA certified racing seats are (to my knowledge) all side mounted seats, so they'll be mounted to some type of seat rails (forum vendor Hard Bar or nonforum vendor speedware motorsports sells)which get bolted to the car in place of the stock seat. Once it's set up and adjusted, undo 4 bolts and an electrical plug to pull the stock seat out, the aftermarket seat rails fit the same location and you put the bolts back on.

Give Garry Hoffman from Hardbar a call, he can set you up with everything you need, and it's easier to get everything from 1 source than to piece it together from 10 different companies like I did.

http://www.hardbarusa.com/hardbar/
Old 08-10-2007, 08:51 PM
jjherman3
Advanced

Did he have another mean of restraint besides the sternum strap? I assume so even though you didn't mention it, otherwise it'd be suicidal on a roadcourse with just a sternum strap. Thanks,

He was just using the sternum strap for low speed autox. I didnt realize you were doing high speed stuff.

Jeff
Old 10-13-2007, 01:55 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanm98
You either need to do it right or don't do it at all. The 3 point is designed for you to fold over forward in case of an accident generating forward movement. Or in a rollover you either slide under the belt or fold over.

Adding harnesses to the stock seat isn't safe. What happens during a high speed head on collision. The belts not being adequately anchored on the seat. The belts will slide down the side of your seat and the forward motion will turn into downward motion and you can kiss your back goodbye.

I mean you can do it and it'll be easier to drive. But if you're looking for safety you have to do it right. Or you are better off with the 3pt system. More belts does not mean safer. I would seriously not go harness bar either. The corvette doesn't even have a back seat so you might as well get the roll bar. It adds chassis rigidity anyway.
All you need is a roll bar, a seat, and a harness. Find a seat that fits too.

Just my opinion.
very smart guy here !

Quick Reply: Stock seat with harness?