Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Atlanta Video

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:00 AM
spankythegator
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Road Atlanta Video

Video from NASA's HotLanta Challenge in my '02 Z06 running in TTS with a few clips from my buddy Eric in his C6 Z. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dLwsIcHGUg
Old 09-04-2007, 07:39 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

very nice, what mods do you have?
Old 09-04-2007, 08:44 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Want a critique?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:17 PM
spankythegator
Advanced

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Want a critique?
Definetly...critique away Chris....this was my first trip there and loved it so much we'll be going back in March.

Mods: Stock motor w/ tune 366rwhp, cat-back w/ cutouts, PFADT coilovers, carbotech brakes XP12/10, SS lines w/Motul fluid, brake duct extensions with the spindle attachment, race seat, T1 sways, Kumho v710 275f, 315r

Last edited by spankythegator; 09-04-2007 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:48 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

It is still a great track...not quite as ballsy as when it had "the dip" but still something special.

You obviously did really well especially for your first time there. On your hot lap, your lines were good and hit your apexes. There were a couple of places though where I see some possible time gains. You seemed to early apex 7 almost every time. You finally got to the point where you tracked out properly, but being a bit more patient upon entry would help you there. It's just a seat-time thing at that track.

There's no need to come quite so far back to the right exiting turn 1, going to 2 and 3 at the top of the hill. About mid track is enough to get a straight shot entry for 3.

Watching your steering inputs, it's obvious that you are pushing the steering wheel instead of pulling it. Look at the muscles in your forearm as you turn the wheel - they are straining. Those small muscles in your forearm and your shoulder will get really, really tired if you keep that up. Instead of pushing the steering wheel, trying pulling it...down. That way you use the big muscles in your side, and won't get so tired late in the weekend. When you get tired, you make mistakes - some big, some small. All are costly...for either lap times or your health.

It sounded like you lifted down the back straight...as you came thru turn 9. There's no need to lift. The car will stick just fine.

Track out on the exit of 10b. You should just touch those gators on the left. That way you get the max exit possible and don't scrub speed.

As you come over the bridge turn (11), it sounds like you lift coming over the hill and coast for quite a while before entering 12. Again, it's a confidence thing. Stay in 3d gear over the hill - the tires will bite. Once you shift to 4th, you'll need to lift for just a second to help the front tires to bite, but once they do, roll the throttle down smoothly thru 12.

That's just what I saw immediately. I'll get a chance to look at it again. Nice job though - you obviously have talent! You'd do well in T1 I think.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:31 PM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

is there a track map with all the turns numbered? so I can follow all the turns you are talking about...

about the pushing and pulling the wheel, you mean when you want to turn right you use right hand to pull the wheel and not left hand to push it, and when making a left turn, use left hand to pull it etc....did I get it right?
can you like use 90% to pull it and 10% to push it? or the pushing hand just steer it and don't do any pushing?
Old 09-05-2007, 03:22 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

It is still a great track...not quite as ballsy as when it had "the dip" but still something special.

You obviously did really well especially for your first time there. On your hot lap, your lines were good and hit your apexes. There were a couple of places though where I see some possible time gains. You seemed to early apex 7 almost every time. You finally got to the point where you tracked out properly, but being a bit more patient upon entry would help you there. It's just a seat-time thing at that track.

There's no need to come quite so far back to the right exiting turn 1, going to 2 and 3 at the top of the hill. About mid track is enough to get a straight shot entry for 3.

Watching your steering inputs, it's obvious that you are pushing the steering wheel instead of pulling it. Look at the muscles in your forearm as you turn the wheel - they are straining. Those small muscles in your forearm and your shoulder will get really, really tired if you keep that up. Instead of pushing the steering wheel, trying pulling it...down. That way you use the big muscles in your side, and won't get so tired late in the weekend. When you get tired, you make mistakes - some big, some small. All are costly...for either lap times or your health.

It sounded like you lifted down the back straight...as you came thru turn 9. There's no need to lift. The car will stick just fine.

Track out on the exit of 10b. You should just touch those gators on the left. That way you get the max exit possible and don't scrub speed.

As you come over the bridge turn (11), it sounds like you lift coming over the hill and coast for quite a while before entering 12. Again, it's a confidence thing. Stay in 3d gear over the hill - the tires will bite. Once you shift to 4th, you'll need to lift for just a second to help the front tires to bite, but once they do, roll the throttle down smoothly thru 12.

