Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two Champcar races cancelled

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:21 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Two Champcar races cancelled

Not good
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/310820...ose-races.html
Old 08-31-2007, 12:36 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

Well, the China date I never thought had a chance. CCWS TV coverage isn't helping either. The race in Belgium looked either like it was very, VERY, dim, or the cameras weren't quite as good as my camcorder.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 08-31-2007, 02:14 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 130 Posts

I wonder if this will make Champ and Indy go back to the negotiating table to work out a consolidation?
Old 08-31-2007, 02:17 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jwt1603
I wonder if this will make Champ and Indy go back to the negotiating table to work out a consolidation?
I wish they would. If they don't I think champ will lose out / fade out. For those who aren't very serious motorsports fans, all the "names" are in the indy series.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:21 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Not that much of a surprise. The shots of the crowds at most of the races show half full grand stands. Even the Indy cars are not drawing capacity crowds.

One thing that people don't always look at is that you are trying to sell this series to an American audience, and there are only two American born drivers in Champ car. Alex Figge and Graham Rahal are the only two American born drivers. When most of us think about Indy cars you think of the Unsers, Dan Gurney, Foyt, Mears, Andretti, etc. racing against each other. Hard to get people to put out their hard earned money to watch a series with drivers they have never heard of.

They need to combine the two series so maybe we can have some good open wheel racing in the country.

Larry
Old 08-31-2007, 06:08 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ALMS was a bigger draw at Road America than CCWS. The TV rating for the CCWS Zolder race was .07. The Phoenix race cancellation notice probably reached a larger audience than the TV coverage.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:26 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I love to watch all kinds of motorsports, but even I struggle to stay interested in Champ Car.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:37 AM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Larry has an excellent point - but I think the "gap" between the Champ Car ( or IRL, or GP1, or F1 ) and the American public goes much deeper than nationality or name recognition.

Our current generation of American motor racing fans (and I am speaking GENERALLY now!) do not seem to appreciate formula cars. They do not appreciate them, they do not understand them, nor do they want to understand them. For some reason, the American racing fan does not "relate" to that level of technology, sophistication, and capability in the way that the European audience does.

And, even when some apparent progress is made, as in bringing F1 to Indy, then we have a giant fiasco between Michelin, the constructors, and the FIA, and our (already skeptical) audience is treated to a parade of 6 cars! If I were wondering about road racing or formula cars, that would have made up my mind! And then there was Scott Speed, the Great American Hope . . . . .

We were absolutely thrilled 3 years ago, when big-time, professional formula car racing returned to Watkins Glen, after about a 25 year absence. (Unfortunately, it took the closing of the oval at Nazareth Speedway to bring this about.) In any event, we were not disappointed - the IRL put on an incredible show, shattering the previous, all-time lap record by around 10 seconds!

And again this past June, a new lap record was being posted almost by the minute during qualifying. It was absolutely thrilling stuff! Tickets were fairly inexpensive, the weather was beautiful all three days, the drivers were signing autographs when they were not driving, garage passes allowed the public to see all the cars "close-up", vendors were selling everything from IRL tee-shirts to motor homes; but where were the fans? Well, several thousand of us were there - grandstands one-half full.

Where were the rest? Waiting for the NASCAR race!
Ed
Old 09-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember the big crowds at the Glen for the F1 races in the 70's. Those were fantastic events. I still have the dash plaques up on the wall in my bar.

Where ar the rest? They're waiting for Nascar or WWF to come on tv, doesn't matter which, they're interchangable.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Gatorac
Pro

Originally Posted by 03Ragtop
I love to watch all kinds of motor sports, but even I struggle to stay interested in Champ Car.
What does Champ Car expect when a French driver wins both championships? Americans can stand the Scotts, the Aussies and even Columbians but the French????? They obviously blew it when they let Danica get picked up by the IRL too.

It's a shame as I can't stand Tony George, but it looks like the IRL may end up as the survivor, unless Champ Car does something impressive.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:16 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by 03Ragtop
I love to watch all kinds of motorsports, but even I struggle to stay interested in Champ Car.
Indy (type) cars are dead. Spec cars, spec engines, spec tires, spec brakes, spec shocks, zero innovation. Who cares anymore?
Old 09-02-2007, 08:33 PM
O.T.A.
Instructor

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Indy (type) cars are dead. Spec cars, spec engines, spec tires, spec brakes, spec shocks, zero innovation. Who cares anymore?
You practically described NASCAR there and yet it survives. Maybe it's the illusion of manufacturer differences?

