Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T1 Sway bar help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:56 AM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Default T1 Sway bar help...

...Installing T1 bars today on my Z06...what hole should the rear endlinks go in, and I assume the same hole on both sides?

Also...all 4 endlinks are adustable...what does this do for me on the front?...Making them longer = more tension? Where should they be set? Half? All the way out? All the way in? What do I gain by adjusting them?

Any info would be appreciated...I need to know quick, I have a track day tomorrow.

Thanks..
Old 08-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I have seen posts from folks using either the middle hole or the hole closest to the end. The longer (closer to the end of the bar) that you make the bar, the softer it is and the less oversteer you will have. The shorter, the stiffer. Depends on your personal style and how much oversteer you want. Maybe whtknight and others using the bar can suggest a setting based on your setup and experience level. If you don't get any other feedback, suggest that you go with the softest (closest to the end) setting, and if it is too soft you will get some push.. Season to taste...

The end links should be in about the middle of their travel. The objective is to take the preload out of the bar. Set the preload to zero ON A LEVEL SURFACE, not just on your garage floor unless it is properly flat. Set the links to about midtravel on one side of the car and then install the other side (on a level surface) by adjusting the links so that they easily slide on... Done...
Old 08-15-2007, 04:09 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Most folks use the middle setting.

Some people like to zero the bars with no fuel, some with half and some with a full tank. One is not necessarily better than the other, but I like to use 1/2 a tank. You DO however need to put YOU in the driver seat though (or at least whatever you weigh).
Old 08-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

As mentioned above, set the links so they are easy to install with the car settled. Do not use the links to push or pull the bars in either direction. No "pre-load". You will bend the links of they are pre-loaded.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:28 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

the whole point of having multiple holes is for tuning. Set both in the middle hole, then soften or stiften one side at a time to tune over or understeer.

I haven't personally measured a new T1 bar, but I would assume the middle hole is close to where the only hole was in the old bar.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:51 AM
Dr Chill
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I was going to ask, what middle hole? My bars only have one. Is that change recent?
Old 08-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
That's what I was going to ask, what middle hole? My bars only have one. Is that change recent?

The rear bar has 3 holes on each end..... I'm running the middle hole, for now...
Old 08-17-2007, 09:02 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
The older T1 bars just had one hole on the ends. The C6 T1 rear bar came with 3 holes on each end for greater flexibility of adjustment. The 3-hole bar will fit on a C5.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:43 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a set of T1 bars waiting to be installed, just haven't gotten to it yet. This is probably one of those dumb questions, but here goes -- I thought I read somewhere that you cannot install the T1 bars with the stock bar brackets, that you need a larger bracket to put them in. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 08-17-2007, 11:53 AM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
I have a set of T1 bars waiting to be installed, just haven't gotten to it yet. This is probably one of those dumb questions, but here goes -- I thought I read somewhere that you cannot install the T1 bars with the stock bar brackets, that you need a larger bracket to put them in. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Steve
I re-used the stock bar brackets...just added the new bushings (insulators) that came with the T1 kit.

Kit came with adj. endlinks, bushings, and the bars.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:22 PM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

Thanks,
Steve
You can, but you should use a few small spacers so you are not distoring the bracket and bushing. The stock bracket is not quite big enough for such a large bushing.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:29 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ICaughtVetteFever
You can, but you should use a few small spacers so you are not distoring the bracket and bushing. The stock bracket is not quite big enough for such a large bushing.
Makes sense. Spacers, as in washers??
Old 08-17-2007, 10:32 PM
ICaughtVetteFever
Melting Slicks

Makes sense. Spacers, as in washers??
Yes, I got mine from the local hardware store. If I remember correctly it was about 1/4" or so total.

Last edited by ICaughtVetteFever; 08-17-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:42 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Just curious, I'm installing a set this Friday and noticed the bushings have a kevlar looking material inside them. Just curious what most of you are using to lube them with? I've tried lots of different things but they were always on rubber or poly bushings with no material like that inside them.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:27 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

grease
Old 08-21-2007, 03:42 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Could you be more specific? That answer is painfully obvious.

In the past some sway bars came pre-packaged with lube. Since the T1s did not and that extra material I was curious if it required something special or what simply the kind of grease used.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:46 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TommyBoy72
Could you be more specific?
Slippery Grease.

Get notified of new replies

To T1 Sway bar help...

Old 08-21-2007, 05:31 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I can just hear Chris saying to himself: "geeze, I crack myself up"! Synthetic and/or waterproof grease. I use Royal Purple and Mobil 1, depending on what I have at the time.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:05 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Thanks Gary. I figured wtknght1 was just having some harmless fun.

I've used marine lube in the past but must of thrown it out last move. I have moly grease I was planning to use. I probably have some valvoline syn grease as well.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:04 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Slippery Grease.
Crap! I just got the new bars installed and now I have to pull them down to lube them. I assumed that the fabric was some sore of dry lube thing.

Quick Reply: T1 Sway bar help...