Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on the Toyo RA1 take-offs? Are they good? 56k NOPE

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 01:23 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Opinions on the Toyo RA1 take-offs? Are they good? 56k NOPE

Hello,

Sorry for the HUGE pictures but I wanted everyone to see a very good picture of the tires.

Do you think these are good for 2 hard drive HPDE days?

THANKS!

Front

Front

Rear

Rear
Old 08-31-2007, 03:25 PM
racer02
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Those look barely broken in! I used to buy scrubbs that started life as World Challenge shave depth (3/32"?) with a few sessions on them that looked worse than those.
I would personally expect at least 2-3 really good track days out of them at solo student or instructor level pace unless you are going to a track that eats tires.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:45 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've always said "if theres tread on the field, go play"

Old 08-31-2007, 04:05 PM
Red Gump
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you asking if they'll last for 2 days or if they look good having been driven for 2 days? if you need them for 2 hpde days, they should be ok. don't expect good grip. they fall off after about 6 cycles. I've had tread look good after 12 cycles, which is where I pitch 'em.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:25 PM
ForceFedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks guys!

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't paying to mount tires that wont last me long at all.

A heat cycle is considered aggressive driving right? Drive them on the highway for an hour or 2 isnt a heat cycle.. I hope..
Old 09-01-2007, 08:30 AM
racer02
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Hwy driving won't get enough heat in them to count as a heat cycle in my experience. Even if they did, it would only be one heat cycle which is really no biggie at all. I drove full tread RA-1s daily at one point and then drove them to the track and back until they corded out. Not ideal, but it worked ok.

I personally have never experienced a significant loss in grip with shaved RA-1's until they get very near corded. The top racers sell them after a few heat cycles because they drop off some at that point, but they are by no means "heat cycled out" with even 20-30 heat cycles on them (in my experience). Most likely I am just not good enough to tell the difference without datalogging or incar lap timers

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on the Toyo RA1 take-offs? Are they good? 56k NOPE

Quick Reply: Opinions on the Toyo RA1 take-offs? Are they good? 56k NOPE