Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:18 PM
drimola
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Question

I have been looking for a set of road course wheels for my 08 Z51 M6. Today I realized I had a set of four 92 or 93 ZR1 (five spoke) front wheels in the out building and wondered it they would fit the 08. I put one on the front of the 08 and found the wheels cleared the calipers by about 1/8 inch--really close, but it rotated freely except for the tape on wheel weights which could easily be moved to the outside for race wheels. The wheel had a 275/40/17 mounted, and it looked like the diameter/width allowed for plenty of clearance. I like the idea of using these wheels since if I ran all four same size tires, I could rotate them for better life, and I think more reasonably priced rubber is available in the 17 inch sizes.

My questions: Is the 1/8 inch clearance adequate? What tire sizes would be best choice? Can I run the same size on the front and rear in competition mode without problems- if not, can I just turn the system off? Would I need tire sensors? What are other options for race wheels (thinking of some factory wheels to keep cost down) for the 08?
Old 09-05-2007, 08:46 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

That's about all a stock C5 has on the front. The only problem you may have is if you kick up a small rock and it jumps between the caliper and and the wheel. I know this cause I have a ring on the inside of one of my fronts after an auto-x event.

You should be fine.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:11 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

It is nice to rotate the tires but you may want to see if you can trade one set of fronts for a set of rears (11x17). The car will behave better with the larger tires in the rear.
Bill
Old 09-06-2007, 04:12 PM
drimola
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replys...anyone know what issues will arrise from lack of tire pressure sensors on the 08??

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel Question

Quick Reply: Wheel Question