Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SleeperZ06's Misfortune

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:15 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SleeperZ06's Misfortune

Last Saturday, at a T-1 race at Pocono our own SleeperZ06 (Joe Gaudette) was involved in a major crash. Fortunately, Joe is OK, but his car suffered major damage to the front and right rear.

What I have been able to gather from talking to the corner people is that AFTER THE CHECKERED FLAG WAVED, Joe's car was punted by another car into the tire wall surrounding the flag station at Turn 1.

Joe's car was hit on the right rear by the @#$%^&* unattentive driver and propelled at considerable speed into the tire barrier.

How anybody can stop paying attention to his driving at triple digit speeds just because he passed the finish line is just beyond me. Unfortunately, Joe suffered the consequences through no fault of his own.

So, Joe, I'm glad you don't have a scratch on you. Just wanted to tell you we feel your pain, buddy. Let us know how we can help get you back on the track.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:27 AM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Man, I'm glad to hear he's OK but I cannot imagine how PO'd he must be. I'm seeing a little red mist myself!
Old 08-20-2007, 09:34 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
L
So, Joe, I'm glad you don't have a scratch on you. Just wanted to tell you we feel your pain, buddy. Let us know how we can help get you back on the track.
Damn Joe. What do you need?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:42 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear it Joe. I hope the other driver has been man enough to offer something.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:47 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Joe, you have my number if there is anything I can do to help. That totally sucks, your car was by far the cleanest T1 car I have ever seen. I am glad you are OK, cars can be replaced, lives cannot (quote from Teamtech).

Last edited by ghoffman; 08-20-2007 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:16 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Joe called me right after it happened and yeah, he was really irritated as you can imagine. I still have no clue how a showroom stock car can plow into a T1 car after the checker has waved...especially at a track like Pocono which has an infinite amount of runoff room along with more paved surfaces than you can shake a stick at. The other driver supposedly said his brakes failed...but I don't buy that at all. I have no idea what he was thinking...but it cost my bud his runoffs this year...and could have been much worse. I'm glad you're OK buddy!! I hope you went thru with the protest and put some points on his license!

As I told you though, if you race long enough, you will have a big wreck - whether your fault or not. It's inevitable...and happened to me back in 02. Mike has had his too. Consider it a racer's rite of passage. Welcome to the club - it's not elite and the members are growing every day! You'll get it fixed and be back out there with us soon!!
Old 08-20-2007, 11:20 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by ghoffman
I am glad you are OK, cars can be replaced, lives cannot.
So Ironicaly true.

After seeing how things turned out with the BMW driver at M-O yesterday, that statement hits home.

I wish you luck in getting back on your feet with the car Joe. I heard it's all but completely destroyed. Loosing a car after the checker is completely unnacceptable in amatuer motorsports.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:33 AM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by RogueVette
So Ironicaly true.

After seeing how things turned out with the BMW driver at M-O yesterday, that statement hits home.

I wish you luck in getting back on your feet with the car Joe. I heard it's all but completely destroyed. Loosing a car after the checker is completely unnacceptable in amatuer motorsports.
Or in almost any other type of motorsports as well. That is too bad!
Old 08-20-2007, 11:41 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to hear that, Joe. Thankfully, you're all right.

I've just about got mine all sorted out after a very mild, self infilicted skirmish with a tire wall, so I can feel your pain.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Janni
Advanced

Wow - at least Dario Franchitti only took himself out.

No excuse for that - and so sorry it happened. That person ought to be helping you out financially -before he/she spends a dime on his/her own car.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:23 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I was at HPT, not Pocono, this weekend, so I was not there to provide support to Rhonda and Joe. I regret not being there.

I get a frantic call from my brother (he races a GTL Nissan and was at Pocono) informing me what happened. So many thoughts are going through my mind...

#1. When I first started racing someone told me a story about another racer who missed the checkered flag in a race and continued on...the person said people like that shouldn't have their national license. Maybe that is applicable in this case as well.

#2. How the HE** does a car plow into another one in this fashion and NO action is taken by the SCCA Stewards? Man, I remember a certain T1 driver being placed on probation for running into the back of another T1 car in the middle of the race because his ABS went out. And nothing here?

This SSC driver (who I know to see but don't know well, and hold no animosity towards, at least prior to this occurance) put the kabosh on Joe & Rhonda's racing plans for quite some time. We all do things we would like to take back, I am proof of that. But this was a BIG error in judgement and execution. I don't care if the brakes went out (I didn't know SSC Cobalts had brake issues...is this a T1 Vette?), there is plenty of room to avoid running into a car, especially after the start/finish line at Pocono.

Unbelieveable.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:13 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

HOLY CRAP!

Joe has been my "mentor" as it were, through this year of racing. This is terrible. I'm really glad that he came out unscathed.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:28 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. It will be a financial mess. Joe will need help with the labor to put his car back together if it doesn't have the frame damage and can be repaired.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:20 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear this, glad you are OK physically.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:23 PM
Blitz_
Instructor

Wow, I'm so glad Joe is okay. That really sucks that some a-hole did that. I'm in the process of gettimg my license (have novice) all because of Joe. He got me hooked!

Best wishes to Joe and Rhonda.

Ralph
Old 08-20-2007, 02:31 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Blitz_
That really sucks that some a-hole did that.
Let's not get too carried away here.

NO ONE, outside of Joe & Rhon, is more upset about this than I am. However, the guy who did this is not an a-hole. His judgement in racing situations is certainly in question, but he's not an a-hole.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Racer-38
Racer

I have no idea what happened here. But I have finished races before where guys take their foot completely off the gas as soon as they get the checkers, instead of gradually slowing down. I know it has caught me off guard more then once.

Get notified of new replies

To SleeperZ06's Misfortune

Old 08-20-2007, 02:52 PM
ReddyZ06
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Joe,
I am terribly sorry to hear the news about your car. I was at Mid-Ohio (spectating) Sunday when I heard the news. I am glad to hear that you are OK. I hope that you can get the car back together soon and without too much expense.
Mike
Old 08-20-2007, 03:17 PM
dsanders
Instructor

I was paddocked with the Gaudette’s this past weekend at Pocono, and after the race I got back and was waiting for Joe to come back and BS with him to see how his race went. Then someone that was there with me told me he got hit in turn 1 after the checker flag. I was there when the ambulance dropped him off at his trailer, he was fine but a little hot under the collar. After seeing the scuff mark on his helmet, I am glad you in one piece. The car is fixable your head is not.
Knowing most of the circumstances around this incident, Joe just happened to be the innocent bystander in a completely avoidable accident. I hope the stewards of the meet take some kind of action against the other driver.
For the next couple of hours people keep stopping by to see how he was. Joe and Rhonda were surprised by the amount of people that came by. I was not surprised because you guys are a class act. Keep your heads up and get back on the track soon.
Dave
T1 #73
Old 08-20-2007, 03:25 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about this Joe! Glad you are ok. Give a shout if you need anything.

Aaron Quine

Quick Reply: SleeperZ06's Misfortune