Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF is Alonso thinking??

Old 08-30-2007, 07:07 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Default WTF is Alonso thinking??

You're one of the best F1 drivers, and your thinking of going to winless Toyota??!!!
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/39851/
Old 08-30-2007, 07:49 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Must be getting too hot in the kitchen . Hammie putting the pressure on big time!
Old 08-30-2007, 07:58 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Or the dollars were just so big. Word has it that Joe Gibbs Racing in NASCAR might go Toyota. Money talks, BS walks I guess.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:19 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow he makes like 10k per turn. Incredible
Old 08-30-2007, 08:23 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

I don't think it's that crazy. Great money. He's probably already burned his bridge at McLaren and Toyota has actually been showing signs of life lately.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:00 PM
TeddyFreddy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
You're one of the best F1 drivers, and your thinking of going to winless Toyota??!!!
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/39851/
It is obvious: Toyota needs desperately to win, they started to look very lame (huge money spent in racing and no results). They have no sports car in their entire street cars lineup, Lexus included.

So they have made Alonso an offer that he cannot not refuse
Old 08-30-2007, 09:35 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

And probably Tony Stewart $$$$$$ ( I hope not though). Who amongst us would not take the mega dollars?
Old 08-30-2007, 11:08 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
And probably Tony Stewart $$$$$$ ( I hope not though). Who amongst us would not take the mega dollars?
me.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:20 AM
cosmoracer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's almost as bad as when Schumacher switched from his world champion team, to a team that hadn't won a title in 16 years.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:11 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmoracer
That's almost as bad as when Schumacher switched from his world champion team, to a team that hadn't won a title in 16 years.
Except most specators in F-1 hate Toyota according to a recent poll. Doubt it will be big in NASCAR either.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:55 AM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Except most specators in F-1 hate Toyota according to a recent poll. Doubt it will be big in NASCAR either.
I don't think that they hate Toyota. I just think that they think that Toyota has been pathetic considering that they spend the most money of any team and they have nothing to show for it.

Another reason might be because they hired Ralfy for so much money. The only thing that he has in common with his brother is his name.

I am a little pissed about Toyota for dumping Cristiano DaMatta. He clearly wasn't the problem.

NASCAR people dislike Toyota because it's not an American brand, even though they make more cars here in the US than the US auto makers do.

The funny irony is that Toyota is a laughing stock in F1, yet the NASCAR folks fear them because they think that they will be the dominant manufacturer in the series. On the world stage, Toyota consistently gets their *** handed to them. It would be pretty pathetic if they turned out to dominate NASCAR IMO.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:17 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Update
F1: Renault President - No Big Money for Alonso
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/39870/
Old 08-31-2007, 12:27 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
I wouldn't either.

Renault will more than likely have Heikki and Piquet Jr. driving for them next season with Fisi kicked to the curb.

I think that Renault really missed the boat by not looking at Sebastian Bourdais. They could've potentially had a top French driver in a top French car. C'est la vie.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:58 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Drivers in F1 are spectators too, they just get a better view of the track than the ones who pay for a seat in the bleachers....

Face it, they are all (for the most part) good drivers, the difference is all in the cars...

The problem for Alonso is that he has a massive case of extracranialintlitis, a common affliction that often happens to F1 drivers after they have been in a truly fast car for at least a couple of years. Some doctors believe it is caused by the high G forces only present in the fastest of F1 cars, but that has yet to be proven.

This affliction manifests itself by a serous swelling of the head. Some say it is caused by external social forces, they get so many people telling them they are so great, they think that they are responsible for it, even tho it is primarily the car...

Barrelofjello had a serious case of it and thought that he could make even a slow car fast. Look what happened when he went from Ferrari to wherever he is now. From a front of the pack to a back marker, I don’t even think he has one point this year. Same with Ralf and DC... Does anybody think that these guys forgot how to drive when they switched teams?

Put Scott Speed in a McLaren, or Ferrari and he would be right up there too. I think that a driver can bring some speed with him, but look at where each of the teammates qualifies. It is almost like the cars are gridded by manufacturer, each in line by pairs, each driver going just about as fast as his team mate. That in itself tells you something...
Old 08-31-2007, 08:30 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Solofast
The problem for Alonso is that he has a massive case of extracranialintlitis, a common affliction that often happens to F1 drivers after they have been in a truly fast car for at least a couple of years. Some doctors believe it is caused by the high G forces only present in the fastest of F1 cars, but that has yet to be proven.

Originally Posted by Solofast
Put Scott Speed in a McLaren, or Ferrari and he would be right up there too. I think that a driver can bring some speed with him, but look at where each of the teammates qualifies. It is almost like the cars are gridded by manufacturer, each in line by pairs, each driver going just about as fast as his team mate. That in itself tells you something...
Very true. Just look at Scott Speed's replacement (Vettel). He looked brilliant in the BMW-Sauber, but almost pathetic in Speed's old car.

Get notified of new replies

To WTF is Alonso thinking??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: WTF is Alonso thinking??