Or maybe the Wrestling style plot lines and characters?
Old 09-02-2007, 08:51 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Agreed, both are sad, but there are different engines at least in NASCAR. What is Champ car versus IRL these days? Tony George has killed "Indy cars" with the stupid IRL versus CART now "Champ Car" pissing contest. What happened to the Penske's with pushrod engines, or the Lotus with Pratt and Whitney turbines? What has happened is boring "made for TV" crap.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:00 PM
O.T.A.
Instructor

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Agreed, both are sad, but there are different engines at least in NASCAR.
Not to start a debate, but the engines are built to such a stringent set of rules that they are practically spec engines, but I agree with your statement.

What is Champ car versus IRL these days? Tony George has killed "Indy cars" with the stupid IRL versus CART now "Champ Car" pissing contest. What happened to the Penske's with pushrod engines, or the Lotus with Pratt and Whitney turbines? What has happened is boring "made for TV" crap.
Most of those engine rules allowing pushrods, turbines, etc, were only found at Indy. Remember, even during CART's heyday, USAC sanctioned Indy, not CART. That's what allowed the creativity at Indy. Penske only ran the pushrod at Indy, for example. I too miss those days when Gurney showed up with the stock block Pontiacs, Penske with the pushrod MB/Illmore, Menard and others with the V6 Buicks. They need to bring back creativity and inventiveness.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:46 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Tony's 'Vision'
http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=9686

Change text size:Saturday, August 11, 2007
Art Center College students present far-reaching concepts

By Dave Lewandowski
indycar.com

PASADENA, Calif. – Shea Shatz paced behind a projection screen, animatedly reviewing notecards for his "Heroes of Indy" presentation while the assembly focused on the entertaining "Indy Addiction" program.

It was Super Thursday at the Art Center College of Design – an aptly-named day when Indy Racing League and Honda Performance Development officials, faculty and fellow students reviewed and discussed in an open forum the term projects of four trans-disciplinary teams that three months ago were challenged to imagine the future of the IndyCar Series.

Dubbed Indy 2011, the Funded Educational Project gave students representing the Transportation, Product, Entertainment and Environmental Design departments the challenge to design a hallmark IndyCar Series car and the opportunity to develop entertainment facets relating to motorsports (from crew gear to transporters and stages).

To immerse themselves in IndyCar Series culture, entertainment and technology, the students attended the 91st Indianapolis 500 in May.

Click it: Video highlights of the Art Center College of Design students' presentations http://www.indycar.com/multimedia/vi...ayer.php?v=746

"It was just an intense experience, and so many of them came back and said, 'I had no idea how intense that was. I'm a fan from here on out,' '' said Stewart Reed, chair of the Transportation Design department. "That propelled them with the notion that they could help people experience this that didn't gravitate toward motorsports.

"The automobile is mystical, and race cars are the most pure of the form. Single-seater, open-wheel, minimalistic. It's the fighter plane on wheels. For them, it was the challenge of taking this and going beyond what's sitting in the studio (IndyCar Series show car) and make something that is the extension of the entertainment process but something truly advanced."

Each of the four team projects accomplished the goal. Shatz's five-member team drew a parallel between artist-created superheroes and IndyCar Series drivers, transferring the theme across entertainment experiences at racetracks to car concepts that blend the history of the Indianapolis 500 with futuristic body and wing designs to a driver safety suit that is an extension of the chassis.

The project was designed without boundaries, and every multimedia presentation stretched the limit of current engineering and design standards.

The team termed "Athlete and Machine" envisioned blimps with video screens on the sides floating above venues and delivering drivers to their cars on a frontstretch stage. Among the "Dynamic Era of Motorsports" team's concepts was a clear-sided transporter displaying the car that transforms into a stage. The "Indy Addiction" group featured a video game in which contestants could be a virtual participant in an actual race.

The IndyCar Series delegation left Southern California with a treasure-trove of "gems" to digest and present to constituents.

"We will kick off at the Indy 500 this coming year the centennial era celebration, which is 2009, '10 and '11," said Terry Angstadt, president of the commercial division of the Indy Racing League. "The timing of this is just ideal to use as the background and some of the content ideas for that future."

