Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI: Hoosier R6 tire measurements

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:17 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default FYI: Hoosier R6 tire measurements

I recently bought a new set of Hoosiers in 345/35-18 and 295/30-18 and before I had them mounted I made a few measurements. The 345's had the following:
Max section width= 364mm
Max section height= 108mm
Weight= 29 lbs
Durometer=64

The front 295's had:
Max section width= 304mm
Max section height= 93mm
Weight= 24 lbs
Durometer=64

I ran them Thursday at NHIS, and I was very impressed. We started off in the morning (60 F)with a 29 PSI initial cold pressures, and after the RF went to 40 and the RR went to 38 (yes it was pushing in left handers) and the lefts around 36-37 psi after the first session. We went down one click (from 4 to 3) on the RF shock compression damping and reduced the RF pressure to about 32 static (but still very warm) and at 35-36 psi hot (I have the pressure sensors and Bartec tool) the car was fantastic. I was running -1.0-1.2 rear camber, 1.5 or so front and I could have used some more RF camber but it was close. Also, it was the first time out with some new Pfadt urethane bushings on all 4 corners (great product, more later in a different post) so I did not need 2.5 degrees static camber to get say 1.5 degrees under load like with the stock rubber bushings. I can now say the correct pressures in the R6 is different than the R3SO5, and is around 34-36 psi. As I get more time, I will try to refine the number tighter.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:50 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The R6 is a great tire. Best I've ever used, but they take a little longer than their predecessor to warm up. I have done 15 minutes sessions where they were just getting up to temp. If you are doing open track days though, they seem to last for a LONG time before they overheat. The pressures are definately much less than the R4
Old 08-20-2007, 12:59 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman

I ran them Thursday at NHIS, and I was very impressed. We started off in the morning (60 F)with a 29 PSI initial cold pressures, and after the RF went to 40 and the RR went to 38 (yes it was pushing in left handers) and the lefts around 36-37 psi after the first session. We went down one click (from 4 to 3) on the RF shock compression damping and reduced the RF pressure to about 32 static (but still very warm) and at 35-36 psi hot (I have the pressure sensors and Bartec tool) the car was fantastic. I was running -1.0-1.2 rear camber, 1.5 or so front and I could have used some more RF camber but it was close. Also, it was the first time out with some new Pfadt urethane bushings on all 4 corners (great product, more later in a different post) so I did not need 2.5 degrees static camber to get say 1.5 degrees under load like with the stock rubber bushings. I can now say the correct pressures in the R6 is different than the R3SO5, and is around 34-36 psi. As I get more time, I will try to refine the number tighter.
Gary, I have found the R6s like at least 2 degrees of negative camber in the front and about 1.5 negative in the rear.

I run them at 34 PSI front and 28 to 30 PSI rear. This seems to give me the best F-R balance. Most Vette drivers I have seen use at least 4 PSI differential F to R. You may want to experiment some more with your tire pressures.

Enjoy your R6s, the best track tires available today, bar none.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:52 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Frank,
Do you have the OE bushings in the a-arms?
Old 08-20-2007, 07:04 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
The R6 is a great tire. Best I've ever used, but they take a little longer than their predecessor to warm up. I have done 15 minutes sessions where they were just getting up to temp. If you are doing open track days though, they seem to last for a LONG time before they overheat. The pressures are definately much less than the R4
you need to run them harder fast!
Old 08-20-2007, 08:24 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Frank,
Do you have the OE bushings in the a-arms?

Yes. Stock A-arms as required by SCCA SuperStock rules.

Frank Gonzalez

Get notified of new replies

To FYI: Hoosier R6 tire measurements

Quick Reply: FYI: Hoosier R6 tire measurements