Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Data Aquisition Software(Race Pak)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:34 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Data Aquisition Software(Race Pak)

I am building a track only RR car. I have been looking into some data acquisition/track mapping GPS systems.

Any suggestions. The Motec system looks great, but is expensive. Anyone have any experience with RacePak(see link)? They have two base systems (one $995, the other race deluxe model $1,750. With additional modules and instrument display it runs around $3,000)

If so, what modules do you recommend purchasing with the system. Any other products folks like better?

Thanks!

http://www.g2xpro.com/
Old 08-19-2007, 06:51 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I have the G2X base model and it works great.
Was easy to install, wire the tach etc.

I would recommend it.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:37 PM
jlucas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your experience level?
What are you looking to get out of the system (car development vs driver development, both)?
What do you want your display to do?

edit: Are you building this car to a specific race series?
Old 08-19-2007, 11:25 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I am a newbie, although I have been tracking the car weekly. I started driving on track last Oct. I'm getting some good instruction along the way also (1-2 hours per week).

I'm looking to use the software to improve my skills and help me develop as a driver.

A number of folks at our track will have the instructor they work with drive the car to establish baseline info and then use that to track how the student is doing and fine tune, line and other skills.

I'm also interested in learning which plug ins/instrument read outs you think I should order with the G2 package (also do I get the regular version or pro series).

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:26 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

PS. I'm not building the car to a particular race series, although I suspect I would race T1 if I decide to take things further.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:06 AM
jlucas
Racer

There are 3 main entry level GPS players in the market (RacePak G2X, Race Technology DL1, and TraqMate). Each has a decidedly different take on software interface, how they handle inputs, and the type of displays they offer. I suggest that, at a minimum, you try each software along with some sample data. Each has it's own strong & weak points.

For inputs, I'd be looking to have you hooked up to just throttle position, rpm, brake circuit and adding steering angle down the road, once your more familiar with the software and data acquisition.

If you need some sample DL1 data, just let me know.

Edit: G2X Pro vs a regular G2X? I would think the Pro would be overkill for you at this point, and information overload if you went with the shock & ride height package.

Last edited by jlucas; 08-20-2007 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:19 AM
TommyBoy72
Pro

I've now used the G2X, PerformanceBox, and MaxQdata. Of those the G2x collects the most data. Bang for the buck I do like the PerformanceBox I bought recently. The software was the most friendly, it collected enough data without having to be wired or installed level, and required the least amount of user input.

In a money be damned situation, I would go with the G2X, I'm saying this with no experience with the DL1 so keep that in mind. If you are on a tighter budget, give the PerformanceBox a look - At $500 or less versus the $1900 for the G2X, its a bargain.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:22 AM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

I suggest you stongly consider the support you will recieve after the purchase. Jeremy Lucas on this forum, who has already responded to your post and offered some valuable insight, sells several of the systems. I purchased the DL-1 from Jeremy because he is one of us, offers support for the products he sells and is quite competative on the price. I am just learnign to use my system and can already see where, with the proper instruction, it will repay the effort.

Last edited by WNDOPDLR; 08-20-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:40 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys!
Old 08-20-2007, 12:46 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR
I suggets you stongly consider the support you will recieve after the purchase.
Agreed. I bought my PerformanceBox from Jeremy @ Fast Tech because of this.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:25 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I think the G2X and the Traqmate look awesome....it's amazing how the GPS technology has taken over racing data systems from the old accelerometer/distance logging devices.

personally, I like the G2x as it has a "dash" that is large enough to actually be used during real time while on track. They all collect data, but the G2x seems to have an advantage as being a good lap timer during your sessions.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:41 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Does the dash readout with their standard model work for you? Any upgrades to that you recommend.

PS. I also had the opportunity to speak with Jeromy who sells the Race Technology products, which also look very interesting.

Both look like tremendous options.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:28 PM
rangerob
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

Here ya go read up on this one. http://www.maxqdata.com/MQGPSCustomOrder.htm
Old 08-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Life is Good Racing
Instructor

I started running the G2X this season and am enjoying it so far. With the gps system, certainly the lap timer is excellent and I do use the dash that comes with the G2x as my exclusive dash. In my car, since it's in an unrestricted class, I took out the entire dash/guages etc. and now use the G2X with their RacePak oil and water temp guages plus the oil pressure guages. If you add the guages and the sensors, it's not cheap, but is pretty cool to have that data also datalogged. This is especially helpful as I can look back at my sessions and see if there are any areas where the oil pressure gets low or I can see just how hot the car is running.

Another friend has been running the G2X in his Porsche 993 racecar, and he really loves it. He has been using more of the capabilities of the software, determining section times, fastest potential lap etc..

I think that the Traqmate has an option to coincide the data with video (from the Chase Cam I think...not sure though)recording, which would be cool. I'd also call RacePak to see if they have something like this, either now or in the works.

Good luck!

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Data Aquisition Software(Race Pak)

Quick Reply: Data Aquisition Software(Race Pak)