Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold PSI starting point for street tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 05:22 PM
Goodwood
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold PSI starting point for street tires?

While at the CGI HPDE 2 wks ago, "someone" told us (me & my 2 kids) to raise our cold street tire pressures by 4 lbs, which we did. This eventually resulted in high pressure warning on my DIC. This is contradictory to what I just read on turnfast.com. They recommend going with about 5 less PSI cold as a starting point. It's expected to be 80 deg F on Mon, and I'm running KDW-2s in Novice class. fwiw, my sons both have FWD cars. Any tips/recommendations?

Last edited by Goodwood; 08-11-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:14 PM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the tire pressure that is recommended for the car. On my '01 Z it is 30/30 F/R. I have not had any issues with the way the car handles or the tires wear.. I run HPDE 3 with NASA-SE. I run the BF Goodrich KDWs in front and the KDW2s in the rear.

Last edited by beerkat; 08-11-2007 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:06 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No matter what I start at I always have to bleed down a bit as the day goes on. I've been running 28/26 with the stock C6 Z51 runflats.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Goodwood
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by beerkat
I run the tire pressure that is recommended for the car. On my '01 Z it is 30/30 F/R. I have not had any issues with the way the car handles or the tires wear.. I run HPDE 3 with NASA-SE. I run the BF Goodrich KDWs in front and the KDW2s in the rear.
Sounds good, thanks!

Originally Posted by gkmccready
No matter what I start at I always have to bleed down a bit as the day goes on. I've been running 28/26 with the stock C6 Z51 runflats.
So, you're are 28/26 cold? Once they're hot, where do you like them?
Old 08-11-2007, 07:29 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Goodwood
So, you're are 28/26 cold? Once they're hot, where do you like them?
Yup. Mid-high 30s seems to work pretty well for the Supercars. First day out in the new car I wasn't paying enough attention and got the stupid over-inflation warning... put a little extra wear on the middle of the tire that day.

I'll have better information next weekend since I finally ordered a pyrometer...
Old 08-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Last years setup liked 31.8 cold. It's going to change a lot, keep track of it.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Goodwood
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Phadt coilover settings?

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Last years setup liked 31.8 cold. It's going to change a lot, keep track of it.
I'll start low, work my way up.
Any recommendations for my Pfadts? Right now, and my 1st tiem at the track, I had them soft for the street at 4 frt/6rear.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

I'll start low, work my way up.
Any recommendations for my Pfadts? Right now, and my 1st tiem at the track, I had them soft for the street at 4 frt/6rear.
On mine I could watch the wear line, it was to high on the outside edge of the tire so I kept bringing the pressure down. There are small triangles on the shoulder that you can use to check the wear line.

I don't have pfadts, are those double or single adjustable? You'd probably want to start a new topic of that or try a search.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:56 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

The recommendation to raise cold tire pressure by 4-6psi is meant for non-experienced road course racers in order to save the sidewall of the tires during the learning process. There's no sense in chewing up a good set of tires until you really know what you're doing anyway. More air in the tires obviously makes them more slippery. A newbie driving under these conditions will learn the limits of the car much sooner and be able to run quicker times once the aire pressure is lowered to improve traction.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Goodwood
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default hmm. that does maks sense, but my son

Originally Posted by sperkins
The recommendation to raise cold tire pressure by 4-6psi is meant for non-experienced road course racers in order to save the sidewall of the tires during the learning process. There's no sense in chewing up a good set of tires until you really know what you're doing anyway. More air in the tires obviously makes them more slippery. A newbie driving under these conditions will learn the limits of the car much sooner and be able to run quicker times once the aire pressure is lowered to improve traction.
learned the limits of his car on the 1st session when he trashed his RF 5Zigen wheel and his Nitto Neogen tire. Cost me 400 bucks.

Last edited by Goodwood; 08-13-2007 at 05:45 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

learned the limits of his car on the 1st session when he trashed his RF 5Zigen wheel. Cost me 400 bucks.
What'd he do, make you a "deal" that you have to pay for any damages if he goes to the track with you?
Old 08-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Goodwood
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Default The "deal" is,

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
What'd he do, make you a "deal" that you have to pay for any damages if he goes to the track with you?
that I'd spring for this 1st one, since his bro recently ran over a pothole on the street and did the same thing. But, from now on, it's his mistake on his nickel! Of course, expendable items like brakes and tires will always be my responsibility.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:46 AM
steve40th
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

these recommended pressure are for road racing, what about autocross?
Old 08-13-2007, 09:36 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not being an AutoX person I would think that you would raise your tire pressures when cold. I do not think that who would build the same amount of heat that road racer would.

Get notified of new replies

To Cold PSI starting point for street tires?

Quick Reply: Cold PSI starting point for street tires?