Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6's and Pfadt suspensions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 11:23 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C6's and Pfadt suspensions

What would you do in my situation?

I'm starting to shop for a used C6. (I probably won't actually buy for a few months.) Soon after I buy it, I will be installing a full Pfadt suspension onto it -- the coilovers, Pfatty sway bars, and all the bushings. I will be driving it on the streets everyday, and on the road tracks one or two days a month. So I'm looking for a setup that is civilized on the streets, but can be adjusted easily (in about 15 minutes) to give great race track performance. I don't think I will lower the car at all, or maybe just a little.

My questions are: Does it really make sense to not pay extra for the Z51 option package, because I will be throwing away a lot of the stock suspension? (I can't afford a Z06.) Are the Z51 brakes that much better, that they would be worth paying several hundred dollars extra to get? Are there any other advantages of the Z51 package I haven't considered? I'm on a budget here, so think about costs please.

Thanks for you opinion, Bob
Old 08-30-2007, 12:16 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Eh" on the brakes. But the Z51 also has different transmission gearing. Oil cooler. Transmission cooler. etc. Don't discount all that unless you're immediately going for a new radiator and oil cooler and ...
Old 08-30-2007, 01:34 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gkmccready
"Eh" on the brakes. But the Z51 also has different transmission gearing. Oil cooler. Transmission cooler. etc. Don't discount all that unless you're immediately going for a new radiator and oil cooler and ...
I had forgotten about all the coolers on the Z51. I think it has a power steering cooler too. I'll definitely need them on the track.

Decision made. I'll try to buy a C6 Z51.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:16 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Default One More Item?

I recently added the coil-overs and street Pfadt bars and am very happy with them although I am still working out adjustments. But one other item I added to my purchase was the Camber Adjustment Kit. I can't tell from your post if you are planning on its purchase so I'll talk a little about it. My reason for purchase was not to insure that my settings stayed in place (which is a primary function of the kit) but to allow easy movement between race and street settings without having to spend a fortune at an alignment shop or countless hours out in the garage.

With the kit I am able to set street castor, camber and toe where I want them. Then with the removal of upper A-arm shims in the F, the replacement of lower arm spacers in the R, and counting the flats as I adjust toe F&R I set my race specs. Record what’s needed to go from one to the other and I can get back and forth in 30-40 minutes. The perfect time to make the switch is when you are changing to your race rubber as the wheels are off.

I believe Hardbar also offers a kit.

Re: Z51 -- I bought a base model in part because I knew I would change out most of the parts anyway and also with an A6 much of the Z51 package is missing. With the MN6 you can decide whether the coolers are worth the money or if they are adequate by doing some research here on CF. The Z51 tires wear faster than the base EMTs and have reported cold-weather grip issues. The gearing may provide some benefit but may not depending on the track you run and the corner speeds possibly being between gears in any transmission you choose. The brakes have been discussed at great length and I believe the consensus (among racers) has been that their value is purely for "bling."

--Dan

Get notified of new replies

To C6's and Pfadt suspensions

Quick Reply: C6's and Pfadt suspensions