That's just what I saw immediately. I'll get a chance to look at it again. Nice job though - you obviously have talent! You'd do well in T1 I think.
I also think he could pick up a little speed in turn 4, seems like a little over coasting.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:40 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by okaythen
is there a track map with all the turns numbered? so I can follow all the turns you are talking about...
Here you go Road Atlanta Track Map

about the pushing and pulling the wheel, you mean when you want to turn right you use right hand to pull the wheel and not left hand to push it, and when making a left turn, use left hand to pull it etc....did I get it right?
can you like use 90% to pull it and 10% to push it? or the pushing hand just steer it and don't do any pushing?
Yes you got it.
Pulling the steering wheel down, to turn vs push over the top. ie for a right turn, Pull the steering wheel down with your right arm vs push over the top with your left arm.

Proper setting position is important to get the arm position. For the most part, when sitting in your seat, put your wrists over the top of the steering wheel. There should be almost a 90* bend in your elbows. So that when you put your hands at 10 and 2 or 9 and 3 You have the proper bend in you elbows.

Most ppl seat too far away from the steering wheel until they are shown how and where to sit for best steering wheel control.

and great video
Old 09-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Nice... brings back memories... haven't run RA since the Panoz school in '03.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:13 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

KEWL..........Looks like fun, I'll defineatly have to come sample Road Atlanta sometime soon.....
Old 09-05-2007, 11:22 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
KEWL..........Looks like fun, I'll defineatly have to come sample Road Atlanta sometime soon.....
Danny, you will have a ball at RA; I guarantee it. Will we see you in Topeka?

Frank Gonzalez
Old 09-05-2007, 01:01 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As you come over the bridge turn (11), it sounds like you lift coming over the hill and coast for quite a while before entering 12. Again, it's a confidence thing. Stay in 3d gear over the hill - the tires will bite. Once you shift to 4th, you'll need to lift for just a second to help the front tires to bite, but once they do, roll the throttle down smoothly thru 12.....:
I am nowhere near a fast guy at Road Atlanta - but I have a question.

I am short shifting to 4th just short of the bridge and this allows me to throttle all the way through. I am under throttle from 10b to T1 except for the shift.

Shifting to 4th coming down the hill runs a real risk of upsetting the car unless the planets are all aligned, every time...but this is what you recommend?

I know I lose time in T11 - T12 on most laps so I am wondering...

thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 01:30 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

You can do it either way. Since you may get a bit of wheel spin coming over the top of 11, it can be a good place to short-shift to 4th. There's nothing wrong with it. When you're trying to get the last .1 or .2, then staying in 3d over the hill is the way to go. Just make the shift to 4th nice and smooth, and don't rush it. There's nothing to be gained by a powershift there...so just make sure it goes in gear. Too easy.

Here's a good track map too. www.na-motorsports.com is an awesome site. I also put a pretty good "Hot Lap" write-up on there too...along with several other tracks.

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks...a_trackmap.jpg
Old 09-05-2007, 01:58 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

You can do it either way. Since you may get a bit of wheel spin coming over the top of 11, it can be a good place to short-shift to 4th. There's nothing wrong with it. When you're trying to get the last .1 or .2, then staying in 3d over the hill is the way to go. Just make the shift to 4th nice and smooth, and don't rush it. There's nothing to be gained by a powershift there...so just make sure it goes in gear. Too easy.

Thanks Chris
Old 09-05-2007, 04:36 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

very cool video
Old 09-05-2007, 07:14 PM
O.T.A.
Instructor

Feels weird telling you something, Jeff, but Todd changed my driving style from 10B to 12 that, if it didn't make me faster it made me more comfortable. Remember, I haven't tracked my Corvette yet, so this applies to my Mustang although from what the others posted it seems to be the way they are doing it.

Tim had me short shift climbing the hill to 11. I, like you, stay on the gas from 10B to 12. Shifting just before the bridge got it all done before the car got light over the hill and I could concentrate on my line down the hill and through 12.

As I said, I don't have your experience, but the method Tim taught me made driving that part of the track much more comfortable and I guess the higher comfort level will let me go faster.