Angstadt was joined by Indy Racing League founder and CEO Tony George, Honda Performance Development president Robert Clarke, and Dave Marek, chief designer of Honda R&D America, in extolling the passion and depth of the projects. They also were unified in seeing the potential of a conglomeration of car concepts that could evolve into the IndyCar of 2011.

"There could be the revolution, and I think some of these (designs) represent that," Angstadt said. "We strongly feel we have a great racing product right now, and until we get to 2011 we want to continue. But it's a very exciting time for us."

Said Clarke, an engineer whose company supplies the Honda Indy V-8 engines fueled by 100 percent fuel-grade ethanol to the IndyCar Series: "There were no pre-conceived solutions. I think we got a lot of interesting, thought-provoking ideas, and that's exactly what we wanted. To see people looking at these pieces of artwork and talking about the possibilities, to me the project accomplished what it was designed to do.

"If you look at it as a whole, you can pick bits and pieces from things and you actually can build a complete image. These designers are more stylists than engineers, so that's an element that probably is the next step. We need to take it and evolve it into something we can actually build, is safe and practical. Style is the first thing you see; it's you're first emotion. Those first impressions are critical in life; we deal with them every day. Seeing a car that evokes some passion and excitement is paramount. You could have the coolest piece of engineering, but unless it gives you some sense of excitement and something that you really want to watch this thing compete you totally lost it.

"All racing cars have evolved over time. They've become more pieces of engineering than design. That's why I think it's critical to bring back the design element. Without the design you can't win, but you can't have one (design and engineering) without the other."

Visuals of the Indy 2011 project will be made available at a future date.

More thoughts to digest over the next few months.
In Racecar Engineering he said they may not be opened wheeled cars at all.

there's forum feedback so you can tell them what you think
http://www.indycar.com/news/talkback...&story_id=9686
Old 09-03-2007, 12:30 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

We have always been able to kill off good series in this country. The Trans-Am, Can-Am, F5000 and the original IMSA series. What is really amazing is to look at pictures of the crowds at road races back in the 60's and 70's, even SCCA National events pulled in good crowds.

Promotion is everything, and it's just too bad the NASCAR has done a better job of it. When I was racing with the SCCA in the 80's, I was also writting a weekly racing column for a Bay Area newspaper. It was amazing how much material NASCAR would send me. On the opposite side, CART and the SCCA would only send me something when a race was coming up.

If look back at some of the old stories you will find that at some Grand Prix events the teams would have an extra car for a guest driver. Imagine the response they would have had at a F1 race at Indy if they would have stuck Stewart or Gordan into a car for the weekend.

You can sell "names" to the public. Even the NBA now using the star players to promote games rather than the teams. Most of our road racing series seem to think that they can just stick some cars out on the track and people will show up, it just doesn't work that way any more.

Larry
Old 09-03-2007, 02:45 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by folsomlarry
Promotion is everything, and it's just too bad the NASCAR has done a better job of it.
I don't think that statement is quite fair. It implies that if NASCAR hadn't gotten there first that other forms of racing would be much better off.

CART, USAC, etc. have *never* promoted their products enough, other than the Indy 500. The cachet of Indy just carried them through the rest of the season, and once that flower faded they (CART, IRL, CCWS, whichever) just fell on their face. The fact that NASCAR promoted their product successfully is not "just too bad."

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-03-2007, 03:43 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
I don't think that statement is quite fair. It implies that if NASCAR hadn't gotten there first that other forms of racing would be much better off.

CART, USAC, etc. have *never* promoted their products enough, other than the Indy 500. The cachet of Indy just carried them through the rest of the season, and once that flower faded they (CART, IRL, CCWS, whichever) just fell on their face. The fact that NASCAR promoted their product successfully is not "just too bad."

Have a good one,
Mike
Mike,

Bad choice of words on my part. Growing up a road racing fan I just wish that one of the road racing based series would have promoted itself as well as NASCAR has done.

Larry
Old 09-03-2007, 04:27 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by folsomlarry
Growing up a road racing fan I just wish that one of the road racing based series would have promoted itself as well as NASCAR has done.

Larry
I second that!

Get notified of new replies

To Two Champcar races cancelled

Quick Reply: Two Champcar races cancelled