Originally Posted by varkwso
I am nowhere near a fast guy at Road Atlanta - but I have a question.

I am short shifting to 4th just short of the bridge and this allows me to throttle all the way through. I am under throttle from 10b to T1 except for the shift.

Shifting to 4th coming down the hill runs a real risk of upsetting the car unless the planets are all aligned, every time...but this is what you recommend?

I know I lose time in T11 - T12 on most laps so I am wondering...

thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 09:47 PM
spankythegator
Advanced

Thanks Chris! But you do get some of the credit b/c your tracktape of RA helped me out tremendously! You hit all of my needed 'improvement areas' right on the head. The hot lap in the video was my 4th session on the track so I was still working on growing my ***** around most of the track but especially in turns 9 & 11/12 for sure! I finally got turn 7 down a little better on the last session apexing later helping out with the 'push' I was running into there....being the most imortant turn of all I guess I should've hit that first...derrr (mental note). By the end of the weekend I was flat in 9 and slightly more in the gas over 11 but I'm still leaving time there.....I started to nail some of my problem areas polishing here and there trying to get it all together in one lap without other costly mistakes but traffic (43 cars on track) was a major factor and the seemingly never ending red flags put a damper on things. Ohh well I knew I had left alot on the table and can't wait to go back and drop it down more! I've got a min. of 2-3 secs to drop before I'm even into T1 territory so we'll see what happens. 315's on the front should help.

Ohh and thanks for the steering input tip..I never noticed that and it's definelty something I need to work on...wait..I mean my arm muscles are always bulging like that....ha I wish! That's the oh sh*& factor in plain view gripping the wheel waaay too tight.

Thanks again Chris I really appreciate your help....now it's on to nationals at MidOhio....20+hr drive to soak up more tracktape of that course....I need all the help I can get going against Danny's raftracin' buddies!

Get notified of new replies

To Road Atlanta Video

Old 09-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I see where Chris is coming from on his T12 strategy...I try to be conservative there, short shift under the bridge into 4th and pedal it through there, trying to hit full throttle at the apex...I do not have it full all the way there, to me a big wall to hit, and not much to gain. I do not feel that my stock z06 will hold through 12 at full throttle. I do think that 12 is the money maker turn, and there is time to be gained, but when I ride with guys, I say short shift and be conservative in that turn, in a race, I am sure I would follow Chris' advice...In a race car, turn 10a is the start of the front straight, but in my car, I change it up a bit, since I cannot hold full throttle through there.

Tim

Last edited by Timz06; 09-05-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:49 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Timz06
I see where Chris is coming from on his T12 strategy...I try to be conservative there, short shift under the bridge into 4th and pedal it through there, trying to hit full throttle at the apex...I do not have it full all the way there, to me a big wall to hit, and not much to gain. I do not feel that my stock z06 will hold through 12 at full throttle. I do think that 12 is the money maker turn, and there is time to be gained, but when I ride with guys, I say short shift and be conservative in that turn, in a race, I am sure I would follow Chris' advice...In a race car, turn 10a is the start of the front straight, but in my car, I change it up a bit, since I cannot hold full throttle through there.

Tim

I will also continue to tell my students to short shift at the bridge. I do like the stability it provides and it lets them concentrate on the line (and traffic). I will save shifting going down the hill when I am chasing you! I also cannot hit full throttle till just after the apex - but I am sure it is due to my lack of intestinal fortitude....but I did start passing in T11/12 this last time at Road Atlanta

Traffic did make a big difference at Road Atlanta in TT that weekend - I never did get a full clean lap all weekend - but to my knowledge nobody else did either so we were all in the same boat. It looks like Roebling will be a full house also.

The Raftracer guys are also pretty free with advice, tools and help - but they are quick on the race course.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Diesel68
Instructor

I was there that weekend also, and I appreciate seeing some in car video as I try to learn. I have been hunting for Z06 videos of Road Atlanta and the one thing I notice is that drivers are short shifting to 4th coming to 12 and keeping it in 4th as they go into 1. It makes sense for learning the line as it eliminates shifting and allows the driver to focus, but is there an advantage to leaving it in 4th vs using the power of 3rd to climb up turn 1? I tried 4th, but it felt like I was out of my power band and was barely gaining speed, and so I decided to have my fun with 3rd. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta Video